WAS Won't Start (ERROR 6801)

Jeevan Bordoloi

Nov 20, 2013, 1:44:04 AM11/20/13

I have a Dell Latitude E6430 loaded with 64 bit Windows 7 Professional (Build 7601, Service Pack 1). Processor is Intel Core i7(35...@2.90GHz).

I am an ASP.NET developer, and use IIS 7.5.7600.16385.

Yesterday morning, after switching on the laptop and checking my emails, I opened my Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012 (Version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3 with Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.5.50709), did some work on my website project, built it and then tried to open the website using Internet Explorer 9. Immediately got the “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” error. So, I opened inetmgr to check what’s going on, and found that my application pool is not running.

So I tried to start it but got this error: “Application pools cannot be started unless the Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) is running.

I opened services.msc, and found that WAS has been stopped. I clicked “start” and got this error: “Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service service on local computer. Error 6801: Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error”.

Little bit of googling suggested that this is due to some bad transactions, and the below command followed by a reboot should help:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

Unfortunately it didn’t work.

Then tried removing .blf and .tm files manually from some specified folders with the commands below:

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%\
cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\TxR
attrib -r -s -h *
del *
cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
attrib -r -s -h *
del *.tm*
del *.blf
del *.regtrans-ms

This didn’t work either.

Unable to perform system restore and re-installation of IIS/WAS.

The event viewer is flooded with these error messages (event id 137, source: Ntfs): "The default transaction resource manager on volume OS encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code."

Running out of ideas. DO NOT WANT TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS. Please help.

--Jeevan

Bob Barrows

Nov 20, 2013, 6:16:37 AM11/20/13
You probably will not find an answer here. This is a classic ASP group - no
.Net experts here.
You need to ask your question on one of the Windows groups in the msdn or
technet forums.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/14019

Actually, I was looking for the forums and inadvertantly came across this KB
article. I didn't read it so you may also have run across it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975443

Jeevan Bordoloi

Nov 20, 2013, 6:51:16 AM11/20/13
Thanks, Bob

Jeevan Bordoloi

Nov 21, 2013, 3:46:35 AM11/21/13
Scheduled CHKDSK /F C: on next reboot. SOLVED.

Jeevan