Entourage IMAP Error: -17997 <<< Emails missing from 'SENT MESSAGES' Folder

Dave Claunch

Jan 22, 2007, 9:43:52 PM1/22/07
For the past week, I have been getting a strange error in Entourage: Error
-17997. According to the few posts I have seen, this is an internal
Entourage error called "kAthenaBadDataErr".

I have IMAP running on my OS X 10.4 Mail Server and I access it from
multiple Macs, each running the latest version/updates of Entourage. The
error occurs when I attempt to view messages in my Sent Messages IMAP folder
which contains over 20,000 emails. When Entourage attempts to synch to the
Sent Messages IMAP folder, the progress bar shows it starting to download X
of 20,000 messages and then at around 1700 messages, it stops and reports
the error -17997. The Sent Messages folder then shows only approx 1700
emails in it.

I can view all 20,000+ messages in the Sent Messages folder without a
problem when using SquirrelMail (the built-in OS X web mail service) via
Safari.

On the client side, I have done typical and advanced rebuilds of the
entourage databases on both of my Macs and the error still occurs. I have
deleted the IMAP account in question from Entourage's list of accounts and
created a new account and the error still occurs.

Next I configured the Apple Mail.app client to synch to this IMAP account
and it works just fine. It sees all 20,000+ messages in the Sent Messages
folder and can display them as well.

Since I can see the messages in SquirrelMail and Mail.app can see them, I am
fairly certain that the emails are actually OK on the mail server and that
the Cyrus mail database itself on the OS X server is OK.

Today I purged about 10,000 old emails from the mail server using Mail.app,
including 100 messages on each side of the 1700th message point thinking
that perhaps one of the messages in that range was somehow corrupt in the
cyrus database on the OS X mail server, but it didn't help.

I'm reluctant to rebuild the Cyrus databases on the server because it's time
consuming and takes the server offline, but that零 my next step.

Anyone have a suggestion? TIA!

Dave Claunch
Austin, Texas