OWA 2003 - Error (0x80070005) Access is denied

cri...@nospam.postalias

Mar 27, 2006, 11:03:14 AM3/27/06
We've had our current Exchange system in place for over a year now. I just
deployed a new Dell computer running Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003 Basic
to a user that was previously running WinNT 4.0 SP6a and Office97. When
this user tries to send an Excel file that was created with Excel97 he gets
the following error and the message is not sent.

Microsoft Internet Explorer
One or more errors occurred while the message was being sent.
Error: (0x80070005): Access is denied.
[OK]

This also happens when the user tries to send more than one attachment. It
doesn't matter what the extensions of attachments are. It can be a PDF or
even not have an extension.

As a workaround I have the user open the Excel file and do a "Save As" and
change the "Save as Type" from "Microsoft Excel 97" to "Microsoft Office
Excel Workbook". That resolves the problem attaching Excel files, but he
still has a problem where he can't send more than one attachment. This
appears to be a problem with just this user's computer and not everyone in
the organization.

Exchange 2003 SP1
Windows 2003 SP1
The S/MIME control is installed on the client.

Jason

Karim Batthish [MS]

Mar 27, 2006, 4:01:46 PM3/27/06
The only way this should happen is if, somehow, the rendering of the OWA
"Compose Mail" form isn't displayed correctly/clipped, or if IE settings
have been changed. Does the issue repro for the user on another machine or
just this one? What about other users?

A screenshot of the message before sending would confirm the
display/clipping issue.

Regards,
- Karim

<cri...@nospam.postalias> wrote in message

cri...@nospam.postalias

Mar 27, 2006, 5:40:40 PM3/27/06
For the problem with a single XLS file that was created in Excel97 it is
happening with many users on different computers. For the problem
sending 2 attachments it is happening to any user that is on a specific
computer that I just deployed. I didn't see any clipping/format
issues.I don't think I can get you a screenshot.

Jason

"Karim Batthish [MS]" <karimb...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

John Chen [MSFT]

Mar 29, 2006, 4:02:14 AM3/29/06
Hello Jonas

Thank you for posting.

It seems that there are three questions in your post:
1. Can not see the members of some groups in Outlook.
2. Unable to modify membership in Outlook.
3. Receive NDR 5.1.4 after sending mail to the groups.

Because all the three issues may be caused by one reason, corrupted
Exchange related attributes, I suggest you recreate a new group (Universal
Distribution Group) and add the users to it. Then perform a test on the new
group again. If it works fine, you can resolve the issue by recreating the
problematic groups.

If the steps are not helpful, please have a look at the following
suggestions on the separate issues:
1. Can not see the members of some groups in Outlook.
According to my experience, we can not see the members of a specific group
in Outlook after hiding group membership. Please verify if the membership
has been hided on these groups. For the detailed steps, please refer to the
following KB article:
How Exchange Hides Group Membership in Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=253827

2. Unable to modify membership in Outlook.
Please check if you have configured Managed By attribute on these groups.
(Open AD Users and Computers->Right click the group->Click
properties->Managed By Tab)
If you are using Exchange 2000, please have a look at the KB article:
Users Listed in the Managed by Box Are Unable to Manage Groups
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281489

3. Receive NDR 5.1.4 after sending mail to the groups.
Generally, NDR 5.1.4 indicates that at least two objects are using the same
email address. But it seems not to be the problem on your server. So the
problem becomes quite complex. We need perform some tests to narrow down
the issue:
(1) Does the problem occur on the specific groups only?
(2) Verify if the problem occurs every time with picking the
group(s) from GAL.
(3) Change a client machine and create a new profile. Then test
again.
(4) Enable Message Tracking on exchange and reproduce the
problem. After that, send the Message Tracking Log to me at
v-jo...@microsoft.com and let me know the names of the group and the
sender. To enable Message Tracking, please following the steps:
a. Start Exchange System Manager.
b. Right click the server on which you intend
to enable tracking.and then click Properties.
c. On the General tab, click to select the
Enable Message Tracking check box, and then click to select the Enable
subject logging and display check box.
d. Ensure that the log file maintenance
information suits the needs for logging. NOTE: By default, log files older
than seven days are deleted.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

John Chen [MSFT]

Mar 29, 2006, 5:09:03 AM3/29/06
Hello Jason,

Thank you for posting.

