Compile Error in Hidden Module: ....

Rob Batey

Dec 10, 2003, 8:02:39 PM12/10/03
When using word and excel I get the following error messages:

Compile Error in Hidden Module: AutoExec

and

Compile Error in Hidden Module: Utils

Any idea how to solve this problem? Although the files that i open
seem to be usable, I get these messages when opening and closing files
(occasionally word files are not opening from within entourage), as
well as when opening the programs or closing them. I am runnning OSX
10.2.8, Word X. I have downloaded the latest version of the office
updates (10.1.5), but interestingly, when I click on the program
icons, Entourage and Word show up as version of 10.1.4, whereas excel
and powerpoint show up as 10.1.5.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Dec 19, 2003, 10:12:30 AM12/19/03
If you have Norton Antivirus, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office
installed, this error often shows up. Look at this website:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307410

I just got off the phone with a client in your exact same situation,
and despite the fact that the above support document is for
Windows-based machines, apparently the steps apply to Macs as well.
Good luck.

John McGhie [MVP - Word]

Jan 1, 2004, 1:55:58 AM1/1/04
Hi Dan:

Good call. Yes, that document does apply to Adobe PDF Maker on the Mac as
well. Regrettably, Adobe seems to have a very sloppy approach to coding
their Word add-in. It blows up on PCs as well as on Macs.

However, before blaming Adobe, it's worth quitting Word and re-naming the
Normal template, as described here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1e276.htm

Note: Trashing is no good: either drag it to the desktop or rename it.
Word will then create a new Normal when it starts. The Adobe utility relies
on your Normal template to hand it a clean blank document at the beginning
of the process. If it can't handle the blank document it gets, it will blow
up.

If this cures your problem, you can use Word's Organizer utility to retrieve
your Styles, Toolbars, Macros and AutoCorrect entries from your old Normal
template. Then delete it, otherwise it will pass this problem on to all of
your new documents.

Hope this helps

This responds to microsoft.public.mac.office.word on 19 Dec 2003 07:12:30
-0800, dana...@mit.edu (Dan):