Re: Does IIS support SFTP?

Bernard Cheah [MVP]

Mar 12, 2008, 1:52:50 AM3/12/08
The latest IIS 7 FTP outofband package support FTPS, not SFTP.
Search for more detail at www.iis.net.

--
Regards,
Bernard Cheah

"tl" <t...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does IIS support Secure FTP? If not, are there plans to support it in the
> near-term?
>
> Thanks
> tl

tl

Mar 12, 2008, 8:47:00 AM3/12/08
Sure enough:
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/310/whats-new-for-microsoft-and-ftp/ contains
the welcome words:

"To clarify, Microsoft offers an FTPS solution. SFTP typically involves
using FTP over SSH. Microsoft does not provide any solution for securing FTP
traffic that uses an implementation of SSH. "

Thanks, Bernard!
tl

Alun Jones

Mar 13, 2008, 9:10:26 AM3/13/08

> Sure enough:
> http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/310/whats-new-for-microsoft-and-ftp/
> contains
> the welcome words:
>
> "To clarify, Microsoft offers an FTPS solution. SFTP typically involves
> using FTP over SSH. Microsoft does not provide any solution for securing
> FTP
> traffic that uses an implementation of SSH. "

Technically speaking, that statement is wrong.

SFTP has nothing whatsoever to do with FTP, except that they both move
files.

SFTP is an add-on component to an SSH solution. It adds file transfers to an
existing SSH session.

FTP is all about file transfer, with no capability to run shell code like
SSH. FTPS is adding a secure layer using SSL or TLS to an existing FTP
session.

It may seem like a subtle distinction, but it does make the two completely
independent and incompatible.

If you use "Secure FTP" to mean "FTP that has been secured", then you will
be looking for FTPS. If you mean "I just want to transfer files encrypted",
then you are looking for FTPS, WebDAV, SFTP, SCP, HTTPS, and probably a
couple of dozen other protocols that can encrypt files in transit.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

.._..

Mar 14, 2008, 11:53:28 AM3/14/08
I too have been struggling with this issue. WHY WHY WHY no FTPS in IIS 6?
The security issues were well known well before that....

Here's a guide for using SSH to set up SFTP on Windows.
http://www.digitalmediaminute.com/article/1487/setting-up-a-sftp-server-on-windows

The problem is, that bumps the user-sophistication level up to "nightmare
tech support problems" level and a lot of software packages don't connect
natively (i.e. DreamWeaver, Expressions Web) so you end up having to
manipulate files, save them locally, then use some other method to transfer
to the server.

"Alun Jones" <al...@texis.invalid> wrote in message

LuchoEsp.

May 4, 2010, 11:36:05 PM5/4/10
Thanks for the help !!!

Dave

Jul 22, 2010, 12:21:55 PM7/22/10
Agreed, the article is nice for users at home looking to freely setup a
simple SFTP server but using something like that for an even moderately sized
organization is a pain.

There are several excellent SFTP server out there for Windows. We routinely
use Cerberus FTP Server for FTP, SFTP and FTPS. It's a pleasure to install
and maintain and the support is outstanding.

It would be nice is IIS supported SFTP some day but I'm not holding my
breath.

hansu...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2012, 8:16:50 PM9/19/12
> It would be nice is IIS supported SFTP some day but I'm not holding my
> breath.

If you need to support the SFTP protocol with your existing IIS infrastructure, you could use <a href="http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/completeftp/">CompleteFTP</a> Enterprise Edition, which has a pretty neat <a href="http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/completeftp/doc/guide/html/gateway.html">'gateway' feature</a> that allows you to provide an SFTP front-end for your existing FTP/FTPS server.

You can also use it as a standalone SFTP (and FTP/FTPS) server. You only need the much cheaper Standard Edition for that.

- Hans Andersen