Can't open other user's folder: "...address book entry is not a mail user."

lunchroom

Feb 26, 2009, 4:36:08 PM2/26/09
Running SBS2003. We've got a user setup for general communications
(in...@ourcompany.com). It's setup as a domain user. We can login with
the account's credentials and launch Outlook to get the email.
However, we'd like for one of our secretaries to be able to read the
email from her Outlook (read both her email and the
in...@ourcompany.com email). I've found plenty of resources on how to
go about granting permissions and reading both accounts from within
Outlook, however I think the problem is in the info domain account
itself. I'm not sure how it was initially setup, but in SBS2003, it
shows up in the list of Users under Server Management. It's icon looks
just like all of the other domain users icons (a single head).
However, if I go into Active Directory Users and Computers, it's not
listed under SBSUsers. This is where it's interesting - under the
Users folder (not SBSUsers), it shows up the same with a single head,
but none of the other domain accounts, such as the secretary, show up
there.

When I try to Open Other User's folder from the secretary's machine, I
get the message "Cannot display the folder. The server mailbox cannot
be opened because this address book entry is not a mail user."

As you can tell, I know little/nothing about Exchange administration.
How can I get this info account setup so its mail can be read by
another domain user through Outlook?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Durkee

Feb 26, 2009, 4:56:25 PM2/26/09
It sounds like that user account doesn't have a mailbox. Right-click it and
select Exchange tasks. If one of the choices is Create Mailbox, go ahead and
do that. If Delete Mailbox is one of the choices then it already exists and
your problem lies elsewhere.

-Peter

"lunchroom" <lunc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

lunchroom

Feb 26, 2009, 5:07:54 PM2/26/09
On Feb 26, 3:56 pm, "Peter Durkee" <pdur...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> It sounds like that user account doesn't have a mailbox. Right-click it and
> select Exchange tasks. If one of the choices is Create Mailbox, go ahead and
> do that. If Delete Mailbox is one of the choices then it already exists and
> your problem lies elsewhere.
>
> -Peter
>
> "lunchroom" <lunchr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Running SBS2003. We've got a user setup for general communications
> > (i...@ourcompany.com). It's setup as a domain user. We can login with

> > the account's credentials and launch Outlook to get the email.
> > However, we'd like for one of our secretaries to be able to read the
> > email from her Outlook (read both her email and the
> > i...@ourcompany.com email). I've found plenty of resources on how to

> > go about granting permissions and reading both accounts from within
> > Outlook, however I think the problem is in the info domain account
> > itself.  I'm not sure how it was initially setup, but in SBS2003, it
> > shows up in the list of Users under Server Management. It's icon looks
> > just like all of the other domain users icons (a single head).
> > However, if I go into Active Directory Users and Computers, it's not
> > listed under SBSUsers.  This is where it's interesting - under the
> > Users folder (not SBSUsers), it shows up the same with a single head,
> > but none of the other domain accounts, such as the secretary, show up
> > there.
>
> > When I try to Open Other User's folder from the secretary's machine, I
> > get the message "Cannot display the folder.  The server mailbox cannot
> > be opened because this address book entry is not a mail user."
>
> > As you can tell, I know little/nothing about Exchange administration.
> > How can I get this info account setup so its mail can be read by
> > another domain user through Outlook?
>
> > Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. Unfortunately, Delete Mailbox is an
option, along with Move Mailbox, Configure Exchange Features and
Remove Exchange Attributes. Any other ideas?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Feb 26, 2009, 7:39:35 PM2/26/09

How was this user created? Open ADUC and look under Users. If it wasn't
created with the wizard it won't be in the correct (for SBS) OU. Move it
there. SBS must always be administered using the wizards. Ignore them at
your own peril.

You'd grant the secretary rights to the mailbox in its ADUC properties,
Exchange Advanced tab, mailbox rights button.

lunchroom

Feb 27, 2009, 8:58:14 AM2/27/09
On Feb 26, 6:39 pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwe...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks, Lanwench. Unfortunately, I don't know how the account was
originally created. I wasn't around at the time. In looking under
ADUC, there are two folders of interest: (1) MyBusiness\Users
\SBSUSers and (2) Users. The account I'm interested in appears under
Users, but not under MyBusiness\Users\SBSUsers. Interestingly, all
other domain accounts that use email are under MyBusiness\Users
\SBSUsers. If I try to drag the in...@ourcompany.com into MyBusiness
\Users\SBSUsers, I get the following warning: Moving objects in
Active Directory can prevent your existing system from working the way
it was designed. For example, moving an OU can affect the way that
group policies are applied to the acconts within the OU. Are you sure
you want to move this object? This scares me - I don't want to break
what we have right now. Please advise. Thanks.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Feb 27, 2009, 7:58:28 PM2/27/09
lunchroom <lunc...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped for length>

> Thanks, Lanwench. Unfortunately, I don't know how the account was
> originally created. I wasn't around at the time. In looking under
> ADUC, there are two folders of interest: (1) MyBusiness\Users
> \SBSUSers and (2) Users. The account I'm interested in appears under
> Users, but not under MyBusiness\Users\SBSUsers.

There's your answer - it was created manually. No biggie. You csan move it.

> Interestingly, all
> other domain accounts that use email are under MyBusiness\Users
> \SBSUsers. If I try to drag the in...@ourcompany.com into MyBusiness
> \Users\SBSUsers, I get the following warning: Moving objects in
> Active Directory can prevent your existing system from working the way
> it was designed. For example, moving an OU can affect the way that
> group policies are applied to the acconts within the OU. Are you sure
> you want to move this object? This scares me - I don't want to break
> what we have right now. Please advise. Thanks.

Don't fear that message. You do want to do this.

I suggest you post future SBS questions in m.p.windows.server.sbs - even if
you also crosspost (not multipost!) in the regular product groups. SBS does
many things its own way.

lunchroom

Mar 3, 2009, 10:16:35 AM3/3/09
On Feb 27, 6:58 pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwe...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

> lunchroom<lunchr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snipped for length>
>

> > Thanks, Lanwench.  Unfortunately, I don't know how the account was
> > originally created. I wasn't around at the time.  In looking under
> > ADUC, there are two folders of interest:  (1) MyBusiness\Users
> > \SBSUSers and (2) Users.  The account I'm interested in appears under
> > Users, but not under MyBusiness\Users\SBSUsers.
>
> There's your answer - it was created manually. No biggie. You csan move it.
>
> >  Interestingly, all
> > other domain accounts that use email are under MyBusiness\Users
> > \SBSUsers.  If I try to drag the i...@ourcompany.com into MyBusiness

> > \Users\SBSUsers, I get the following warning:  Moving objects in
> > Active Directory can prevent your existing system from working the way
> > it was designed.  For example, moving an OU can affect the way that
> > group policies are applied to the acconts within the OU. Are you sure
> > you want to move this object?  This scares me - I don't want to break
> > what we have right now.  Please advise.  Thanks.
>
> Don't fear that message. You do want to do this.
>
> I suggest you post future SBS questions in m.p.windows.server.sbs - even if
> you also crosspost (not multipost!) in the regular product groups. SBS does
> many things its own way.

Thanks, Lanwench. I did as you said and dragged the user into the
SBSUsers folder. It appears to have completed the move successfully,
but I'm still getting the same error when trying to open the Inbox in
Outlook. It doesn't appear to have changed my ability to monitor the
mail from Outlook using File | Open Other User's Folder. Any
suggestions?

lunchroom