why does virtual pc 7 run so slow

hotrod351

Jun 28, 2005, 1:35:56 PM6/28/05
i have a power mac g4 with 1.5 gb memory, 80 gb hard drive and 533
mhz. i installed virtual pc 7 a few days ago and whaooo does it run
slow, im on dsl and for my mac its fats as hell, but when i go to
virtual 7 its a joke, i mean its worse than web tv dial-up.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Virtual-PC-run-slow-ftopict152371.html

Unseelie

Jun 28, 2005, 1:44:13 PM6/28/05
You generally can't expect more than 30 to 50% of the speed of your
Mac's processor, and you are below the minimum specification for VPC
7.0 (700mhz minimum). There are a number of things you can do to
optimize performance though.

1) Open the properties of My Computer, click the advanced tab and open
Performance. Then click the 'Best Performance' radio button and apply
the changes. - this matters most if you have installed your own version
of XP.

2) Despite what you would expect, assigning more RAM to a VM will make
it slower, not faster. Don't give Windows XP more than 256mb.

3) Don't raise the VRAM settings beyond what you need for millions of
colors in full screen (likely 8mb).

4) Don't run it at the same time as other Mac apps that want to make
full use of the processor. Also, if you don't need that Mac app, might
as well quit it.

Helpful Harry

Jun 28, 2005, 4:59:16 PM6/28/05
In article <1119980653.8...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Unseelie" <unse...@gmail.com> wrote:

5) Use Windows 95 or Windows 98 instead of resource hog and
twiddly-bit-filled Windows XP.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships ;o)

hotrod351

Jun 29, 2005, 12:35:34 AM6/29/05

well i cut back the memory, now its worse than ever. i dont know what
im thinking, for $500.00 i can buy a pretty decent hp computer.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Virtual-PC-run-slow-ftopict152371.html

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.macforumz.com/eform.php?p=603834

jean-mich...@wanadoo.fr

Jun 29, 2005, 4:07:27 AM6/29/05

jean-mich...@wanadoo.fr

Jun 29, 2005, 8:34:39 AM6/29/05
the same document without B 7 :

Objet : Re: How to optimize virtual PC 7.0.1

This is a document of the VPC former owner Connectix:
Optimizing Windows XP Professional and Home Edition For Connectix
Virtual PC.

This document provides information on how to optimize Windows XP
Professional and/or Home Edition to improve performance under Virtual
PC.
Windows XP contains many visual effects, themes and other enhancements
that give the operating system the new XP look and "feel". When run in
Virtual PC however, these visual enhancements affect the overall feel
and performance of the operating system -
especially when compared to a Windows 2000 operating system. This
document explains how to disable these enhancements to improve
performance.
These optimizations can be applied to any version of Windows XP Home or
Professional running in either Connectix Virtual PC for Mac or
Connectix Virtual PC for Windows.

System Properties
The following features are controlled through the System Properties
dialog which can be accessed by clicking the Start button, choosing
Control Panel and then selecting System.

Visual Effects
Windows XP contains a variety of special effects and visual
enhancements such as animated menus, fade effects, cursor shadows, menu
shadows, etc. Disabling some of these settings can make Windows
XP feel "snappier" when opening menus and windows.

Follow the steps below to optimize the Visual Effects settings.
· Open Control Panel from the Start menu and choose "System".
· Choose the "Advanced" tab.
· Select the "Settings" button under the Performance section.
· Check the "Adjust for best performance" box and click "Apply" to
apply the settings.
Note: If you choose the "Custom" option, you can selectively enable or
disable specific effects. The cursor shadowing effect can have a
noticeable impact on performance. If you choose to leave some of the
effects on, Connectix recommends that you at least disable the cursor
shadowing effect.

Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop allows another user to control Windows from a remote
location. This function can also be used for support by Microsoft
technicians to provide support by controlling your operating system
(upon request) for troubleshooting various issues. Unless you have a
need for remote operation of Windows XP and are experienced in setting
up the connections and preferences, it's recommended that you disable
this option.
· Choose the "Remote" tab
· Make sure both "Allow Remote Assistance..." and "Allow users to
connect..." are unchecked and click OK.

