Outbound Mail Issue

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 5:57:38 PM8/6/07
Some e-mail messages are not going outbound. I have not even touched
the server ina few months. The errors I am receiving are:

An SMTP protocol error occurred.
The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
The connection was dropped by the remote host.
The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

I tred restarting the server, but still no luck. I checked on
DNSStuff.com and there is a reverse DNS entry. Some of the failing
domains are:

cingularme.com
cox.net
jobcorps.org

There is no antivirus software/firewall running on the server. Our
hardware firewall has not changed in a long time.

When I run the SMTPDiag tool, I get the following error:

Error: Expected 220 server is not accepting connections

I ran the following command:

smtpdiag myinternaladdress anexternaladdress

This problem just started happening on Saturday.

Any suggestions?

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 6, 2007, 6:05:34 PM8/6/07
from the server, can you telnet port 25 these remote server domain ?

Is your public IP blacklisted ?
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/EOM/eom/public/blacklists.aspx

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU

<rzal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:17:09 PM8/6/07
On Aug 6, 3:05 pm, "Mathieu CHATEAU" <gollum...@free.fr> wrote:
> from the server, can you telnet port 25 these remote server domain ?
>
> Is your public IP blacklisted ?http://www.mxtoolbox.com/EOM/eom/public/blacklists.aspx
>
> --
> Cordialement,
> Mathieu CHATEAUhttp://lordoftheping.blogspot.com
>
> <rzale...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Some e-mail messages are not going outbound. I have not even touched
> > the server ina few months. The errors I am receiving are:
>
> > An SMTP protocol error occurred.
> > The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
> > The connection was dropped by the remote host.
> > The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.
>
> > I tred restarting the server, but still no luck. I checked on
> > DNSStuff.com and there is a reverse DNS entry. Some of the failing
> > domains are:
>
> > cingularme.com
> > cox.net
> > jobcorps.org
>
> > There is no antivirus software/firewall running on the server. Our
> > hardware firewall has not changed in a long time.
>
> > When I run the SMTPDiag tool, I get the following error:
>
> > Error: Expected 220 server is not accepting connections
>
> > I ran the following command:
>
> > smtpdiag myinternaladdress anexternaladdress
>
> > This problem just started happening on Saturday.
>
> > Any suggestions?

My IP is not on any blacklist.

I couldn't telnet to cingularme.com on port 25. Shouldn't I telnet to
something like mail.cingularme.com?

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 6, 2007, 6:22:44 PM8/6/07
nslookup -q=mx cingularme.com
Non-authoritative answer:
cingularme.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = atlsmtp.cingularme.net

atlsmtp.cingularme.net internet address = 66.102.165.114

telnet atlsmtp.cingularme.net 25

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

<rzal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:26:47 PM8/6/07
On Aug 6, 3:22 pm, "Mathieu CHATEAU" <gollum...@free.fr> wrote:
> nslookup -q=mx cingularme.com
> Non-authoritative answer:
> cingularme.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = atlsmtp.cingularme.net
>
> atlsmtp.cingularme.net internet address = 66.102.165.114
>
> telnet atlsmtp.cingularme.net 25
>
> --
> Cordialement,

When I try to telnet to that address, I get the following:

421 Service not available

Connection to host lost.

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:32:37 PM8/6/07

Ok. I was also having problems with cox.net and it was showing I was
blacklisted (when I tried to telnet). The problem is, I used your
serivice and dnsstuff to see if my ip was blacklisted to no avail. My
domain name is toppan-optical.com.

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:46:40 PM8/6/07

My mail server's IP is 63.193.62.132 (mail.toppan-optical.com). For
some reason, one of our other external IP is being blacklisted
(63.193.62.130). Would this have any effect?

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 7, 2007, 1:36:40 AM8/7/07
is it the ip seen when your mail server try to connect outside ?
what is the reason for blacklisting ?

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

<rzal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2007, 10:39:33 AM8/7/07
On Aug 6, 10:36 pm, "Mathieu CHATEAU" <gollum...@free.fr> wrote:
> is it the ip seen when your mail server try to connect outside ?
> what is the reason for blacklisting ?
>
> --
> Cordialement,

Yes, it is the IP when the mail server connects outside. I understand
that this is why mail is being blocked.

I do not know the reason for blacklisting. I plan on monitoring the
firewall to see all outbound traffic on port 25 to make sure nobody
internally is sending SPAM.

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 7, 2007, 4:21:22 PM8/7/07
your ip doesn't seem to be blacklisted:
Checking 63.193.62.132 against 126 known blacklists...
Listed: 0 time(s)
Timeouts:5

where did you see your ip blocked ?

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

<rzal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

rzal...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2007, 7:41:33 PM8/7/07
On Aug 7, 1:21 pm, "Mathieu CHATEAU" <gollum...@free.fr> wrote:
> your ip doesn't seem to be blacklisted:
> Checking 63.193.62.132 against 126 known blacklists...
> Listed: 0 time(s)
> Timeouts:5
>
> where did you see your ip blocked ?
>
> --
> Cordialement,

63.193.62.130

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 8, 2007, 2:10:36 AM8/8/07
Is it a mail server ?
I can't connect to it on port 25.

Spamcop won't tell you why, but you will be delisted 24h after people stop
complaining.

you may analyze your smtp log to understand what's going on

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

<rzal...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mathieu CHATEAU

Aug 17, 2007, 2:17:29 AM8/17/07
You will have to get out of the lists.
Do you have SPF (sender ID) ?
Does your public IP got a reverse dns that match your server name which is
also in the MX of your domain (sorry , not yet fully awake...)

--

"rwright142" <rwrig...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys, hope you don't mind me jumping here.
> I'm having the same "the connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol
> event sink" error when sending to 1 person (Non-AOL domain) only. All
> other
> emails are ok.
>
> smtpdiag looks ok:
> TCP/UDP tests suceeded
> SOA SN match: passed
> Local DNS test passed.
> Telnet series was ok:
> connected, ehlo, mail from, rcpt to, etc.
> Exchange 2003 on SBS with all the patches except SP2.
>
> I went to MXToolbox and found we are on a few blacklists but they are all
> the same "FiveTen..." the rest of them that responded are OK.
> I will see if MXToolbox can do anything about that, but does anyone else
> have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

rwright142

Aug 21, 2007, 11:56:03 AM8/21/07
Problem solved.
Evidently the IT admin at the other end somehow blocked any connection from
a DSL. I don't know how the rule was defined, but we are on a T1. Our
provider is called dsl.net so perhaps that is why we were being blocked.
Once they changed the rule we can send and receive now.