Word Mail Merge - Missing Excel Converter for xlsx files

Ste...@officeformac.com

Apr 29, 2008, 5:07:42 AM4/29/08
Version: 2008
Processor: intel

When I try to connect a mail merge document in Word 2008 with an Excel 2008 file in xlsx format, an error message appears saying that the system cannot find the requested converter.

If I save the same Excel spreadsheet in the old xls format, it works properly.

Where can I get the missing converter the system is asking for?

Stephan

John McGhie

Apr 29, 2008, 9:04:30 AM4/29/08
Hi Stephan:

The fix should be in the service pack that is due out very soon.

It's not actually looking for a "converter", it's looking for "Excel"
itself, and failing to find it.

Cheers

On 29/04/08 6:37 PM, in article ee99e...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Ste...@officeformac.com" <Ste...@officeformac.com> wrote:

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name

Shawn Larson [MSFT]

Apr 29, 2008, 3:14:49 PM4/29/08
Stephan,

This should be very straight forward, meaning if you have an Mac Excel 2008 (.xlsx) file as your mail merge data source, Mac Word 2008 will convert the file and use it as your data source.  The Word converter for Excel files is included with the Office package.  Let’s make sure you have the supporting files installed in the correct location.  In the ‘Office Converter Support’ folder (located at <Start Up Disk>:Library:Application Support:Microsoft:Office Converter Support) you should see the following files:

    MicrosoftChartPlugiIn.framework
    MicrosoftComponentPlugIn.framework
    MicrosoftOffice.framework
    MicrosoftOLE.framework
    MicrosoftOLEAutomation.framework
    MicrosoftOleo.framework
    MSXML.framework
    OfficeArt.framework
    Open XML for Charts
    Open XML for Excel
    Open XML for Excel.framework
    SmartArt.framework

If you are not seeing all of these files in that folder, post a reply to the newsgroup and we’ll proceed from there.

Shawn Larson
Mac Word Test
Microsoft MacBU

Find out everything about Microsoft Mac Newsgroups at:
[http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups]
Check out product updates and news & info at: [http://www.microsoft.com//mac]

Jim Gordon MVP

Apr 29, 2008, 9:53:46 PM4/29/08

Although Microsoft has not yet released a converter, you can use
NeoOffice to convert these files. NeoOffice is free from
http://www.neooffice.org/

Simply open the xlsx file in NeoOffice and use File > Save As to save it
in the older xls format (which has a limit 65,536 rows per worksheet).

Then you will be able to use Excel as your data source for the mail
merge in Word.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are independent experts who are not affiliated with Microsoft.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Visit my blog
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-i7JMeio7cqvhotIUwCzaJWq9

Ste...@officeformac.com

Apr 30, 2008, 3:38:19 AM4/30/08
Hi Shawn,

I've checked the files with the following result:

The files are located in Macintosh HD:Programme:Microsoft Office 2008:Office

except these three files, which I couldn't find on my computer:

Open XML for Charts
Open XML for Excel
Open XML for Excel.framework

By the way I'm using the German version of Office 2008.

Any suggestions?

Stephan

> Stephan,
>
> This should be very straight forward, meaning if you have an Mac Excel 2008 (.xlsx) file as your mail merge data source, Mac Word 2008 will convert the file and use it as your data source. The Word converter for Excel files is included with the Office package. Let's make sure you have the supporting files installed in the correct location. In the 'Office Converter Support' folder (located at <Start Up Disk>:Library:Application Support:Microsoft:Office Converter Support) you should see the following files:
>
> MicrosoftChartPlugiIn.framework
> MicrosoftComponentPlugIn.framework
> MicrosoftOffice.framework
> MicrosoftOLE.framework
> MicrosoftOLEAutomation.framework
> MicrosoftOleo.framework
> MSXML.framework
> OfficeArt.framework
> Open XML for Charts
> Open XML for Excel
> Open XML for Excel.framework
> SmartArt.framework
>

> If you are not seeing all of these files in that folder, post a reply to the newsgroup and we’ll proceed from there.
>
> Shawn Larson
> Mac Word Test
> Microsoft MacBU
> --
>
> Find out everything about Microsoft Mac Newsgroups at:
> [http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups]
> Check out product updates and news & info at: [http://www.microsoft.com//mac]

Shawn Larson [MSFT]

Apr 30, 2008, 11:31:05 AM4/30/08
Stephan,

Thanks much for specifying you’re using the German version of Office 2008.  I will need to do some some verification on my end if the Word Excel converter is included with international version.  Once I have that information, I’ll reply to this post.

Thanks!

Shawn Larson
Mac Word Test
Microsoft MacBU