405 - HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed.

Templar

Jan 6, 2010, 9:16:03 PM1/6/10
The message that comes up when I hit submit.
405 - HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks.

--
Templar

Ronx

Jan 7, 2010, 2:38:00 AM1/7/10
What is the form method - post or get, or something else?

post and get are the usually allowed verbs, others may throw the error.
If you are using post or get, then the server needs to be checked, or you
have a very unusual form - a link to it might help.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

"Templar" <Tem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Templar

Jan 7, 2010, 10:09:03 AM1/7/10
Thanks Ronx. You will find the form at
www.TheJoeCockerFoundation.org
Click on Registration.
Then Click on the submit button and the error message appears.
--
Templar

"Ronx" wrote:

> .

Veign

Jan 7, 2010, 10:38:49 AM1/7/10
You've set no action in your form. By leaving it blank it will submit to
itself. An HTML page can't process an HTTP posted form (your using a POST
method). Basically you're asking the form to post to a page that can't
process it in any way.

--
Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
Resource Center: http://www.veign.com/development-center.php

"Templar" <Tem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Templar

Jan 7, 2010, 11:34:01 AM1/7/10
Apparently there is a huge gap in my learning experience. Can you refer me
to a tutorial that will help me get a grip on this concept/problem/solution?
Thanks.

I just read that IIS7 does not support an Access Database and it looks like
things are about to get more complicate as I may have to resort to Microsoft
SQL Server for my database needs.

--
Templar

"Veign" wrote:

> .

Veign

Jan 7, 2010, 11:58:44 AM1/7/10
W3schools.com and Google are the best resources.

You could also go with PHP/MySQL - this is my development platform of
choice. You can read up on ASP.NET and PHP over at w3schools.com.

--
Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
Resource Center: http://www.veign.com/development-center.php
Veign's Blog: http://www.veign.com/blog
--
Web Development Help: http://www.veign.com/development-center-web.php
--

"Templar" <Tem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

KathyW

Jan 7, 2010, 12:03:02 PM1/7/10
Access databases can run on IIS7. Whether your host offers that option is a
different question. You may not *want* to, however, if you expect any volume
in the usage of that database on your site.

Templar

Jan 7, 2010, 1:00:27 PM1/7/10
Thanks Kathy and Veign. I was focusing on ASP and PHP at first, but recently
I have heard numerous wonderful things said of ColdFusion as an "easier to
learn, understand and work with" product especially where someone like me - a
newbie and up-until-now "part-timer" is concerned. Your comments, of course,
are always welcome. Thanks.
--
Templar

"Veign" wrote:

> .

KathyW

Jan 7, 2010, 1:38:01 PM1/7/10
For less than the price of ColdFusion (basic: $1,299), you can hire someone
to do your simple form to database page. And be cautious of hearing "easy"
if you are already finding tutorials on creating forms difficult. "Easy"
depends on who you are talking to. For me, asp.net forms and databases are
"easy", while to you, they are not (at least not yet).

Veign

Jan 7, 2010, 2:18:45 PM1/7/10
I would avoid Coldfusion. Stick with either ASP.NET or PHP - you'll find
much more resources, code samples, complete 3rd part components and
applications (all free) and help if you ever need to hire someone.

--
Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
Resource Center: http://www.veign.com/development-center.php
Veign's Blog: http://www.veign.com/blog
--
Web Development Help: http://www.veign.com/development-center-web.php
--

"Templar" <Tem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

KathyW

Jan 7, 2010, 2:29:01 PM1/7/10
And adding a bit more: Adobe has a ColdFusion forum at
http://forums.adobe.com/community/coldfusion
Take a look at it and see if the conversations are at a technical level you
are comfortable with.

Veign

Jan 7, 2010, 2:53:54 PM1/7/10
The problem I always had with ColdFusion. for clients (what I hear), is the
struggle to find anyone to perform updates to their websites. The ones
still on ColdFusion totally regret it and look forward to the day they can
hire me to update to PHP.

Seems like ColdFusion is a lonely dark road.

--
Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
Resource Center: http://www.veign.com/development-center.php
Veign's Blog: http://www.veign.com/blog
--
Web Development Help: http://www.veign.com/development-center-web.php
--

"KathyW" <Kat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ronx

Jan 7, 2010, 2:53:31 PM1/7/10
The page has three forms on it:

1 form opened at line 15, but never closed. This opening tag is in the
middle of a style block and should never be there. This *could* be the
source of one of the problems on the page.

1 form for the PayPal button (lines 225 to 232 in View Source)

1 form for the main form (lines 261 to 369). As Veign and Kathy have
pointed out, this form has no chance of working.

Other problems in the page (which will probably not affect the forms)
include:

style blocks in the middle of a <div> (line 190) Style blocks should be in
the <head> section of a page

Content after the </body> tag (line 380)

There are probably other errors, but I have only looked quickly in the
vicinity of <form and </form> tags.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

KathyW

Jan 7, 2010, 5:27:02 PM1/7/10
I'm pretty sure it's also a road that's above the OP's current technical
level, too, which is why I suggested looking at the ColdFusion forum. The
pitch from Adobe is how easy it is for developers, which I can't comment on,
never having used it. But easy for a developer is a far cry from being easy
for someone new to creating a form.

"Veign" wrote:

> .

Veign

Jan 7, 2010, 5:47:29 PM1/7/10
All good points.

--
Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
Resource Center: http://www.veign.com/development-center.php
Veign's Blog: http://www.veign.com/blog
--
Web Development Help: http://www.veign.com/development-center-web.php
--

"KathyW" <Kat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Templar

Jan 10, 2010, 10:54:01 AM1/10/10
Thank you Ronx, Veign, Kathy and Chris. I just returned from out-of-town and
have block copied your responses for careful reading. Sounds like ColdFusion
leaves you cold like the weather hear in Chicago.
--
Templar

"Ronx" wrote:

> .

Templar

Mar 11, 2010, 11:29:01 AM3/11/10
Kathy:

Do you have a website or email address at which you can be reached?
I can be reached at contr...@sbcglobal.net. Thanks.
--
Templar

marie marie