server error cannot open file "...\service.lck" for writing

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jul 6, 2004, 10:29:19 AM7/6/04
I have recently had to ditch my old Compaq Neoserve and
replaced it with a LeCie Ethernet server. I transfered
all the old front page files to a ne directory

Now I can't save any new pages in front page I get an
error message

- server error cannot open file "...\service.lck" for
writing -

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Ray Yee

Jim Buyens

Jul 6, 2004, 3:51:00 PM7/6/04
How did you transfer the old FrontPage files?

Could it have been via CD? If so, then all the files you
transferred will be marked Read-Only, and that would
explain why you can't open them for writing.

To fix that, in Internet Explorer, right-click the
starting folder and choose Properties. Then, clear the
Read-Only check box, click Apply, and choose to apply this
change to the entire folder tree.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

>.

Ray Yee

Jul 7, 2004, 7:11:51 AM7/7/04
I originally transfered the files over the network before
ditching the server. I also imported the web site from
the web which I can do everything except save!

I have unchecked the read only folder and file tree so
they can be written, it still doesn't work I have looked
at the the files and they are still read only. Now
quizzing LaCie.

I have tried looking at the properties of the service.lck
file it hangs the computer and crashes the ethernet disk
(I have to reboot the disk)

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Ray Yee

>.

Tom Pepper Willett

Jul 7, 2004, 7:58:27 AM7/7/04