Outlook 98 Help needed for OOA

Vincent DiPilato

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
This is driving me crazy. I have 15 users with OOA. I was never able to get
OOA to do anything so I spent a whole day trying everything I can think of.
I finally got it to work for me (On my PC running Win95 connected to an NT
Exchange server running NT4 with Exchange 5.0)

The only way it seems to work is if I set the OOA to out of office and then
also set up a rule in the rules wizard to handle out of office messages.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I thought that you just set the OOA, in
this case to forward my email to another person when I am on vacation and
that was it. It seems that if you set it and shut down your computer it will
not work. You have to force it to update the server before shutting down it
seems.

From everything I read her it should be a simple matter to set OOA to
forward all incoming messages to another person. Instead I have to use OOA
in conjunction with the rules wizard.

Would somebody tell me in detail how this should work. I would appreciate an
email back as my news server only keeps a limited amount of news and only
for one day.

Please email me at (remove the NOSPAM) vdip...@serraintl.NOSPAM.com

Sue Mosher [MVP]

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
OOA does two things:

1. Send a message once to anyone who e-mails you. This message is the one
composed in the box on the OOA.
2. Execute any optional rules that you set in the OOA.

Note that any forwarding rule that goes to a recipient outside your Exchange
organization will work only if the Exchange Server's Internet Mail Service
allows automatic replies to the Internet.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"

Vincent DiPilato <vdip...@serraintl.com> wrote in message

Vincent DiPilato

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
This does not work as you say. I have had IMC set to allow auto replies to
internet since day one since I was aware of it. The only way I can get OOA
to work is to set it up, turn it on, and THEN set up a Rule in the rules
wizard for handling of OOA messages. I have also set OOA to simply move my
email to a folder and this does not work either.

Vincent DiPilato

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Remember that I am using Win95 (old version) as a client. I have finally
figured out the problem after 6 hours. OOA works if I turn off my exception
list in the rules wizard. Our domain name is on our exception list to
prevent internal emails from going into my Junk Message folder. Apparently
aside from stopping the emails from being filtered by the junk and adult
content rules it also stops it from reaching the OOA rules. Thought that
this was an interesting finding and wonder if there is a fix for it.

Sue Mosher [MVP]

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
Interesting! You've already found one fix. Another might be to use the junk
mail approach outlined in my Rules Wizard FAQ at
http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/rwizfaq.htm. It does not depend on the
OL98 exception list.