Forwarding email sent to a Security Group

Ian Russell

Oct 28, 2008, 5:11:02 AM10/28/08

I manage an Exchange server (SBS 2003). I have greated a security group with
an email address (Gard...@domain-name.com). The group contains two
individual gardeners who each have mailboxes (first...@domainname.com).

They want to recieve mail that is sent to "Gard...@domain-name.com"
However when I look at that Group in the Active Directory, I cannot see any
mail forwarding options that appear for normal mailboxes.

Can you help please?
Ian

Tony Brown

Oct 28, 2008, 6:10:01 AM10/28/08
Hi Ian,

you need to make a distribution group - not a security group.

thanks,

Tony Brown MCSE +Security +Messaging
www.phillipstaylorbrown.com

Ian Russell

Oct 28, 2008, 6:58:01 AM10/28/08

Ok, thanks. I will look into that.
Ian

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 7:00:56 AM10/28/08

If thye are part of the group, why do want to forward mail to them?

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 7:00:07 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:10:01 -0700, Tony Brown
<Tony...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Ian,
>
>you need to make a distribution group - not a security group.

Not even a mail-enabled security group?

Ian Russell

Oct 28, 2008, 8:52:10 AM10/28/08
Hi Andy,

There will be mail sent to the generic address "Gardeners@...." they want
this forwarded to their individual individual addresses.
Ian

Martin Blackstone [MVP]

Oct 28, 2008, 8:58:06 AM10/28/08
And mail enable it.

"Tony Brown" <Tony...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 28, 2008, 9:34:59 AM10/28/08
Ian Russell <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> There will be mail sent to the generic address "Gardeners@...." they
> want this forwarded to their individual individual addresses.
> Ian

That's why this needs to be a mail-enabled group. In fact, why does it need
to be a security group at all? Mail-enabled security groups can be
dangerous, in that it isn't always clear what they grant (or deny) access
to - I'd stick with universal distribution groups and separate security
groups.

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 9:41:25 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:52:10 -0700, Ian Russell
<IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Andy,
>
>There will be mail sent to the generic address "Gardeners@...." they want
>this forwarded to their individual individual addresses.

So add their accounts to that mail-enabled security group.

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 9:54:53 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:34:59 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

>Ian Russell <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> There will be mail sent to the generic address "Gardeners@...." they
>> want this forwarded to their individual individual addresses.
>> Ian
>
>That's why this needs to be a mail-enabled group. In fact, why does it need
>to be a security group at all? Mail-enabled security groups can be
>dangerous, in that it isn't always clear what they grant (or deny) access
>to - I'd stick with universal distribution groups and separate security
>groups.

Unless that group is also used to um, grant, access to something.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 28, 2008, 10:06:06 AM10/28/08
Andy David {MVP} <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:34:59 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Ian Russell <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> There will be mail sent to the generic address "Gardeners@...." they
>>> want this forwarded to their individual individual addresses.
>>> Ian
>>
>> That's why this needs to be a mail-enabled group. In fact, why does
>> it need to be a security group at all? Mail-enabled security groups
>> can be dangerous, in that it isn't always clear what they grant (or
>> deny) access to - I'd stick with universal distribution groups and
>> separate security groups.
>
> Unless that group is also used to um, grant, access to something.

Right. Which is why I recommended breaking it out into two separate groups -
one for security and one for mail.

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 10:43:55 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:06 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

>Andy David {MVP} <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:34:59 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

>>> That's why this needs to be a mail-enabled group. In fact, why does
>>> it need to be a security group at all? Mail-enabled security groups
>>> can be dangerous, in that it isn't always clear what they grant (or
>>> deny) access to - I'd stick with universal distribution groups and
>>> separate security groups.
>>
>> Unless that group is also used to um, grant, access to something.
>
>Right. Which is why I recommended breaking it out into two separate groups -
>one for security and one for mail.

Not so good when you have thousands of users and groups!

Neil Hobson [MVP]

Oct 28, 2008, 11:00:22 AM10/28/08
Yeah but the OP did mention SBS in the first post. :-p

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

"Andy David {MVP}" <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 28, 2008, 11:01:38 AM10/28/08
Andy David {MVP} <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:06 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Andy David {MVP} <ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>>> Unless that group is also used to um, grant, access to something.
>>
>> Right. Which is why I recommended breaking it out into two separate
>> groups - one for security and one for mail.
>
> Not so good when you have thousands of users and groups!

Yep, true dat. But I'll bet that isn't the case here. Mail-enabled security
groups can indeed serve a purpose, but it's often dangerous in that people
want to remove someone from a mailing list & forget that the group controls
security over the file system or public folders or whatnot.

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 11:09:45 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:00:22 -0000, "Neil Hobson [MVP]"
<neil....@nospam.silversands.co.uk> wrote:

>Yeah but the OP did mention SBS in the first post. :-p

It could happen :P

Andy David {MVP}

Oct 28, 2008, 11:11:25 AM10/28/08
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:01:38 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanw...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:

Well, that's why there are processes in place for that. But, as
always, every place is different.

Not sure I would call that dangerous however :P

Ian Russell

Oct 28, 2008, 12:20:00 PM10/28/08
Hi David,

I created a mail enabled "Distribution Group" but I still dont see the
option to forward mail...

Ian

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 28, 2008, 1:25:17 PM10/28/08
Ian Russell <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I created a mail enabled "Distribution Group" but I still dont see the
> option to forward mail...
>
> Ian

You don't forward mail. You add your users to the distribution list (or any
mail-enabled group). Then mail sent to the group is received by all the
members - that's what DLs do.

Since you're using SBS, I suggest you use the SBS "server management"
console to set up your groups.

Ian Russell

Oct 29, 2008, 4:33:01 AM10/29/08
Hi, Just to join in again, can you help with this last question?

>> Hi David,
>>I created a mail enabled "Distribution Group" but I still dont see the<<
>>option to forward mail...<<

Thanks,

Martin Blackstone [MVP]

Oct 29, 2008, 9:22:43 AM10/29/08
You don't forward mail in a distribution list.
You add members. Then the members all receive the same mail that is sent to
the DL.

"Ian Russell" <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Oct 29, 2008, 10:14:35 AM10/29/08
Ian Russell <IanRu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi, Just to join in again, can you help with this last question?
>
>>> Hi David,
>>> I created a mail enabled "Distribution Group" but I still dont see
>>> the<< option to forward mail...<<
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

Hi, Ian - have you been reading the other replies in this thread? We've
answered your question several times. If you're having trouble, try using a
news client, such as Forte Agent, Thunderbird, or even Outlook Express,
rather than the pretty clunky web interface to the newsgroups. It's a lot
easier to do nearly everything that way. You can mark messages to be
watched, filter the views so you can see replies to your posts easily, and
search.

The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
subscribe to as many groups as you like; no authentication is required.

The following is from a post by MVP Malke ...

Here's information on Usenet and using a newsreader:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlo...ssnewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...wto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Some newsreaders for Windows
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - for Forte
http://www.mozilla.org (Thunderbird does newsgroups)
http://gravity.tbates.org/

Timothy Arnold

May 11, 2023, 4:00:29 PM5/11/23
The security group will automatically forward the email to the two people if you add them to the mail-enabled group you created.

Timothy Arnold

May 11, 2023, 4:02:53 PM5/11/23
The mail-enabled mailbox will automatically forward all emails to the group. Just add the two members to the group, ensure allow all emails, and click save. If it is a external user, create a contact and then put them into the group. Easy as that.