Exch2k3 refuses to replicate Public Folders

wy_jimr

Feb 24, 2005, 7:47:01 PM2/24/05
I have a Win2k3 AD domain and I migrated my Exch from 5.5 to 2k3 SP1 running
on a Win2k3 server. Everything works fine and I have removed the Exch5.5
server. I now want to add a second Exch2k3 server, move all mailboxes and
Public Folders and then remove the current Exch2k3 server. I have
experimented with moving mailboxes to the new server (also SP1) and they move
just fine. The problem is PF.

In the PF tree on the Replication tab on the properties of each PF, both
Exch2k3 servers are listed, but the folders never show up under Public
Folders on the new Exch2k3 server. If I select a folder in the PF tree and
look at Status tab, all items are on old Exch2k3 server. If I do Synchronize
Content on the old server, I get error c1041724. If I choose Synchonize
Content on new server, I get "The Microsoft Exchange Information Store
service could not find the specified object." ID no. c1041722.

All of my Exch services are running and all stores are mounted. I am
getting no errors in the event log on either Exch2k3 server. The new server
is logging a warning in the application log from source: MSExchangeIS Public
Store, Event ID: 3092, Error 1129 occurred while processing a replication
event. Folder (7-3113B)IPM_SUBTREE\Conference Room C - which is one of 12
public folders. This is the only warning I get and it is the only public
folder logging the warning.

I have tried removing the second server from replication on each of the PF
and have added it back both through ESM and by using pfMigrate, but to no
avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kip Ng [MSFT]

Feb 24, 2005, 8:02:19 PM2/24/05
It looks like a permisson issue. Try assigning the appropriate permission.

OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

"wy_jimr" <wy_...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

wy_jimr

Feb 25, 2005, 11:21:03 AM2/25/05
I have looked at permission and tried to set them appropriately using
Q328229, but I am not certain I have it right. Here is what I have done on
permission:

On the properties of the Public Folder MAPI tree, I selected the security
tab and assigned Authenticated Users: Read, Execute, Read Permissions, List
Contents, Read Properties; Creator Owner: nothing allowed or denied; Domain
Admins, Enterprise Admins, Exchange Domain Servers, Exchange Services and my
domain administrator account all have: Full Control. All of these also have
the Inherit from parent... box checked after I click the Advanced button.

Where I am having a hard time following Q328229 is where they talk about the
Administrators group, Server Operators group and System account. Does this
mean I should have actual groups with these names? I don't see any groups
with these names. My group that includes the various administrators at my
site does have full control and also the two machine accounts for the two
Exch2k3 servers have full control. I don't know what to do about the Server
Operators group at all though. Any advise on theses permissions?

Also, I didn't do anything strange setting up the Exch2k3 servers, shouldn't
they install with the appropiate permissions to allow replication? They were
both Win2k3 server and Exch2k3 server fresh installs with no permissions
changes. Maybe this is relevant or not, but the new Exch2k3 server I am
trying to replicate to is a DC.

wy_jimr

Feb 25, 2005, 1:55:03 PM2/25/05
As an update:

I have numerous messages queued on my existing, working Exch2k3 server
trying to go to my new Exch2k3 server. The subjects are: Foler Contents,
Status Request, Hierarchy, Backfill Request, etc. All are in a state of
Queued or Retry. It does look like a permissions issue, I am just not sure
how to solve it.