event id 9187 and 9186 but havent moved server

Gary M

Apr 9, 2008, 10:14:38 AM4/9/08
I am seeing quite a few errors on our exchange 2003 server running on
windows 2003, event IDs 9186 and 9187.

what I have found via google is that this occurs when moving the server from
one OU to another, but we havent done that, nothing has changed for at least
a year, so I am uncertain why this is happening.

I have had two people call with saying outlook was not responding, do not
know if it is related, as these errors go back a few days, and this is the
first I ahve heard of any issues.

here are the event IDs we are receiving:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: General
Event ID: 9187
Date: 4/9/2008
Time: 10:01:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer:exchange2003server
Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to add the local computer as a
member of the DS group object 'cn=Exchange Domain
Servers,cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'.

Please stop all the Microsoft Exchange services, add the local computer into
the group manually and restart all the services.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: General
Event ID: 9186
Date: 4/8/2008
Time: 8:15:59 PM
User: N/A
Computer: exchange2003server
Microsoft Exchange System Attendant has detected that the local computer is
not a member of group 'cn=Exchange Domain
Servers,cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'. System Attendant is going to add the
local computer into the group.

The current members of the group are
'CN=exchange2003server,OU=Servers,OU=WSUS Groups,DC=mydomain,DC=com;
CN=veritas,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=com; '.

Milind Naphade

Apr 9, 2008, 11:35:01 AM4/9/08
This is is very common when your exchange server either lose the membership
of group Exchange Domain server or when Exchange Domain Servers and Exchange
Enterprise Servers groups are moved from default Users OU to some other
custom OU.
Check if your server name is listed in the membership list of EDS and EES
security groups and also check if anyone of those or both of them have not
been moved somewhere else.

Jamestechman

Apr 9, 2008, 12:48:44 PM4/9/08
If all your Exchange servers are listed in the groups Exchange Domain
Servers and Exchange Enterprise Servers and you did not move your
Exchange Server to different group; then the other reason is that the
Exchange Domain Servers and the Exchange Enterprise Servers have been
moved to an OU other than the "users" OU.

Exchange 2003: Event ID: 9167 MSExchangeSA
http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+,
Security+, Project+, ITIL

On Apr 9, 10:14 am, "Gary M" <garym_dontspa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am seeing quite a few errors on our exchange 2003 server running on
> windows 2003, event IDs 9186 and 9187.
>
> what I have found via google is that this occurs when moving the server from
> one OU to another, but we havent done that, nothing has changed for at least
> a year, so I am uncertain why this is happening.
>
> I have had two people call with saying outlook was not responding, do not
> know if it is related, as these errors go back a few days, and this is the
> first I ahve heard of any issues.
>
> here are the event IDs we are receiving:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MSExchangeSA
> Event Category: General
> Event ID: 9187
> Date:  4/9/2008
> Time:  10:01:00 AM
> User:  N/A
> Computer:exchange2003server
> Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to add the local computer as a
> member of the DS group object 'cn=Exchange Domain
> Servers,cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'.
>
> Please stop all the Microsoft Exchange services, add the local computer into
> the group manually and restart all the services.
>

> For more information, clickhttp://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Gary M

Apr 9, 2008, 1:57:39 PM4/9/08
I found a suggestion online to restart the Exchange System Attendent and
have not seen the errors return since then.

There have been no OU changes, so still not certain why this error occured
to begin with.

"Jamestechman" <jamest...@gmail.com> wrote in message