The issue is quite strange. I didn't see any similar issues before. So we
need to perform some tests to narrow down the problem:
1. Does the issue occur on every client machine?
2. Does the issue occur on the specific user accounts?
3. Is the error message always "(0x80070005): Access is denied" whatever
you send more then one attachment or an Office 97 xls file?
4. Please enable IIS log and send me the log file after reproducing the
problem. My e-mail address is: v-jo...@microsoft.com
a. Open IIS MMC, right click Default Web Site and then click
Properties.
b. Click Website tab and then check Enable logging.
c. Stop the related service and rename the existing IIS log files
under C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
d. Reproduce the problem.
e. Go to the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
f. Send me the log file.

In addition, please disable or uninstall all the applications which work
with IIS, such as URLScan. If it is possible, please send me a copy of the
problematic .xls file for test. Thank you for your assistance.

cri...@nospam.postalias

Mar 30, 2006, 9:50:55 AM3/30/06
The problem appears to be with the "Microsoft Outlook Web Access
S/SMIME". When I uninstalled the S/MIME the problem went away. I'm not
ready to upgrade Exchange to SP2 so I need to find a way to upgrade the
S/MIME without service packing Exchange. Does anyone know if that is
advised or even possible?

We are running Exchange 2003 SP1. The S/MIME version installed on our
workstations is 6.5.7232.34.

Jason

"cri...@nospam.postalias" <cri...@nospam.postalias> wrote in

John Chen [MSFT]

Mar 31, 2006, 6:01:12 AM3/31/06
Hi Jason,

I have sent you a latest version of S/MIME control. Please perform a test
on a test machine and then let me know the result.

Have a good day.

John Chen [MSFT]

Apr 4, 2006, 11:47:56 AM4/4/06
I performed another test on Exchange 2003 SP1. Client machine is Win XP
SP2. But I still can not reproduce the problem.

John Chen [MSFT]

Apr 4, 2006, 12:20:42 PM4/4/06
Hi Jason,

I have performed another test here. The Exchange server is Exchange 2003
sp1. The client machine is Windows XP sp2. But I am still unable to
reproduce the problem. Now I suggest you perform these operations:

1. Install Exchange 2003 SP2.
I can understand you may not ready to install sp2. But sp2 may be helpful
to the issue. Also sp2 will improve the security of Exchange 2003 and you
will obtain some new features after installing it. For the details, please
refer to the following article:
Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sp2/overview.mspx

2. Reset IE.
1) Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools -> Internet Options
2) In the General tab, please click the Settings button
3) Please click the View Files button and then, delete all files in this
fold and close it.
4) Please click the View Objects button and then, delete all files in this
fold and close it.
5) Click OK
6) Please select Security tab in the Internet Options dialog box. Click
the Default button and click Apply.
7) Please select Programs tab in the Internet Options dialog box. Click
the Reset Web Settings button and click Yes.
8) Please select Advanced tab in the Internet Options dialog box. Click
the Restore Defaults button and click the Apply button.
9) Please uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires
restart)" check box under the Browsing item in the Advanced tab.
10) Restart your computer as required.

3. If any firewall softwares are installed on the Exchange server or the
client machine, please temporarily disable them and test again.

4. Reproduce the problem on at least two machines and collect a complete
IIS log.

5. Collect MPS reports on Exchange server and a problematic client.
1) Access the following URL:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f
-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&displaylang=en>
2) Download MPSRPT_Exchange.EXE and execute the exe file on the Exchange
server. (Download and run MPSRPT_Alliance_X86.EXE on the client machine.)
3) Please send the resulting file (CAB file) to me at
v-jo...@microsoft.com.