NetMeeting, windows XP Pro and DSL/Router

1 view

Rick Nash

Jul 12, 2002, 11:18:38 AM7/12/02
I am using Netmeeting 3.1, Windows XP Pro and connecting to the internet
through a DSL Modem through a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router.

I can connect to other NetMeeting particpants (I see the connection and
name) but cannot view the video portion of these conerences. I've tested
with several people but still no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to diagnose and solve my problem

Thanks,
Rick

Brian Sullivan -MVP

Jul 12, 2002, 11:44:51 AM7/12/02
Rick Nash <rich...@comporium.net> inquired:

> I am using Netmeeting 3.1, Windows XP Pro and connecting to the
> internet through a DSL Modem through a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL
> router.

What Linksys model do you have and what version of firmware? Is your dsl
modem a NAT ( is the WAN IP of the router from the private set -
192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16/31.x.x ?)

> I can connect to other NetMeeting particpants (I see the connection
> and name) but cannot view the video portion of these conerences.
> I've tested with several people but still no luck.

Your Linksys router is a NAT ( and so is possibly your dsl modem). NAT
devices cause these symptoms. Some Linksys routers/firmware versions have
built in H.323 proxy functions that allow two way audio/video calls for
client computers. Use of the dmz feature would allow this for one station if
this is not the case for your router.

Regardless though if your dsl modem is a NAT no changes at the router will
help -- there is nothing you can do other then contacting your dsl supplier
to change the modem operation.

--
Brian Sullivan - MVP
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)

Rick Nash

Jul 13, 2002, 10:20:46 AM7/13/02
Brian

Just wanted to let you know that I went to Linksys and downloaded and
installed the latest fireware update for my router and then installed
Trachercam software and everything is working perfectly now

Thanks for your help
Rick

"Brian Sullivan -MVP" <bri...@meetingbywire.com> wrote in message

Name

Jul 13, 2002, 3:01:48 PM7/13/02
I am having the same problem. I downloaded the new firmware and the problem
persists. Are there any necessary configuartions? What is Trachercam
software? I searched google and found no results for Trachercam.
Thanks

"Rick Nash" <rich...@comporium.net> wrote in message

Brian Sullivan -MVP

Jul 13, 2002, 3:35:10 PM7/13/02
Name <number5...@hotmail.com> inquired:

> I am having the same problem. I downloaded the new firmware and the
> problem persists. Are there any necessary configuartions? What is
> Trachercam software? I searched google and found no results for
> Trachercam. Thanks

I believe the reference should be to "Trackercam" -- but its use is
unrelated to your problem I am guessing ( it is often used as a workaround
to use DV/Firewire combos or other cameras without VFW drivers).

Are you on a dsl connnection - is your dsl connection NATed? As I indicated
in previous posts if that is the case nothing you do in changing the router
will help.

Burke Azbill

Jul 15, 2002, 10:47:47 AM7/15/02
Brian- in reference to:

" it is often used as a workaround to use DV/Firewire combos or other
cameras without VFW drivers": are you saying there is a way to use this
software to get around the VFW problem?.. I had posted about a problem I
have using the Xtasy Everything video card with Netmeeting (7-10-2002)..

"Brian Sullivan -MVP" <bri...@meetingbywire.com> wrote in message

Brian Sullivan -MVP

Jul 15, 2002, 11:11:58 AM7/15/02
Burke Azbill <bu...@dimensionquest.com> inquired:

> Brian- in reference to:
> " it is often used as a workaround to use DV/Firewire combos or other
> cameras without VFW drivers": are you saying there is a way to use
> this software to get around the VFW problem?.. I had posted about a
> problem I have using the Xtasy Everything video card with Netmeeting
> (7-10-2002)..

Yes the trackercam software ( and softcam) are often used as work arounds
because they contain the needed translation from WDM drivers to VFW.

In neither case does this seem to be a specific goal for the product -- for
both it just is senendipity. The negative I guess is that you have to put up
with/understand other features of both products to achieve the desired goal.