Server Error: Cannot Open File "frontpg.lck" for reading

Marvin Miller

Dec 3, 2001, 4:30:50 PM12/3/01
Hi Folks!

I've been getting this error recently when trying to publish to my Cable providers web server;

Server Error: Cannot Open File "frontpg.lck" for reading

I'm running FP 2000 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server Machine. My cable operator is using the extensions. I do not know what O/S or extension version they are using. When I would publish the site previously, all would work well - so I do know that the providers extensions used to work!

Major Complaint

This exact issue seems to have been around since 1998 or so. Doing a search on DejaNews comes up with 357 hits on the keyword frontpg.lck

Does Anyone actually know the answer to this problem? Or is this another one that Microsoft denies exists ;-) I want to be able to e-mail my provider with the answer - they are new to using Front Page Extensions and hosting sites.

Best & Thanks in Advance;
Marvin Miller

Thomas A. Rowe

Dec 3, 2001, 4:44:07 PM12/3/01
Marvin,

Basically the frontpg.lck file is stuck in a open mode. This can be cause by a break in your connection to the server during publishing, or hitting the STOP button, which causes the file to not be closed correctly.

The only solution that I am aware of, is to delete the file and then run a check on extensions.

--

=============================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Marvin Miller

Dec 3, 2001, 5:02:24 PM12/3/01
OK, where is that file (frontpg.lck) located? I went through my whole web with FTP and can't find it anywhere. Where does it normally reside?

Tx;
Marvin

Tom Pepper Willett

Dec 3, 2001, 5:29:55 PM12/3/01
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q297322
--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett

"Marvin Miller" <marvin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Marvin Miller

Dec 3, 2001, 5:34:05 PM12/3/01
This would be a useful answer if I had control of the server. But I don't -
so I can't

Best;
Marvin Miller

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tomp...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Marvin Miller

Dec 3, 2001, 5:37:18 PM12/3/01
In addition, that KB link describes this error;

Cannot Open Service.lck for Writing or Reading

and not

Server Error: Cannot Open File "frontpg.lck" for reading

Thanks;

marvin miller

Thomas A. Rowe

Dec 3, 2001, 5:33:12 PM12/3/01
You have to contact your host to correct this.

--

=============================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Marvin Miller" <marvin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MVP]

Dec 4, 2001, 2:16:20 PM12/4/01
Same thing just slightly refrased.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Marvin Miller

Dec 4, 2001, 9:29:01 PM12/4/01
Thanks Everyone!

Best;