Cannot receive or send mail - Entourage cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is connected to the network. Error 3263

Da...@officeformac.com

Sep 24, 2009, 9:14:21 AM9/24/09
Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

Hi

This is a problem that is REALLY bugging me. I used to use Entourage about a year ago and it worked fine for one reason or another I decided to change to another mail handler. About a month ago I decided I wanted to go back to Entourage and for the past month I have been trying to configure Entourage for use again and it won't work...

I want to use it for two POP accounts one Gmail and the other for my own business address through Blacknight.com.

I input all the necessary details check and re-check them and check again and all I keep getting is:

Entourage cannot connect to the server. Verify that your computer is connected to the network.

Could not retrieve mail.

Account name: "x"

Error: -3263

Could someone please help before I lose the plot!

Thanks in advance

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Sep 24, 2009, 10:32:56 AM9/24/09
Hi David,

> Error: -3263

I found this:
-3263 kEHOSTDOWNErr

Meaning that the host was down at the time.
Now Google had issues lately so it could have been a temporary error
with that account.

If you still see the error message, then you might want to check if
another server exists and try to use it instead (or check that there is
no error in the name of the server you entered).

FIY, gMail is also available through IMAP.
You can find instructions for properly setting it up in Entourage on a
number of sites, eg:
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/11/connect_entourage_2004_to_gmails
_imap_service.html>

Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

kiwi...@officeformac.com

Oct 15, 2009, 3:58:19 AM10/15/09
I have Snow Leopard installed and everything was fine, including Entourage. I shut down the computer for a month because we were away and when I restarted it and Entourage started up, it came up with a message "Unable to establish a secure connection to pop.xxxx.co.nz because the correct root certificate is not installed. If you continue in the information you view and send will be encrypted but will not be secure"

I have no knowledge of this stuff and have never had to do anything like this before.

Apple's Mail operates as usual. it is only if I use Entourage that the problem appears.

I have tried to make sense of the help but it is beyond me. Why has it worked for many years with no problems, and why was it working for a month or more after I installed Snow Leopard, and before I shut the computer down for that month. I have never had to ask my ISP for any certificates, so why now.

I see others have had the same problem but I couldn't see that anyone came up with the fix. If they have can you point me to it.

Thanks

Diane Ross

Oct 15, 2009, 6:21:23 PM10/15/09
On 10/15/09 12:58 AM, in article 59b7d...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"kiwi...@officeformac.com" <kiwi...@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have Snow Leopard installed and everything was fine, including Entourage. I
> shut down the computer for a month because we were away and when I restarted
> it and Entourage started up, it came up with a message "Unable to establish a
> secure connection to pop.xxxx.co.nz because the correct root certificate is
> not installed. If you continue in the information you view and send will be
> encrypted but will not be secure"

Can you check not to show the message again? Unless this is an Exchange
account, this shouldn't be a problem. Probably some minor bug in Snow
Leopard.

--
Diane

Bill

Oct 21, 2009, 11:51:01 AM10/21/09
I forgot to mention in my previous post we're still using Leopard with all
the latest updates. No changes were made to the Mac's this weekend.

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> .

Bill

Oct 21, 2009, 11:49:02 AM10/21/09
Hi Diane,

Just noticed your response to this problem...I was hesitant to reply but
this weekend we started seeing the same problem at the business I support.
The only thing that changed was our Exchange server - we use SBS 2k3 and I
applied last Tuesday's Microsoft Updates to the server this past Saturday.
Prior to that Entourage 2008 worked fine. The bizarre part is that remote
systems (those that don't connect through VPN or are at the office) do not
exhibit this behaviour. I thought it might be a DNS issue for the FQDN, but
I was able to ping them correctly.

I thought this might be relevant to this post, however if I need to post
this elsewhere please let me know.

Thank you.

Bill

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> .

Diane Ross

Oct 21, 2009, 1:52:38 PM10/21/09
On 10/21/09 8:49 AM, in article
6C153A05-9413-4F6D...@microsoft.com, "Bill"

<Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I thought this might be relevant to this post, however if I need to post
> this elsewhere please let me know.

This group might be able to help:

microsoft.public.exchange.admin

If you use a newsreader rather than the Mactopia interface to this newsgroup
you can download old messages and search for answers. If you are not
familiar with a newsreader, Entourage's basic newsreader already has the
Microsoft News server included. All you do is subscribe to the newsgroups
you want. See this article for help subscribing using the Entourage
newsreader:

<http://tinyurl.com/beds97>

--
Diane