Error in equation 'Illegal syntax' when printing

Angela M

Sep 3, 2008, 9:40:00 AM9/3/08
I've got a user with a new laptop. GP is installed & has been working fine.
Today he tried to print a job cost report (to printer and to screen) and gets
a pop up window with 'Error in equation '*** ILLEGAL SYNTAX *** [] [Not
Found] '.

He has the dept. standard printer set up on his PC. I tried printing the
job cost report from my PC and it prints fine, so it's not the job.

I tried printing a different job from his PC, same problem.

I tried using a different printer from his PC, same problem. So it's
clearly something with a GP install file. I'm going to go hunt for this
needle in the haystack now... but if anyone has any insight, that would be
great. Thanks!

--
Angela Meek
Business Analyst

Victoria [MVP]

Sep 3, 2008, 1:01:09 PM9/3/08
Angela,

This sounds like an issue with the report itself. Are you printing the same
version of it when it prints fine? Maybe the user is pointing to a modified
report and you're not? Also, are you choosing the same exact options the
user is?

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Angela M" <Ang...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Angela M

Sep 3, 2008, 3:33:01 PM9/3/08
Hi Victoria,

Yes, we've kept it pretty simple. For example, he and I have the same
printer set up on our PCs. I can go to job status and just click the "print"
button at the top of the job status bar. It prompts to print to screen or
printer. Either option works fine for me (and several other users actually),
but on his PC he gets the error whether he tries to print to screen or print
to printer.

There is also the printer icon button to the right on that screen that gives
more options, but any option selected there returns the same result.

He really was perfectly fine doing this last week, but then he got a new PC
a few days ago and has just encountered the problem. He's not a new user.
He's been in the system for years, so I would not think it would be a user
profile issue.

I did find someone else post on another message board that they had this
issue after the upgraded to V10; however, we are on 9. But that makes me
believe it is some sort of install problem. Something we must have missed.
I just wasn't sure if this was common enough for folks to have seen it
before. I can always recommend a reinstall.

--
Angela Meek
Business Analyst

Victoria [MVP]

Sep 3, 2008, 4:26:58 PM9/3/08
Angela,

I don't think it's the printer itself. Error in equation 'Illegal syntax'
typically implies there is a problem within the code of the report. Is it
just this report or any report on that computer? If he can print other
reports, then it's a problem with this one particular report.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP
Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports

"Angela M" <Ang...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Angela M

Sep 4, 2008, 1:15:03 PM9/4/08
Well, you were right about the printer. It was happening with all of his
reports, so that made me think perhaps his reports weren't up to date. I
overwrite his dictionary, ini , and .set files with those from a working PC
and that corrected the problem. Thanks for your tips, Victoria!