Error 5553

Alex H.

Jun 19, 2004, 7:43:31 PM6/19/04
Error: "Mail could not be sent using the account "blah.blah"

Explanation: "sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
(#5.7.1)

Error: 5553

I got that error message when attempting to send mail through a new website.
It looks like that site's DNS propagation is progressing well, since I could
type in the domain name and it worked in my browser I decided to send a test
message. That's when I got that message above. It looks like it might
actually check the account in question for incoming mail, but it refuses to
send anything.

Does anyone out there know what this means? Why would I be able to see the
site, but not send mail through it? Is it something I can wait out for a few
days and see if it clears up, or does that error mean something particular
for Entourage?

Using Entourage v.X.

Thanks.

- Alex

Alex H.

Jun 20, 2004, 1:50:38 AM6/20/04
Never mind, I got it sorted out.

The error meant that the server I was trying to send through
(mail.domain.com) was being blocked by my ISP.

Not an Entourage specific message at all.

Thanks anyway.

- Alex

P.S. The fix was to set up the account to use the ISP's SMTP server instead
of my website's. Clumsy, but I very quickly learned there was no way my ISP
would bother to take the time to figure out why just this one SMTP server
was blocked, and not the other two I've checked over their network for a few
years.

On 6/19/04 4:43 PM, in article BCFA1DB3.1BFBE%alexn...@nospam.com, "Alex

Barry Wainwright

Jun 20, 2004, 10:59:50 AM6/20/04
On 20/6/04 12:43 am, in article BCFA1DB3.1BFBE%alexn...@nospam.com, "Alex
H." <alexn...@nospam.com> wrote:

That error message is coming back from the remote server/client. It look
slike someone is operating a 'whitelist' of known safe domains and your
domain isn't on the list. Not a lot you can do about that.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)