Cannot Export Digital ID

Darren Thorley

Apr 9, 2003, 3:26:48 PM4/9/03
I am trying to get my head around encrypting emails and I have
installed Certificate Services and issued a certificate.

I have installed the certficate using the CA web interface and can
send emails between users internally. The problem comes when I want a
user to be able to access their Inbox remotely and view an encrypted
email that they can view in the office.

I have tried exporting the digital ID from the office computer to
import it at home but Outlook will not let me. All I get is an error
message that says "The Digital ID cannot be exported". There is no
other error message nor any other clues as to what is going wrong.

I have tried installing a certificate on the home PC via the CA web
interface and although it seems to install fine, I still can't access
the encrypted email. I did not really expect this to work as I knew it
would be a different certificate as the request came from a different
computer.

Do I have to install Key Managment Services to be able to do this?

Could someone please give me a clue as to what I have done wrong or
where I should look to find out for myself. I thought I had followed
the MS instructions for installing certificate services, but maybe I
have got it wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Darren

Darren Thorley

Apr 10, 2003, 2:23:50 PM4/10/03
Doh - solved it myself. I hadn't used the advanced form to allow
exporting of the private key.