cannot uninstall exchange 2003 after migration to exchange 2007

eahunter46

Oct 8, 2009, 9:13:01 AM10/8/09
Problems with trying to uninstall exchange 2003 server as well as exchange
management tools from BES servers:

Error is as follows:
"Setup failed while installing sub-component
Microsoft Windows Active Directory schema update with error code 0xC1037986
(please consult the installation log for a detailed description). You may
cancel the installation or try the failed step again"

There is an earlier post dated 1/14/2009 where it is indicated that I need
to manually remove the Exchange installation for both the server and any
instances of 2003 management tools installed in the domain. Is this still the
case 9 months later?

Please advise

Ed

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Oct 8, 2009, 10:17:30 PM10/8/09
Have you seen this?

http://trycatch.be/blogs/pdtit/archive/2008/04/16/error-0xc1037986-while-removing-an-exchange-2003-server-after-migration-towards-exchange-2007-server.aspx

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

"eahunter46" <ehun...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

eahunter46

Oct 8, 2009, 11:21:01 PM10/8/09
yes i did, though it is a little vague. does it mean that I need to go back
to an SP1 or earlier version CD to use to uninstall?

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Oct 9, 2009, 10:30:34 AM10/9/09
That’s what its saying, do you have the original Exchange CD? If not, you
can just remove Exchange 2003 from AD manually and then blow away the server
if you like. This assumes you have migrated everything to Exchange 2007 at
this point.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA
Exchange MVP 2009
Microsoft Certified Partner

"eahunter46" <ehun...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DaSmee

Nov 2, 2009, 12:06:38 PM11/2/09
On 9 Oct, 14:30, "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcolive...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> That’s what its saying, do you have the original Exchange CD?  If not, you
> can just remove Exchange 2003 from AD manually and then blow away the server
> if you like.  This assumes you have migrated everything to Exchange 2007 at
> this point.
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2009
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "eahunter46" <ehunte...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > yes i did, though it is a little vague. does it mean that I need to go
> > back
> > to an SP1 or earlier version CD to use to uninstall?
>
> > "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
> >> Have you seen this?
>
> >>http://trycatch.be/blogs/pdtit/archive/2008/04/16/error-0xc1037986-wh...

> >> --
> >> John Oliver, Jr
> >> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> >> Exchange MVP 2009
> >> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> >> "eahunter46" <ehunte...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have a similar issue, and now want to just manually remove the last
2003 exchange server without causing the perfectly happy ex2007 server
any problems, all mailboxes and public folders have been moved, but
it's still complaining that something still exists, can you advise or
point me to details of which active directory objects shoudl be
removed and which shouldn't, the old server I assume can be just
shutdown?

Cheers
Nigel

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Nov 3, 2009, 6:12:57 PM11/3/09
So if you shut down the Exchange 2003 Server for a couple of days, Exchange
2007 has no issues along with your users? You followed,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931. I would verify before removing
manually. If verified, you can use ADSI Edit to remove the Exchange server
from AD. Follow this article at the bottom where it states to use ADSI
Edit to remove the server,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396