Search function not working properly in Outlook 2003

Bill

Nov 10, 2009, 1:54:02 PM11/10/09
A couple of users are having this problem in Outlook 2003 (Exchange 2007).
When they do a quick or advanced search for a keyword in the email subject
and body, the search engine doesn't search within the past 7 days. It only
searches for emails older than 7 days.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Anybody have a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Bill

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Nov 11, 2009, 10:52:13 AM11/11/09
It appears that your index stopped generating seven days ago. What do the
event log say?
--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

"Bill" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob2409

Nov 11, 2009, 11:28:58 AM11/11/09

I had a similar problem with the integrated Outlook search. It just
couldn't find what I needed. However, quite a few seem to have the same
problem. While searching the internet for a solution, I came across this
small add-on called Lookeen (www.Lookeen.net).
While I'm still testing it, I can say for now it's much easier to
search thru my archive and there are more attributes you can define.
Maybe that solves your problem, too?
Greets Bob

--
Bob2409
http://forums.slipstick.com

Bill

Nov 12, 2009, 11:43:03 AM11/12/09
Hey Ed,

That was it. The msftefd process stopped.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> It appears that your index stopped generating seven days ago. What do the
> event log say?
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

> ..

> "Bill" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A couple of users are having this problem in Outlook 2003 (Exchange 2007).
> > When they do a quick or advanced search for a keyword in the email subject
> > and body, the search engine doesn't search within the past 7 days. It
> > only
> > searches for emails older than 7 days.
> >
> > I can't figure out why this is happening. Anybody have a solution?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Bill
>

> .

Bill

Nov 13, 2009, 10:26:11 AM11/13/09
I spoke too soon. I've restarted the msftefd process and now the search is
working again. However, there is a gap in the index between 11/4 and last
night. Anyway I can get the index to include the missing dates?

Thank you in advance.

Bill

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Nov 14, 2009, 2:05:14 AM11/14/09
You can completely rebuild the indexes.

--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

"Bill" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bill

Nov 17, 2009, 12:29:09 AM11/17/09
Thanks Ed. Should I follow this article to rebuild the index?

http://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/Exchange-2007-Indexing-Issue---Outlook-Not-Returning-Search-Results.aspx

Bill

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> You can completely rebuild the indexes.
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

> .

Bill

Nov 17, 2009, 12:59:07 AM11/17/09
Should I follow this link to rebuild the index?
http://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/Exchange-2007-Indexing-Issue---Outlook-Not-Returning-Search-Results.aspx

thanks.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> You can completely rebuild the indexes.
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

> .

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Nov 17, 2009, 11:53:16 PM11/17/09
I haven't tried that but it looks good enough to me. If your index is
incomplete or corrupt, there's no real downside to recreating it.

--
Ed Crowley MVP
.