How can I hide my x400 address going to senders on Exchange 2007 when person is hidden from GAL

boe

Mar 26, 2009, 3:20:53 PM3/26/09
Hello,

When I click on hide a user from the global address list - if I send e-mails
from them it shows up in external mailboxes as extended info that looks like
x400. myname
[mailto:IMCEAEX-_O=FIRST+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=myn...@mydomain.com]

I'd prefer not to have to set up filters - if there is something simple I
could change it would be ideal.

Thanks

John Fullbright

Mar 26, 2009, 9:49:21 PM3/26/09
That's an IMCEA encapsulated address of the X500 directory name. The reason
the directory name is encapsulated is that no SMTP address is resolved and
you're sending via smtp.

"boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 26, 2009, 11:34:43 PM3/26/09
I certainly appreciate the answer but I don't follow your suggestion. This
happens if I send out through OWA or through outlook.

"John Fullbright" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message

John Fullbright

Mar 27, 2009, 2:27:46 AM3/27/09
When you send a message, your address is looked up in the GAL and that
populates the mailto. If you hide your address from the GAL, the lookup
fails. In that case, Exchange uses IMCEA encapsulation to encapsulate the
only address it can find (the directory name in X500 format) into an SMTP
address and populates the field. That's by design.

"boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 27, 2009, 8:28:25 AM3/27/09
Thanks - is there an easy way to get around this design?

"John Fullbright" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message

John Fullbright

Mar 27, 2009, 12:23:17 PM3/27/09
Don't hide it from the GAL.

"boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 28, 2009, 8:14:41 AM3/28/09
LOL - yes. However the client is in a different company so the owner of
the exchange server doesn't want that person's account showing in his
company GAL.

"John Fullbright" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message

Andy David {MVP}

Mar 28, 2009, 8:41:57 AM3/28/09
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 05:14:41 -0700, "boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>LOL - yes. However the client is in a different company so the owner of
>the exchange server doesn't want that person's account showing in his
>company GAL.

Did this start after applying SP1 RU7?

boe

Mar 28, 2009, 7:23:41 PM3/28/09
Thanks -

I don't know - I think it happened about 2 weeks ago but I haven't manually
applied any changes - I think it already has SP2 if I recall it has been a
while since I've applied any updates to that server myself. I never
noticed the issue until a client of hers pointed it out to her - Version 8.1
(Build 240.6)

"Andy David {MVP}" <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Mar 28, 2009, 10:42:43 PM3/28/09
There is no Exchange 2007 SP2; he means SP1 rollup patch 7.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

"boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Mar 28, 2009, 10:45:37 PM3/28/09
You can see what's installed in Add/Remove Programs. Select the Show Updates
checkbox.

--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

boe

Mar 29, 2009, 8:27:37 PM3/29/09
I did check, it is SP1 and has RU7 on it. As far as I can tell the long
x500 reply started about 2-4 weeks ago. It wasn't like this initially.

So does anyone know of a trick to hide the x500 address without unhiding the
user?

Thanks

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curs...@nospam.net> wrote in message

boe

Mar 29, 2009, 8:28:32 PM3/29/09
Thanks - It appears that is the source of the issue. I'd prefer not to
uninstall the RU7 but I would like to hide the x500 address.

Andy David {MVP}

Mar 29, 2009, 9:06:58 PM3/29/09
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:28:32 -0700, "boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

Its part of RU7, so you can either remove RU7 or unhide the mailbox or
call Microsoft support and open a case to see if another workaround
exists.

boe

Mar 29, 2009, 10:11:15 PM3/29/09
DOOH!

Thanks for the reply

"Andy David {MVP}" <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 30, 2009, 3:54:09 PM3/30/09
Turns out people in the hidden group now get blocked by yahoo. Is there a
way to disable the specific feature of RU7 that is causing all these issues
without uninstalling the whole thing?

Thanks!

Andy David {MVP}

Mar 30, 2009, 3:59:04 PM3/30/09
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:54:09 -0700, "boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Turns out people in the hidden group now get blocked by yahoo. Is there a
>way to disable the specific feature of RU7 that is causing all these issues
>without uninstalling the whole thing?

Can you post the exact NDR you are getting from Yahoo?

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Mar 30, 2009, 8:59:18 PM3/30/09
You could remove RU7 and reinstall RU6 and see if that solves the problem.

--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

"boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 31, 2009, 11:17:35 AM3/31/09
I spoke to the client - they don't get an NDR - the receiver just doesn't
get the e-mail.

"Andy David {MVP}" <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

boe

Mar 31, 2009, 11:17:12 AM3/31/09
Hello,

I verified the issue is definitely with RU7 - uninstalled - e-mail works
fine for yahoo and people don't get the x500 address.

Andy David {MVP}

Mar 31, 2009, 11:20:24 AM3/31/09
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:17:12 -0700, "boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I verified the issue is definitely with RU7 - uninstalled - e-mail works
>fine for yahoo and people don't get the x500 address.

What was the NDR?

Andy David {MVP}

Mar 31, 2009, 11:20:43 AM3/31/09
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:17:35 -0700, "boe" <boe...@SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I spoke to the client - they don't get an NDR - the receiver just doesn't
>get the e-mail.

I would check message tracking.

boe

Mar 31, 2009, 12:28:28 PM3/31/09
My guess is it is just going into blocked junk mail.

"Andy David {MVP}" <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

Muller@discussions.microsoft.com Lars Muller

Apr 6, 2009, 6:36:01 PM4/6/09
I just called Microsoft support. This is a known problem with Exchange 2007
RU7. As of today (Apr. 06/09), an internal patch is being tested. Per the
technician that I spoke with, the patch should be released within a few
weeks. This behaviour will be fixed in RU8.

boe

Apr 6, 2009, 9:25:25 PM4/6/09
Thanks!

"Lars Muller" <Lars Mul...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JJ

Apr 22, 2009, 11:18:01 AM4/22/09
Ed,
I am seeing the same issue with Exchange 2007 SP1 RU7. Do know if Microsoft
has/is releasing a fix for this issue? This is causing serious issues for
our environment with data privacy policies.

Jerry

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> You could remove RU7 and reinstall RU6 and see if that solves the problem.
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

> ..

John Fullbright

Apr 22, 2009, 9:09:37 PM4/22/09
I highly recommend you give PSS a ring.

John

"JJ" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Apr 22, 2009, 10:25:58 PM4/22/09
Exchange Support has a fix, but you'll have to contact them to get it.

--
Ed Crowley MVP
.

trei...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2009, 2:35:14 PM4/28/09
On Apr 22, 10:25 pm, "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <cursp...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Exchange Support has a fix, but you'll have to contact them to get it.
> --
> Ed Crowley MVP
> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
> .
>
> "JJ" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Ed,
> > I am seeing the same issue with Exchange 2007 SP1 RU7.  Do know if
> > Microsoft
> > has/is releasing a fix for this issue?  This is causing serious issues for
> > our environment with data privacy policies.
>
> > Jerry
>
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
> >> You could remove RU7 and reinstall RU6 and see if that solves the
> >> problem.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley MVP
> >> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
> >> ..
>
> >> "boe" <boe_...@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

Any update to this? I'm having the same problem and can't get
Microsoft to assist with the patch...

Ed Crowley [MVP]

Apr 28, 2009, 10:53:54 PM4/28/09
All I know about the fix is that you have to contact Microsoft Support to
get it.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
.