Trendline problems

kols...@officeformac.com

Feb 21, 2010, 5:32:52 PM2/21/10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I plotted an xy scatter plot in excel and had no trouble. But I want to add a trendline and it won't let me. When I click on the "chart" menu, I can see where it says "add trendline", but it isn't an available choice for this graph. Why?

Mike Middleton

Feb 21, 2010, 10:44:08 PM2/21/10

kolson624 -

First, select the data series. That is, click on one of the data points.
Then, choose Chart > Add Trendline.

(If you have multiple data series on the same chart, this feature allows you
to add a separate trendline to each data series.)

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

<kols...@officeformac.com> wrote in message

m b

Nov 21, 2010, 1:14:14 PM11/21/10
you need to literally "click" on one of the points in the graph, then all points will appear selected, then click Chart menu / Add Trendline

> On Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:32 PM kolson62 wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>

> I plotted an xy scatter plot in excel and had no trouble. But I want to add a trendline and it will not let me. When I click on the &quot;chart&quot; menu, I can see where it says &quot;add trendline&quot;, but it is not an available choice for this graph. Why?

>> On Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:44 PM Mike Middleton wrote:

>> kolson624 -
>>
>> First, select the data series. That is, click on one of the data points.
>> Then, choose Chart > Add Trendline.
>>
>> (If you have multiple data series on the same chart, this feature allows you
>> to add a separate trendline to each data series.)
>>
>> - Mike
>> http://www.MikeMiddleton.com
>>

>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
>> I plotted an xy scatter plot in excel and had no trouble. But I want to add

>> a trendline and it will not let me. When I click on the "chart" menu, I can see
>> where it says "add trendline", but it is not an available choice for this
>> graph. Why?

>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe
>> Excel Tips: Net Present Value (NPV) and Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e426181a-90f1-4bdb-a58a-ef76c7e7cc85/excel-tips-net-present-value-npv-and-internal-rate-of-return-irr.aspx

stephenh...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2013, 10:52:41 AM9/6/13
I think there is a problem that may occur with Excel 2008 for Mac OS X. I can't add a trendline either - and i know how to add a damn trendline. :-) This looks software glitch related.

ndi...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2014, 11:18:49 AM7/2/14
Thank you so much for posting this!!! You said I need to "literally click on one of the points in the graph". I have excel 2008, and I have been looking online everywhere. This is the best post. Four years later and you still helped me thank you :)

lsh...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2015, 11:39:03 AM1/2/15
So, there may be a glitch. I know how to click on the data point, I know how to force the trendline on one series. However, for some reason, today the "Add Trendline" option is grayed out. Grrr. Frustrating!

samia...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2016, 4:52:35 PM3/29/16
I'm using Excel for Mac 2001 on Leopard (I guess - I never remember the cats and national parks; I just look up the version) 10.9.5. I've used Excel trendlines a LOT for a LONG time on my PC at work. I use a Mac at home. The exponential trendline often just doesn't appear. Nothing is grayed out, and I know there is something there, just not a line. The latest chart I made, I was able to get an exponential trendline on some of the data sets, but not one of them. All of the values are above zero, and the data set should have a nice fit to a straight line on semilog scales - an exponential curve, in other words. Can anyone help?