Email rejection Problem. SMTP Diagnostic Log Included.

Tom

Oct 20, 2008, 1:24:14 PM10/20/08
Hello,
We are running a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003. Recently we have
been getting some email returned from a few recipients. 99% of the mail are
fine. We have a email filtering hardware installed as well. I haven't found
our Domain listed in any Blacklist sites. I ran a SMTP Diagnostic Log and it
is listed below. The recipients technical support show no problems on their
end.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

C:\SmtpDiag>smtpdiag ad...@mydomain.com ad...@hisdomain.com

Searching for Exchange external DNS settings.
Computer name is SERVER.
VSI 1 has the following external DNS servers:
There are no external DNS servers configured.

Checking SOA for hisdomain.com.
Checking external DNS servers.
Checking internal DNS servers.
SOA serial number match: Passed.

Checking local domain records.
Checking MX records using TCP: mydomain.com.
Checking MX records using UDP: mydomain.com.
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Local DNS test passed.

Checking remote domain records.
Checking MX records using TCP: hisdomain.com.
Checking MX records using UDP: hisdomain.com.
Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Remote DNS test passed.

Checking MX servers listed for ad...@hisdomain.com.
Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.

Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.

Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.

Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
Failed to submit mail to ad...@hisdomain.com.

Michael Dragone

Oct 20, 2008, 1:41:38 PM10/20/08
Do you smarthost your outgoing mail through the filtering appliance?

Can you post the exact NDR that you receive?

"Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tom

Oct 20, 2008, 2:02:02 PM10/20/08
No, we just have in incoming mail filter (Barracuda Spam Filter).
Here is the message that we receive:

Oct 20, 2008, 2:37:25 PM10/20/08
Can you e-mail anyone else at that domain
I would use nslookup to snag their mail server hostnames and then use telnet
to port 25 to simulate an SMTP session with them.

"Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tom

Oct 20, 2008, 3:07:17 PM10/20/08
We cannot email anyone at that domain. What will that tell me? I haven't
used telnet in years.

Michael Dragone

Oct 20, 2008, 3:17:22 PM10/20/08
It will tell you where in the SMTP conversation you're being rejected.

"Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tom

Oct 20, 2008, 5:59:01 PM10/20/08
Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot.
Tom

Peter Durkee

Oct 20, 2008, 7:27:09 PM10/20/08
For what it's worth you're probably going to end up calling someone at the
other domain and either having them remove your ip from their deny
connection list or add it to their accept connection list. -Peter

"Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rich Matheisen [MVP]

Oct 20, 2008, 7:42:09 PM10/20/08
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:24:14 -0700, Tom
<T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>We are running a Windows 2003 Server with Exchange 2003. Recently we have
>been getting some email returned from a few recipients. 99% of the mail are
>fine. We have a email filtering hardware installed as well. I haven't found
>our Domain listed in any Blacklist sites. I ran a SMTP Diagnostic Log and it
>is listed below. The recipients technical support show no problems on their
>end.

Of course not -- investigating this would require them to actually
LOOK at a SMTP log file.

Do they, or do they not, see the connection from your server, and do
they, or do they not, see the the 5xx (or 4xx) status code?

On the flip side, what do YOU see in /your/ SMTP protocol log when
this happens?

[ snip ]

>Checking MX servers listed for ad...@hisdomain.com.
>Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
>Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
>Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.
>
>Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
>Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
>Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.
>
>Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
>Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
>Failed to submit mail to mailserver.hisdomain.com.
>
>Connecting to mailserver.hisdomain.com [X.X.X.X] on port 25.
>Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the sender address.
>Failed to submit mail to ad...@hisdomain.com.

---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP