Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The password was not allowed.

Smurfman

Apr 30, 2007, 10:50:01 AM4/30/07
Situation: After logging onto a secure website, there is a third party
application that runs on the remote website, that allows for the downloading
of software patches and such. The software allows the user to select several
patches and then perform a single download of a file. In the browser the
user is supposed to be prompted as to where to save this file, for example
123148nlk344939.EXE

The file is not comping from the same server in which a user has logged
onto. Rather as seen in the ISA 2006 log, that the website is passing a
logon and password to another server for FTP, ie
ftp://username:*********99.999.999/SOMECLIENTNUMBER/SOMEFOLDER/FUNNYNUMBEREDEXEFILE.EXE

PROBLEM:
In IE 6 with all the latest patches, this process works exactly as expected.
Files are downloaded and everything is perfect.

After upgrading to IE 7, the same process results in this error:

Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The password was not allowed. The password
might have been changed or typed incorrectly. Try typing the password again.
If the problem continues, contact the administrator for the remote server
and reprot the problem. (12014)
IP Address: <Remote Server Third Party IP>
Date: <current date attempted>
Server: <my internal ISA 2006 Server>
Source: Proxy

In searching I am seeing some notes for ISA 2004 that mention putting the
username password in the url...but I am not the one creating the script to go
an get this file, I also am using ISA 2006, and in the isa log, it looks like
that format is being attempted.

Again, this only happens for IE 7 upgrades, NOT for IE 6, it still works
just fine.

If I were to contact the third party of the site I am accessing per the
error message, what exactly am I to tell them?

Or is there another workaround.

The ISA log shows failed connection attempt from IE 7 machine, where as the
IE 6 machine it works fine. This is true of 2 IE 7 upgrades and several IE 6
machines. I can re-create the problem each time.

Thanks

Phillip Windell

Apr 30, 2007, 3:24:35 PM4/30/07
You'll probably have to ask in an IE group. If it is a known issue then they
should know what you are dealing with pretty quick. It probably has nothing to
do with ISA.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft, or
anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

"Smurfman" <smur...@news.postalias> wrote in message

Smurfman

Apr 30, 2007, 3:32:09 PM4/30/07
I started here since the error source in the IE message says Proxy

Will paste it there just in case, even if it is a double post, I don't want
to be waiting another day for a response.

THanks

tom

May 1, 2007, 3:49:27 AM5/1/07
Dear customer,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

According to your post, I understand that when accessing certain web sites
from client computer, you receive Error 502 Proxy Error message. If I am
off-base on that, please let me know. I suggest you refer to the following
steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please open the IE, click Tools->Internet Options, go to the Advanced
tab, there are two options: the “Enable folder view for FTP sites”
option, and the “Use Passive FTP” option.

2. Please check the “Enable folder view for FTP sites” option.

3. If the FTP site is using Active mode, please uncheck the “Use Passive
FTP” option.
If the FTP site is using Passive mode, please check the “Use Passive
FTP” option.

4. Then test the issue again.

In addition, Open the ISA management console, navigate to Firewall Policy,
on the right pane, click ToolBox->Protocols, locate the HTTP protocol,
double click it and go to the Parameters tab, under "Application Filters",
please un-tick the Web Proxy Filter option.

Hope the above info helps. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Zhang, MCSE 2003
Microsoft Online Support

Smurfman

May 1, 2007, 9:18:02 AM5/1/07
Thanks for the post Tom.

We have already tried the two FTP settings, but with no success in any of
the combinations.

Please keep in mind that this issue is unique to IE 7, and NOT IE 6 clients.

Also, please explain what the ISA Firewall change for HTTP "Web Proxy
Filter" option does, that is:
1) What does unchecking this box do?

2) How does this setting affect the FTP?

3) By unchecking this option what am I sacrificing or what else is changing?

Thanks

Phillip Windell

May 1, 2007, 10:07:57 AM5/1/07

> Also, please explain what the ISA Firewall change for HTTP "Web Proxy
> Filter" option does, that is:
> 1) What does unchecking this box do?

ISA will lose the ability to open and examine the HTTP packets.

> 2) How does this setting affect the FTP?

It doesn't. FTP has its own separate Application Filter.

Smurfman

May 1, 2007, 10:19:01 AM5/1/07
Okay....thanks.
But, I guess the questions are;

1) Is this to just test and see if things work without this setting?

2) Why do I want to do this if my issue is the ftp refusal or connection
failure when accessed via a third party https site?

3) How will this impact eveything else by disabling this setting?