System Restore
Windows XP contains a feature known as System Restore which allows you
to restore your OS back to a pre-defined point. This feature can be
useful if you have significant data on your drive and you experiment
with various beta software and/or drivers that could conceivably cause
instability in the operating system.
This feature requires monitoring of your drive(s) and data on a
continuous basis and a fair amount of overhead resources to run.
Unless you have a great need for this functionality, you can opt to
disable it.
*Note that you can use the Undo Drives feature in Virtual PC to reverse
changes made to an operating system. Consult the Virtual PC manual or
built-in help for more information on using Undo Drives.
· Choose the "System Restore" tab.
· Check the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box and click OK
-confirm OK when asked if you're sure you want to disable
SystemRestore.

Automatic Updates
Windows XP contains functionality to check the Microsoft Windows Update
website on a regular basis to determine if any operating system updates
are available. This feature may still be active even when a
machine is not connected to a network. Updates can be downloaded
automatically or the user may choose to simply be notified that updates
are available. However, it is possible for the user to perform these
operations manually whenever desired by simply clicking the "Windows
Update" option in the Start menu while connected to the Internet. To
improve performance, Connectix recommends that you turn off the
Automatic Updating feature and invoke it manually from time to time.
· Choose the "Automatic Updates" tab.
· Uncheck the "Keep my computer up to date..." box.
· If this box isn't displayed, then check the box that says "Turn off
automatic updating..."
Once the changes above have been applied, close the System Properties
dialog by clicking OK. You'll be asked to restart the PC - allow
Windows to restart before continuing to the next section of
optimizations.

Display Properties
A variety of special effects and features can be optimized in the
Display Properties dialog.
Display Properties
To access Display Properties:
-Open Control Panel from the Start menu and choose Display.
· Choose the "Desktop" tab and set the Background to "None" (the first
available option).
· Select the "Appearance" tab.
· Under "Windows and buttons", choose "Windows Classic Style" from the
drop-down menu.
· Click the "Effects" button.
· Uncheck all options and click OK.
· Click OK to close the Display Properties and apply the changes.

Start Menu and Taskbar
There are several areas of the Taskbar and Start Menu that can be
optimized for better performance.
Start Menu/Taskbar
To access the Taskbar properties:
-Right-click (CTRL-click) on the Windows XP Start button and choose
"Properties" from the menu that appears.
· Choose "Classic Start Menu"
· Click the "Customize" button
· Select the "Show Small Icons in Start Menu" option
· Uncheck any other items that you may not use to reduce the number of
items that appear in the Start menu

Folder Options
The way that items in folders are displayed can have an impact on the
perceived speed of the operating system. Follow these steps to optimize
folder views in Windows XP.
· Open My Computer.
· Open the C: Drive (Local Disk).
· Choose "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu.
· Make sure "Use Windows classic folders" is selected.
· Select the "View" tab.
· Uncheck the "Automatically search for network folders and
printers"option.
· Click "Apply".
· Click the "Apply to All Folders" button.
· Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog."

I hope this document will help some of you.

Why B7 appear in the previous document ?
I don't know it

Patrick Mast, xHarbour.com Inc.

Jun 29, 2005, 9:20:26 AM6/29/05
Hello,

Should we use page files in VPC 7.0.2?
Is it faster IF we use it?

--
Best regards,

Patrick Mast
xHarbour.com Inc.
http://www.xHarbour.com

Robert Moir

Jun 29, 2005, 12:54:15 PM6/29/05
hotrod351 wrote:

> well i cut back the memory, now its worse than ever. i dont know what
> im thinking, for $500.00 i can buy a pretty decent hp computer.

There is no such thing as a pretty decent HP desktop computer. No, really,
there isn't. Just stuff that appears reasonable until you get it home.

Message has been deleted

Steve Jain

Jun 29, 2005, 4:41:49 PM6/29/05
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:50:13 -0700, Michael Vilain
<vil...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>In article <#FsrusMf...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,

>Same with Dell laptops. A client of mine won't even give the Dell sales
>people any sort of civil response when they call his business.

Hmm, I've used many Dell notebooks over the years and never had
problems with them. My personal notebook is a Dell, over 2 years old
and still works great.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

Message has been deleted

hotrod351

Jun 29, 2005, 11:36:00 PM6/29/05

thats why i uninstalled virtual pc7. theres nothing wrong with my mac,
hell i love my old mac, its indestructable. i just thought it would be
fun to mess around with windows. where i live no-one seels, works on,
or has any interest in macs, but its what i was give, 3 years ago, and
i love it. just the little bit of messing with windows didnt do
anything for me, seems like it a big advertisement, buy this, buy
that, you need this, you need that. ill stick with mac. makes me an
oddity here, you know different.

