IIS7 Forms Auth with Classic ASP

Ricci Hammond

Jun 4, 2009, 10:13:59 AM6/4/09
I have an ASP.NET site that also contains some classic asp pages. I am using
forms auth and roles with sitemap and menu controls so users only see
sections and pages they have access to. This works perfectly, all content is
protected.

But, when trying to retrieve any posted form details using Request.Form I
get an error: 80004005 unspecified error

If I change the app pool from integrated to classic mode then the pages work
correctly but then the forms auth ignores asp pages.

I have tried debugging the site and it appears that the form data is in
place when the global.asax Application_BeginRequest event fires, but when
it gets to the asp page the request.form information is missing.

Failed Request Tracking does not help, it just confirms an error occurred.

Process Mon logs a buffer overrun in the w3wp process.

Any ideas, I am a bit stuck at the moment.

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Jun 5, 2009, 6:02:58 AM6/5/09

Could you please narrow down if the ASP code works on a blank web site with
IIS7 integrated pipeline mode enabled? We have to first find out if the
different behavior is caused by ASP.net or just the classic ASP code
itself. Also please test if a simple ASP form page also hits the same issue.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

WenJun Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

msd...@microsoft.com.

Ricci Hammond

Jun 10, 2009, 7:19:57 AM6/10/09
Hi, after a load of testing it looks to be how I created the website. I
built it as a Web Application in VS2008 to get around another problem. I
recreated the site as a web site and the asp pages work correctly, however..
My original problem has returned:

On my local pc in cassini and iis the site works correctly, but when it gets
copied to Win2k8 server the authentication stops working.

When you try to login you get instantly redirected to the login page, I can
see in IIS that the destination page returns a 302 forcing the site back to
the login page. I thought it may be down to machine keys but currently the
credentials are unencrypted in the database. If I enter an incorrect
password then I get the "invalid details" message in the login box, but when
I enter correct details there is no message.

It appears that the auth cookie is not being sent but I can't work out why.

Thanks,

Ricci
""WenJun Zhang[msft]"" <wjz...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Jun 11, 2009, 3:28:59 AM6/11/09
Hi Ricci,

I'd suggest you go through the steps in below article to test if it can
work well and verify what's the difference between your current case. You
can change it to use SQL membership provider instead of using the custom
XML membership provider.

How to Take Advantage of the IIS 7.0 Integrated Pipeline
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/244/how-to-take-advantage-of-the-iis7-integra
ted-pipeline/

WenJun Zhang[msft]

Jun 15, 2009, 7:30:32 AM6/15/09
Hi Ricci,

Any progress on this issue?

Ricci Hammond

Jul 17, 2009, 9:50:52 AM7/17/09
Hi, I still have the problem but it appears to be an issue with IE8 and the
cookie.

On my local pc it all works fine, I can log into the site. Trace shows the
auth cookie being sent back to the server on page request.

Copy the site to IIS7 on the webservers and can no longer login.. with IE8
that is. When I login the cookie gets sent from server to IE8, but when IE8
requests the page it does not pass the cookie back so gets dumped back to
the login page.

So I installed google chrome. It works.. firefox also works as well. try IE8
and it fails.

So for some reason IE is not passing the cookie to the server but I can't
find out why.

I will keep looking....

Ricci

""WenJun Zhang[msft]"" <wjz...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ricci Hammond

Jul 20, 2009, 5:48:38 AM7/20/09
Arrrggghhhhhhh........

My test hosts entry for the IIS7 server contains an underscore which causes
IE8 to drop the cookie.

"Ricci Hammond" <del...@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

rami....@gmail.com

May 28, 2015, 1:57:14 PM5/28/15
Hey guys,

This is still an issue on IIS 7.5 windows 7. I am running asp.net mixed with classic asp pages in integrated mode to take advantage of Forms Authentication for my classic ASP pages. Enabling Integrated mode works fine and I'm able to browse both .net pages(.aspx) and classic asp pages. However as soon as I re-add formsauthenitcationmodule in webconfig(need to remove and add to ignore managed only precondition), Request.Form throws above error when used in classic asp. I am running app pool in 32bit mode.

Regards,
Rami