Thanks

Phillip Windell

May 1, 2007, 12:54:24 PM5/1/07

> Okay....thanks.
> But, I guess the questions are;
>
> 1) Is this to just test and see if things work without this setting?

It is kinda like letting the air out of your car's tires to test to see if it
really doesn't handle as well that way at high speed :-)

> 2) Why do I want to do this if my issue is the ftp refusal or connection
> failure when accessed via a third party https site?

Well, that is an apples and oranges thing. FTP is FTP, there is no relationship
to HTTP or HTTPS. They are two entitrely differnet services and three different
protocols. You can't connect to HTTP or HTTPS with FTP. It doesn't matter if
the site is HTTP or HTTPS, it still has to "serve" FTP completely separately and
independently.

> 3) How will this impact eveything else by disabling this setting?

I don't know for sure. Try it and see what happens,...then turn it back on,...I
don't think it will break anything permanently.

PA Bear

May 1, 2007, 2:38:19 PM5/1/07
What's "our newsgroup", Tom?

Found it:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.isa/browse_frm/thread/e1d7f9ed053bb7c0/0e8308310dd51d02

X-post to ISA newsgroup.

Two possibly pertinent KBs:

Internal clients cannot use Internet Explorer to access FTP sites through
Microsoft Proxy Server or Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000
[and 2004]:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814473

How to configure Internet Explorer to use both the FTP PORT mode and the FTP
PASV mode in the Windows Server 2003 Family:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323446
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

tom wrote:
> Dear customer,
>
> Thank you for posting here!
>
> However, I notice you have posted the same question in our newsgroup,
> which
> I have already responded. So please check my answer there and if you need
> any further assistance on this particular issue, please reply to me in
> that
> thread so I can follow up with you in time. Also, please don't cross-post
> the same question in multiple newsgroups in the future so that our
> engineers can work on your question efficiently. Your understanding and
> cooperation is appreciated.

> Have a nice day!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Zhang, MCSE 2003
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<snip>
<paste>

Smurfman

May 3, 2007, 11:19:01 AM5/3/07
Okay, I went into ISA 2006 selected the common protocol per your instructions
for HTTP and disabled the Web Proxy Filter settings.

I re-tested from IE 7, and ended up with the same result.

This is the log entry that was generated:

Fields:
Original Client IP Client Agent Authenticated Client Service Server
Name Referring Server Destination Host Name Transport MIME Type Object
Source Source Proxy Destination Proxy Bidirectional Client Host Name Filter
Information Network Interface Raw IP Header Raw Payload GMT Log Time Source
Port Processing Time Bytes Sent Bytes Received Result Code HTTP Status
Code Cache Information Error Information Log Record Type Authentication
Server Log Time Destination IP Destination Port Protocol Action Rule Client
IP Client Username Source Network Destination Network HTTP Method URL

Result:
0.0.0.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; .NET CLR
2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30) Yes Proxy MYISA_SERVER 6.170.53.5/D TCP Internet - - - Req
ID: 11f7b98f; Compression: client=No, server=No, compress rate=0% decompress
rate=0% - - - 5/3/2007 3:11:06 PM 0 250 4622 3972 12014 The password was not

allowed. The password might have been changed or typed incorrectly. Try
typing the password again. If the problem continues, contact the

administrator for the remote server and report the problem. 0x5 0xc0 Web
Proxy Filter 5/3/2007 11:11:06 AM 999.999.999.999 21 ftp Failed Connection
Attempt (All Access) 192.xxx.xxx.xxx MYDOMAIN\User
Name Internal External GET ftp://remoteserver\username:PW***********99.999.999.999/DOWNLOAD/78/00411_101007/78004110503101007.EXE

Where 999.999.999.999 is external FTP site
Where 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is my internal Client

Thanks

Smurfman

May 7, 2007, 1:28:00 PM5/7/07
Any ideas Phillip?

Phillip Windell

tom

May 9, 2007, 4:05:27 AM5/9/07
Dear customer,

I apologize for the delay in response. Thanks for your patient.

Since this issue only occurs on IE7 clients, I suspect the problem has
something to do with the IE7 settings other than the ISA.

Please try the following test to find out if the problem is related to
Kerberos authentication:

Open the Internet Options in IE, click the Advanced tab, scroll down to the
top, un-tick the "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" option and
restart the client computer.

If the option is ticked, the IE will first attempt to use the Kerberos
authentication.

I do appreciate your time.

tom

May 11, 2007, 4:03:31 AM5/11/07
Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard
back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the
service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tom Zhang