Word wont convert to pdf

At...@officeformac.com

Mar 23, 2009, 8:53:07 AM3/23/09
Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

When i try to convert a word document to pdf file, the bar wont finish to the end. It wont convert to PDF.

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Mar 23, 2009, 12:03:04 PM3/23/09
Office 2004 doesn't have have a custom converter built in for pdf.

If you have an older version of Adobe acrobat the Adobe Driver is slower
than the Seven year itch ( :-) a term used much by my mother and Dad
I'll be 60 within a few days.) Sometimes it won't even work. If you use
the save as PDF feature in the Printer Menu your using Apple's on
Converter for PDF. It works much faster. But a Caveat. Because of
contractual obligation between apple and Adobe. Apple version of the
adobe PDF engine will never ever be the newest version. If they used the
latest adobe would stop all production for Acrobat on the Mac platform
within a day of doing so. They will always use a version one or two
versions behind to ensure that acrobat remains a product for the Mac Market.

Office 2008 does have a PDF converter built in Save AS ... Menu. Its MS
on Version. MS is so large they can tell Adobe take a flying leap so
they can create or use the latest Technology with impunity.

In fact 20008's PDF Converter overcomes a problem That over comes
acrobat to to this day if you have a problem with having multiple PDF
with a Word Document because certain page page or section breaks. The
Converter in 2008n over comes this.

So while it it would be well to keep you Office2004 around because to
the Macros System. It would be well to have 2008 just for the benefit of
of this PDF Converter.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http: //www.phillipmjones.net http://www.vpea.org

cmku...@officeformac.com

Mar 27, 2009, 11:15:06 PM3/27/09
My copy of Word 2008 will NOT convert a large (80-100M) document with several sections and paper sizes into a single pdf. It breaks it into several files. I've been wondering if, since the "save as PDF" function is buried in the Print menu, that the paper size limitations on my two printers limit the PDF creation.

Any clues?

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Mar 28, 2009, 9:33:33 AM3/28/09
If your using 2008 go to Save As... Menu and select PDF.

Microsoft has come up with their own PDF converter. Despite what experts
say It is Not a Short cut through the Printer Menu, its a True Converter.

I don't know about pages That have different Page orientations. But
Regular Page and Section Breaks if the page orientation are the same Is
a seamless PDF. I've tried it.

The Print to PDF feature in the Printer menu uses the same system that
Adobe uses, because Apple licenses the view system (PDF) from Acrobat.

And to prevent Adobe discontinuing Acrobat products on Mac Platform The
PDF engine is about one to two version behind the current version Adobe
has out.

Try the built in PDF Converter and see if it makes a difference.

If it still breaks with Page orientation issues there are various
applications you can pickup to knit the various Pdf's into one seamless PDF.

CyberTaz

Mar 28, 2009, 10:54:42 AM3/28/09
First of all, please understand that Word doesn't create the PDF - Just like
any other print job Word calls for the service & hands the data off. It's up
to the printer being used to generate the output.

Word offers 2 directions you can go:

File> Print> PDF - which uses the PDF generator supplied by OS X, and

File> Save As - PDF which uses the PDF generator supplied by MS.

They each have their pros/cons as Phillip has suggested, but *neither* will
create a single PDF from a file which contains a mixture of Portrait &
Landscape pages. It's inconvenient, perhaps, but no big deal to combine the
output into a single PDF file - especially if you're running in Leopard
(10.5.x). The output PDFs will be consecutively numbered from
[Filename2.pdf] to [FilenameN.pdf]... Just open the unnumbered PDF
[Filename.pdf] in Preview & expose the Sidebar. Then bring a Finder window
to the fore, select the numbered PDFs & drag them into Preview's Sidebar
below the last page of the open PDF.

If you're using Tiger or earlier you'll need a PDF stitcher utility which
you can obtain free from sources such as VersionTracker.com among others.

If you have Adobe Acrobat 8 or later, however, you can use that instead of
either of the above options.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

PS: For future reference please don't splash down in another thread simply
because it "seems to be" somewhat similar. The OP is using Office 2004 & has
a different problem. Mixing issues makes it much more difficult for anyone
tying to assist or simply follow the thread. Thanks for your cooperation :-)

On 3/27/09 11:15 PM, in article 59b70...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

CyberTaz

Mar 28, 2009, 11:02:12 AM3/28/09
You'll need to provide a good deal more detail before we can understand what
the problem is, let alone offer any suggestions.