--
Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/Virtual-PC-run-slow-ftopict152371.html

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.macforumz.com/eform.php?p=604171

Tony Kavadias

Jun 30, 2005, 3:55:19 AM6/30/05
I thought I'd add my few cents here...

I am running Virtual PC on my 867 MHz PowerBook G4 here,
and Virtual PC is able to:

1) run Minesweeper effortlessly, and allow me to win! ;-)
2) run Microsoft Word 2003 Viewer effortlessly
3) run Internet Explorer 6SP1 effortlessly
4) run Firefox 1.0.4 with some speed issues with regards
to entering text and operating menus, but otherwise
without trouble
5) run Outlook Express without a hassle or a care (even
when replying to this post)
6) run Java 5 applications with a bit of patience, but
still good enough for most purposes (such as small
applet videos and some simple desktop tools)
7) play back audio streams using iTunes for Windows without
a hiccup
8) fast-forward some QuickTime movies at greater than
20 frames per second... not that I watch movies this
way very often!

I reckon that's pretty good for an under-powered system and
an x86 emulator!

--
-- tonza.

"hotrod351" <UseLink...@MacForumz.com> wrote in message

MacKenzieMouse

Jun 30, 2005, 11:18:26 AM6/30/05
to Michael Vilain
Michael Vilain wrote:
> In article <ar16c1tqtbbcpb2li...@4ax.com>,

> Steve Jain <essj...@Spam-hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:50:13 -0700, Michael Vilain
>><vil...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>>Same with Dell laptops. A client of mine won't even give the Dell sales
>>>people any sort of civil response when they call his business.
>>
>>Hmm, I've used many Dell notebooks over the years and never had
>>problems with them. My personal notebook is a Dell, over 2 years old
>>and still works great.
>

> Since I run a Mac, I just listen, nod my head and file their complaints
> away.
>
> My client banned Dell laptops from his business because he had not 1 but
> 2 die and be unresurrectable by Dell support. They were even replaced
> entoto, only to still have problems. He got tired of not having a
> computer and bought something else. He hasn't had any problems since.
> Granted this data is 2 years old, about the time the Steve "Dude, you're
> getting a Dell" guy was on their commercials. But this isn't the way
> Dell or any computer company should be building a customer relationship,
> especially with a small business.
>
> Don't know what to tell you. Obviously, YMMV.

I got mine to run much faster when I went into the Mac's system
preferences and set the colors to millions. That seems to match vpc's
settings hence the rendering is very fast now and I have no complaints.

MacKenzieMouse

Jun 30, 2005, 11:20:48 AM6/30/05
to Tony Kavadias
Tony Kavadias wrote:
> I thought I'd add my few cents here...
>
> I am running Virtual PC on my 867 MHz PowerBook G4 here,
> and Virtual PC is able to:
>
> 1) run Minesweeper effortlessly, and allow me to win! ;-)
> 2) run Microsoft Word 2003 Viewer effortlessly
> 3) run Internet Explorer 6SP1 effortlessly
> 4) run Firefox 1.0.4 with some speed issues with regards
> to entering text and operating menus, but otherwise
> without trouble
> 5) run Outlook Express without a hassle or a care (even
> when replying to this post)
> 6) run Java 5 applications with a bit of patience, but
> still good enough for most purposes (such as small
> applet videos and some simple desktop tools)
> 7) play back audio streams using iTunes for Windows without
> a hiccup
> 8) fast-forward some QuickTime movies at greater than
> 20 frames per second... not that I watch movies this
> way very often!
>
> I reckon that's pretty good for an under-powered system and
> an x86 emulator!

I run visual studio with C# and sql server. Runs fine.

Steve Jain

Jun 30, 2005, 2:57:04 PM6/30/05
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:18:26 -0500, MacKenzieMouse
<no-spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I got mine to run much faster when I went into the Mac's system
>preferences and set the colors to millions. That seems to match vpc's
>settings hence the rendering is very fast now and I have no complaints.

Yeah, this is one thing that does speed of VPC, but gets overlooked a
lot. When the colors are matched, there's no translation necessary.

Unseelie

Jun 30, 2005, 7:35:19 PM6/30/05
So, if you don't use VPC and have no intention of ever using VPC, and
have no need to use Windows, why are you wasting your time in this
forum?