SMTP Service will not Start

Allen Wadsworth

Feb 12, 2007, 11:06:00 AM2/12/07
Came in this morning and found out the smtp server had stopped. Tried to
start the service and it will not start. I get an error message,
"Could not start SMTP server on local machine. Error 123: The filename,
directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
I then look in event viewer and see this error.
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
with the following error:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
I looked in server management/advanced management/DomainName (Exchange) and
found the SMTP protocol. I appears to have a Red X on the Default SMTP
Virtual Server.
If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks,
Allen Wadsworth

Andy David {MVP}

Feb 12, 2007, 1:42:13 PM2/12/07

Any AV or 3rd party software installed?

Allen Wadsworth

Feb 12, 2007, 2:21:01 PM2/12/07
Last thing I installed was Brightmail Server Trial version. It never seemed
to work right. I also have Symantec Antivirus and Antivirus for Exchange. I
have had those setup since the server was installed. Brightmail Server might
be the answer. I did see when I click on the Queue section for my mail,
there is an error message at the bottom on the screen. Exchange System
Manager failed to retrieve queues for the SMTP Virtual Server (error code =
0x800706D9). Check the event log and verify that the required services are
running.
Looked it up and still could not find any answers.
Allen

Andy David {MVP}

Feb 12, 2007, 2:25:02 PM2/12/07
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:21:01 -0800, Allen Wadsworth
<AllenWa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Last thing I installed was Brightmail Server Trial version. It never seemed
>to work right. I also have Symantec Antivirus and Antivirus for Exchange. I
>have had those setup since the server was installed. Brightmail Server might
>be the answer. I did see when I click on the Queue section for my mail,
>there is an error message at the bottom on the screen. Exchange System
>Manager failed to retrieve queues for the SMTP Virtual Server (error code =
>0x800706D9). Check the event log and verify that the required services are
>running.
>Looked it up and still could not find any answers.

That sounds like a good culprit.

Allen Wadsworth

Feb 12, 2007, 4:38:02 PM2/12/07
uninstalled Brightmail and I still can't get the smtp service to start.
Wondering if you have any other ideas. I am really pullin my hair out now.
Thanks for you help

crust...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2007, 4:13:44 AM2/13/07
Uninstalling IIS from Add/Remove Programs and re-installing will
resolve your issue. If you run SBS, it's important to follow the
steps in KB Article 887385 from Microsoft.

If they have removed the article as they sometimes do, someone was
kind enough to post a copy here:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=548091

Jason Bellflowers, MCP
Virtual World Technologies, INC.