Merge Cells Option Grayed Out

Al Franz

Mar 18, 2008, 4:19:03 PM3/18/08
Using Excel 2007 and the Merge Cells Option is grayed out. I read the help
and said this may occur if cells are within a table, but they are not. The
spreadsheet is also showing SHARED, how can this be removed. Is this the
problem. The spreadsheet is not on a network?

Gord Dibben

Mar 18, 2008, 6:56:09 PM3/18/08
In versions earlier than 2007 you could not merge cells in a shared workbook.

Maybe same in 2007?

Not having the ability to merge cells is a good thing.

They cause no end of problems with copying, sorting, filtering, pasting,
autofitting and a host of others that escape me right now but will become
apparent to you as you attempt to work with merged cells.

They should be avoided if at all possible.

Center Across Selection can be useful in most cases.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:19:03 -0700, "Al Franz" <alb...@nospam.netmation.com>

JP

Mar 18, 2008, 7:50:36 PM3/18/08
Can't find the link right now, but you can't edit/create merged cells
in a shared workbook.

HTH,
JP

JP

Mar 18, 2008, 7:51:05 PM3/18/08
LOL, the world would be a better place.

--JP

Al Franz

Mar 18, 2008, 9:48:18 PM3/18/08
How do you change the workbook to non-shared in Excel 2007 ? Thanks.

"JP" <jp2...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

JP

Mar 19, 2008, 8:50:35 AM3/19/08
Here's what I found on http://tinyurl.com/3xtaqb. You would just
reverse the sharing.

Open your Excel workbook.
On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Share Workbook.
On the Editing tab, place a check beside the option to Allow changes
by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook
merging.
Click the Advanced tab and under Update Changes select Automatically
every. You can use the default value of 15 minutes or change this.
Click OK.

HTH,
JP

carlosmen...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2014, 12:45:31 AM9/6/14
I know that this topic is very old but I had mine working even when the Merge and Center command is grayed out. Just select the cells you want to merge, then press CTRL+M.

brand...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 2:25:21 AM8/23/17
Another way is to see if the 'Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This allows workbook merging.' check box is not 'checked'. Even if the workbook is not shared as long as that check box is enabled, the merge option will be grayed out.