NDRs being generated - Status Code 5.6.1 - Event ID 3030

Bucket

Sep 4, 2008, 9:09:03 PM9/4/08
Greetings all,

I have an issue with NDRs being generated for some clients. The NDR is
generated for a user that emails get sent to an AD Contact. Specifically, the
email address will be us...@domain.com, but that email is forwarded to an AD
contact email address of us...@us.domain.com or us...@uk.domain.com.

The AD contact allows us to have one global email address of @domain.com but
forward emails to the specific US or UK regions. The US division has hosted
Exchange through 1and1 (if I am correct) and our UK region uses SBS
(Exchange).

Our server is Exchange 2003 SP2 in Front End / Back End Configuration and
these errors are generated at the Front End Exchange.

I have confirmed we have a Reverse Lookup entry that is correct and the
company that hosts our DNS has added an SPF record yesterday.

Some examples of the errors are below (user and domain changed)

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.6.1 was generated for
recipient rfc822;us...@us.domain.com (Message-ID
<BLU116-W2207553B0...@phx.gbl>).

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.6.1 was generated for
recipient rfc822;us...@us.domain.com (Message-ID <48BFF5C2...@vcu.edu>).

<1469229437.34969412205...@md42.embarq.synacor.com>).

<200809032341...@obc-app43-10.rz.xing.com>)

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.6.1 was generated for
recipient rfc822;us...@us.domain.com (Message-ID
<32614285.413761151220...@rbg13.atlis1>).

We are also generating NDRs with Status code 5.6.1 Event ID 3018 - examples
below - some are from the Front End Server and some from Back End Server.

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.4.0 was generated for
recipient rfc822;us...@ed.act.au (Message-ID
<BNEOR3SGW01x2...@FRONTENDSERVER.domain.com>).
Causes: This message indicates a DNS problem or an IP address configuration
problem
Solution: Check the DNS using nslookup or dnsq. Verify the IP address is in
IPv4 literal format.

<BNEOR3SGW01x2...@BACKENDSERVER.domain.com>).
Causes: This message indicates a DNS problem or an IP address configuration
problem
Solution: Check the DNS using nslookup or dnsq. Verify the IP address is in
IPv4 literal format.

Cheers

Terry
www.teamterry.net

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Sep 5, 2008, 2:19:07 AM9/5/08
Two solutions I see to your problem:

1. The DNS server the Exchange server uses needs an MX record for those two
subdomains, with corresponding A records for the hosts.
2. Two SMTP Connectors. Each has one of the domains as its address space,
and the smart host points to the appropriate SMTP server for the domain.

If I'm off the mark, please post the full NDR, not just part of an event log
entry.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
.