DNS forward lookup zone "local"

RickyVene

May 15, 2006, 4:05:02 PM5/15/06

We have setup our internal DNS network with company01.local but our domain
in the internet is company.com. Do I need to create another 'Forward Lookup
Zones' with 'company.com' besides 'company01.local'?

On the company01.local zone. I created smtp host, mail server host and mx
record.

On the company.com zone. Do I need to create a 'New Host' for the exchange
server with IP address of our public IP? Do I need to create an MX record
too?

Do I need to create a 'Reverse Lookup Zones' too for the forward zone of
company.com?

Or I don't need to do all these but just ask my ISP provider for the proper
forward and reverse zone?

Thanks,
Ricky

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

May 15, 2006, 4:13:16 PM5/15/06

Answers inline.

Leif

"RickyVene" <Rick...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> We have setup our internal DNS network with company01.local but our domain
> in the internet is company.com. Do I need to create another 'Forward
> Lookup
> Zones' with 'company.com' besides 'company01.local'?

No need for that if you have company.com hosted externally

> On the company01.local zone. I created smtp host, mail server host and mx
> record.

Not necessary

> On the company.com zone. Do I need to create a 'New Host' for the
> exchange
> server with IP address of our public IP? Do I need to create an MX record
> too?

Not necessary if the company.com is hosted externally

> Do I need to create a 'Reverse Lookup Zones' too for the forward zone of
> company.com?

No

> Or I don't need to do all these but just ask my ISP provider for the
> proper
> forward and reverse zone?

Ask the ISP to host your external names

> Thanks,
> Ricky

Mark Arnold [MVP]

May 15, 2006, 4:21:49 PM5/15/06

No problem with the .local and .com mix
If the cert says .com you can pply it to the OWA default web site in
the normal way.
So long as the FQDN the ISP point you at says the same as the actual
FQDN you hit you'll be warning/popup-free.
Do NOTHING internally.
Make sure the EXTERNAL DNS has one A record pointing to the same
address as the Certificate name.
Really, do not overcomplicate your brain on this one, no need at all.

RickyVene

May 15, 2006, 4:41:02 PM5/15/06
My domain registor is from zoneedit.com and my ISP is from Bell Canada
(separate company), when I did a reverse lookup on zoneedit.com it gives me a
cname, ptr x2, ns x2 and A x2. Here's the list for As:

ns6.bellnexxia.net A 209.226.175.XXX
ns4.bellglobal.com A 198.235.216.XXX

Should I use that (209.226.175.XXX, 198.235.216.XXX) as my DNS forward?
I'm using internal IP and I'm using DNS forward to resolved internet and SMTP.

Thanks,
Ricky

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

May 15, 2006, 5:41:27 PM5/15/06

You should use the DNS servers from your ISP as forwarders (if that is part
of your agreement with them).