Applescript error -192, and "end of file reached"

Dan Rosenbloom

Oct 7, 2002, 3:53:41 PM10/7/02
Hi-
I'm trying to write a simple script to switch to Quicktime Player and
present a full-frame movie whenever new mail arrives.

I can get a script to work either stand alone or running from the script
editor, but it won't run out of Entourage. Depending on whether I include a
"try - end try" or not I either get an error of -192, or "the end of file
was reached"

the scripts:

#1:
-----------------
on run
try
tell application "QuickTime Player"
activate
open file "Path:to:file:newmail.mov"
set looping of movie "newmail.mov" to true
present movie "newmail.mov" scale screen
end tell
end try
end run
----------------------
This returns error -192

Or,
#2:
------------------------

on run
tell application "QuickTime Player"
activate
open file "Path:to:file:newmail.mov"
set looping of movie "newmail.mov" to true
present movie "newmail.mov" scale screen
end tell
end run
-----------------------
This returns "end of file reached"

Any help from anyone greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Barry Wainwright

Oct 7, 2002, 4:30:28 PM10/7/02
On 07/10/2002 20:53, in article B9C75E85.64D%d...@mightyindustry.com, "Dan
Rosenbloom" <d...@mightyindustry.com> wrote:

> Hi-
> I'm trying to write a simple script to switch to Quicktime Player and
> present a full-frame movie whenever new mail arrives.
>
> I can get a script to work either stand alone or running from the script
> editor, but it won't run out of Entourage. Depending on whether I include a
> "try - end try" or not I either get an error of -192, or "the end of file
> was reached"
>
> the scripts:

Let me guess...

You're running Entourage vX in OS X 10.2, right?
(I had to guess because you didn't tell us!)

When you save your script in Script Editor, select "compiled script" from
the 'format' pop-up menu that appears in the save dialog. Note, this is all
in lower case, it's different to "Compiled Script" with upper case initials.

Apple changed the format of scripts in the latest release to put them all in
the data fork. Entourage doesn't know how to handle these new scripts. The
lower case version has the script in the resource fork as previously.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)

Dan Rosenbloom

Oct 7, 2002, 4:39:57 PM10/7/02
Thanks for the help, but I still get "end of file was reached" when I run
out of Entourage (and yes, sorry, entourage X, OS 10.2)...

Thanks again!

On 10/7/02 4:30 PM, in article B9C7AD74.1623E%ba...@barryw.net, "Barry