We need your exact update level of both OS X & Office.

We need to know exactly what method you're using to generate the PDF.

We need to know something about the structure & content of the document as
well as whether this happens with *all* or just one specific file.

We need to know what *does* happen if it "wont finish to the end"... Where
does it quit? Does the program crash? Does it create a PDF which doesn't
have all the expected content? Do you get no PDF file at all?????

We're here because we want to assist, but we can't see you from here nor are
we psychic or telepathic. We can only go on what you tell us.

Regards |:>)

Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/23/09 8:53 AM, in article 59b70...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Mar 29, 2009, 2:39:32 PM3/29/09
Thank for the additional info. Other here have said that the Save as PDF
in the Save As... Menu is just another short cut to the print menu.

I have tried Both and I have to put pieces back together if I use the
save as PDF in the Print menu. Where if I use the Save As... Then choose
PDF. Then I never have tried two different orientations so I don't know
if that works.

Carey

Mar 30, 2009, 2:23:26 PM3/30/09
I read the other responses in this thread and can add the following "solution" for 2004.  First, save your document as an RTF (rich text file).  Then go to Print and in the lower left corner you will see a place to save the RTF as a PDF.  I created a book (over 200 pp.) using this method, and it came as a single file.

But clearly, as has been reported in other messages, this is not a "true" PDF.  For example, I tried to upload it to Kindle, which said that it did not recognize the file.

CyberTaz

Mar 30, 2009, 6:44:01 PM3/30/09
Sorry, but it isn't the number of pages that causes the multiple PDFs -
length of the document makes no difference. It's mixing Portrait & Landscape
*orientation* within the same document that causes the multiple PDFs.

Regards |:>)

Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/30/09 2:23 PM, in article OjrafSWs...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Carey" <mck...@mac.com> wrote:

> I read the other responses in this thread and can add the following
> "solution" for 2004. First, save your document as an RTF (rich text
> file). Then go to Print and in the lower left corner you will see a
> place to save the RTF as a PDF. I created a book (over 200 pp.) using
> this method, and it came as a single file.
>
> But clearly, as has been reported in other messages, this is not a
> "true" PDF. For example, I tried to upload it to Kindle, which said
> that it did not recognize the file.
>

> *Steve*
> Browse My "Old" Writing <http://www.fear-itself.com> and ... New
> <http://careystevens.blogspot.com>
> Genealogy, News & Information <http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm>
> My Cycling Journals
> <http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=ZkMC&user=MacEasy&v=bE>

John McGhie

Apr 1, 2009, 6:19:33 AM4/1/09
Saving the file as RTF should make no difference at all.

RTF is very similar to Word 2004's native binary format (well, it
effectively is Word's native format, expressed in ASCII instead of
binary...)

However, if there is a corrupted object in the document, Word will not be
able to read it, and will therefore not save it to the RTF file, which may
allow the conversion to succeed.

If such a conversion does succeed, the problem is a corruption in the .doc
file, and something is now missing from both the RTF and the PDF :-)

Cheers

On 31/03/09 5:23 AM, in article OjrafSWs...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Carey" <mck...@mac.com> wrote:

> I read the other responses in this thread and can add the following
> "solution" for 2004. First, save your document as an RTF (rich text
> file). Then go to Print and in the lower left corner you will see a
> place to save the RTF as a PDF. I created a book (over 200 pp.) using
> this method, and it came as a single file.
>
> But clearly, as has been reported in other messages, this is not a
> "true" PDF. For example, I tried to upload it to Kindle, which said
> that it did not recognize the file.
>

> *Steve*
> Browse My "Old" Writing <http://www.fear-itself.com> and ... New
> <http://careystevens.blogspot.com>
> Genealogy, News & Information <http://pages.suddenlink.net/fox38/index.htm>
> My Cycling Journals
> <http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=ZkMC&user=MacEasy&v=bE>
>

> At...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Version: 2004
>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> Processor: Intel
>>
>> When i try to convert a word document to pdf file, the bar wont finish to the
>> end. It wont convert to PDF.

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia. mailto:jo...@mcghie.name