OWA not working Externally, but works fine internally...

Scott Townsend

Jul 24, 2007, 9:55:32 AM7/24/07
Exchange 2007 Server
When I access https://server.domain.com/owa from the same subnet as the
server It works fine.

If I access it outside the Firewall I get an IE Authentication Prompt to
display the OWA Login Screen. That I can see just fine. I enter in my User
ID and password again and I get a Error 400, Page not found. Its pointing
to: https://server.domain.com/owa/auth/owaauth.dll

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott<-

Robert Li [MSFT]

Jul 24, 2007, 10:37:16 PM7/24/07
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

From your description, I know that when you visit OWA from internet, you
get error 400, Page not found. If I am off-base, please don't hesitate to
let me know.

Based on my research, I suggest we try the following steps to narrow down
the issue:

1. Check the External URL setting on the OWA VD. To do so:

a. Start Exchange Management Console.
b. Locate to the Server Configuration->Client Access, highlight the CAS
server.
c. Right click the OWA (Default Web Site) VD under the Outlook Web Access,
and then Properties.
d. On the General tab, ensure that the External URL is set to the External
URL that is used to access the Web site from the Internet.

2. Run the following command to test the OWA VD:

test-OwaConnectivity -URL:https://mail.contoso.com/owa
-MailboxCredential:(get-credential contoso\kweku)

3. Run the command to collect the configuraton of the OWA VD:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -Server Server_name |fl >c:\out.txt

Please send the out.txt to me.

If the problem persists, please help me collect the IIS log for further
research:

- Open IIS MMC, right click Default Web Site and then click Properties.
- Click Website tab and then check Enable logging.
- Click the Properties button,and check all the logging options on the
Advanced tab.
- Reproduce this issue.
- Go to the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
- Send me the log file to v-ro...@microsoft.com with subject: 39979964-OWA
not working Externally, but works fine internally.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft Online Support

Scott Townsend

Jul 25, 2007, 12:58:33 PM7/25/07
So I didn't have an External URL defined. I added it and did the
Connectivity Test (Via Command Line), it worked fine.

Tried from an external Machine and get the Same Error.

So I switched from Forms Auth to Integrated and I can get in. It does not
bring up the Login Page anymore of course.

So it looks like the Forms Auth is not getting passed through?

I'd like to get Forms Auth to work. Where should I send you the Output
file? Rather not post it here.

Thanks,
Scott<-

"Robert Li [MSFT]" <v-ro...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Scott Townsend

Jul 25, 2007, 5:41:45 PM7/25/07
So in looking through the Event log on another Security issue I'm having I
noticed in the Event log the Following:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: SmtpReceive
Event ID: 1037
Date: 7/25/2007
Time: 1:46:15 PM
User: N/A
Computer: EXCH2007
Inbound direct trust certificate with thumbprint
3D99F18F104AB7BCDBE7D3B27D4054DBAE117333 has expired. Run
New-ExchangeCertificate to generate a new direct trust certificate.

I ran the "New-ExchangeCertificate" and then put it back to Forms Auth and I
can get in now.

So I would think that Fixed the issue, rather then switching back to Forms
Auth.

So I think I'm good here...

Thanks,
Scott<-

Robert Li [MSFT]

Jul 25, 2007, 10:05:53 PM7/25/07
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I am glad to know OWA started to work after you ran the
"New-ExchangeCertificate" and then put it back to Forms Authentication. You
did good job.

I'd like to give you more information for your reference:

How to configure mail forwarding in Exchange Server 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=927459

How to remove Exchange 2007 from a computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=927464

How to determine whether an Exchange Server 2007 cluster is a "cluster
continuous replication" cluster or a "single copy clusters" cluster
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=927460

The RecipientResolutionTimeoutInSeconds property is available to modify the
time limit of a cross-forest AutoDiscover operation in Exchange 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928812

How to enable mailbox creation on the second or later clustered mailbox
server (CMS) of an Exchange 2007 Single Copy Cluster (SCC)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=928811

Error message when you try to change the offline address list server from
Exchange Server 2007 to Exchange Server 2003: "The target server cannot
support OAB"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=922817

Event ID 64 is logged in the Application log on the Exchange 2007 server,
and you reveive the following error message when you try to access Outlook
Web Access: "Outlook Web Access did not initialize"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=930864

The /createstm switch and the /s switch are displayed even though they do
not work for streaming (.stm) files in Exchange 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931749

The Exchange Management Console must remain open when you schedule a task
to move a mailbox in Exchange 2007 or in Exchange 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931748

Hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: "Scott Townsend" <scoot...@community.nospam>
<Subject: Re: OWA not working Externally, but works fine internally...
<Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:41:45 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity

hariprakassh

Jul 31, 2008, 4:18:01 AM7/31/08
this following error displayed when browse the owa:
Outlook Web Access did not initialize. An event has been logged so that thesystem administrator can resolve the issue. Please contact technical support for your organization.

i check in event log :
event id: 30

ØyvindOlsen

Feb 16, 2010, 5:12:27 PM2/16/10
Hi all. I can not get this right. I also have the same error when trying to access my mailbox over the internet. The strange thing is, when i use Firefox, it works, but nut in IE6, IE7, IE?

Any suggestions?

Scott Townsend wrote:

OWA not working Externally, but works fine internally...

24-Jul-07

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott<-

On Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:55 AM
Scott Townsend wrote:

OWA not working Externally, but works fine internally...

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott<-

On Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:37 PM
v-robel wrote:

Hi Scott,Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.
Hi Scott,

On Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:58 PM
Scott Townsend wrote:

So I didn't have an External URL defined.
So I didn't have an External URL defined. I added it and did the
Connectivity Test (Via Command Line), it worked fine.

Tried from an external Machine and get the Same Error.

So I switched from Forms Auth to Integrated and I can get in. It does not
bring up the Login Page anymore of course.

So it looks like the Forms Auth is not getting passed through?

I'd like to get Forms Auth to work. Where should I send you the Output
file? Rather not post it here.

Thanks,
Scott<-

"Robert Li [MSFT]" <v-ro...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:41 PM
Scott Townsend wrote:

Thanks,
Scott<-

On Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:05 PM
v-robel wrote:

Hi Scott,Thanks for your reply.
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

On Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:18 AM
hari prakassh wrote:

owa didnot work internally

Creating a WPF Custom Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/32d63678-2798-465e-ad29-c0b45fb68b78/creating-a-wpf-custom-con.aspx

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Feb 16, 2010, 5:28:25 PM2/16/10
So if you access OWA internally with IE it works?

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

mrme...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 12:26:24 AM10/11/12
I have almost the same problem. Internally when I type in https://servername/owa it works, but from external, if i type in https://mail.externaldomain/owa, i get prompted if i want to continue because of the certificate, if i click continue, I am not getting the prompt to login but getting web page cannot be found instead. I verified the external domain is defined in owa and public certificate is installed on root and intermediate certification authority. When I talk to network solutions to acquire the certs, they told me I need two certs, one for owa and one for autodiscovery. They walk me through installing them on the server but no luck accessing them externally. I am running windows 2008 r2 and exchange 2010.

On Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:28:25 PM UTC-6, John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] wrote:
> So if you access OWA internally with IE it works?
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2009
> Microsoft Certified Partner

min...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2014, 12:53:23 AM6/20/14
I think you had create a new certificate. You should change certificate in binding setting of your site to the new one.