Error -17099; Sending mail feature not working

Gra...@officeformac.com

Apr 6, 2008, 9:35:51 PM4/6/08
Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Email Client: pop

Hello. I get the following message when using the send/receive function of Entourage. All mail features were working fine earlier today. I've reviewed the other threads related to this but can't determine if the problem is on my computer/software or with comcast and the problem will fix itself.

Error -17099
Error 5.5.0 <vcxczvb> domain name required
Explanation:
Mail could not be sent
Account name: "____"

Jo...@officeformac.com

May 8, 2008, 9:25:09 PM5/8/08
> Hello. I get the following message when using the send/receive function of Entourage. All mail features were working fine earlier today. I've reviewed the other threads related to this but can't determine if the problem is on my computer/software or with comcast and the problem will fix itself.
>
> Error -17099
> Error 5.5.0 <vcxczvb> domain name required

> Explanation:
> Mail could not be sent
> Account name: "____"
I am experiencing exactly the same problem when I try to send a message. Incoming is fine, although test messages have ended up in my spam folder. The outgoing problem is isolated to imap (AOL) mail. Tried database utility and found no problems. POP mail OK. Any suggestions appreciated
Mac OS 10.5.2
Entourage 12.0.1

Diane Ross

May 8, 2008, 10:01:46 PM5/8/08
"Jo...@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I am experiencing exactly the same problem when I try to send a message.

See:
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/page.html#error-17099>

> Error 5.5.0 <vcxczvb> domain name required

This sounds like a bad email address. Check the group. It could be a space
in the name, or it's just missing the info. If the address entry in the
group has the little blue-dressed man, then the entry is tied to the Address
Book. If it has a yellow "@" sign, then it is not. This might help track
down the bad address.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/address_book.html#ab4>

> Incoming is fine, although test messages have ended up in my spam folder. The
> outgoing problem is isolated to imap (AOL) mail.

Many spammers use your address as a trick to send you email. Set up this
rule so the mail you send yourself gets through.

I like the first example. I haven't met a spammer yet that uses Entourage
for a sending client.

Junk Mail where "From is Me"

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/rules/example/rule012.html>

>Tried database utility and
> found no problems. POP mail OK. Any suggestions appreciated

Rebuilding your database hardly ever helps with Send & Receive problems.

--
Diane

Ed Kimball

May 8, 2008, 11:08:33 PM5/8/08
On 5/8/08 10:01 PM ET, "Diane Ross" <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:

The error "domain name required" sounds like the address is missing the "@"
or has a space preceding the "@". Those are certainly conditions I'd look
for.
--
Ed Kimball

sujeet

May 9, 2008, 4:58:33 AM5/9/08
getting error while sending mails:

5.7.1 unable to relay for sujeet_s...@yahoo.com

explanation :

mail could not be sent
account "40374"

Error : - 17099

Ed Kimball

May 9, 2008, 8:27:17 AM5/9/08

It's a good idea to start a new thread for a new problem. Although you got
the same error code as the previous user of this thread, you got a different
error message.

I would, however, check carefully all the addresses in the outgoing message,
to make sure that none were entered incorrectly.
--
Ed Kimball

Mark Horowitz

May 25, 2008, 3:20:54 PM5/25/08
I am getting the -17099 message ONLY when I try to send an Entourage 'group' on Comcast. If I take all the same addresses and enter them one by one they go through fine.

Diane Ross

May 25, 2008, 7:26:55 PM5/25/08
"Mark Horowitz" wrote:

Are you using your Comcast SMTP address when sending?

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/number.html#error-17099>

In your other message:

> There is some problem in using groups with Entourage and Comcast. They won't
> support of course. My groups are less than 30 and they say I should be able to
> send to about 100. The addresses are perfect (no spaces, etc) because if I
> enter them one by one into the To: field they all go out as a bunch - just not
> when I enter the group name. I get the -17099 and a 5.5.0, but this is true
> with all the groups I try to send on Comcast.

Try this. Select Group. Sorting the group. Sorting will remove any blank
entries.

A Syntax error indicates that one of the email addresses may be malformed -
maybe a space in the wrong place, or a comma instead of a period.

> Also, I have to hit "send and receive" every time I want to receive - the
> messages don't come through automatically.

Do you have your schedules set?

--
Diane