Can't unselect multiple cells

jh

Mar 24, 2011, 1:35:43 PM3/24/11
Excel 2007

Sometimes when editing a spreadsheet Excel gets in a mode where the
cursor selects 2 cells instead of one. I try moving, escaping, closing
the file but the mode persists. I don't know how I got in this mode or
how to get out.

Thanks,

jvh

Rick Rothstein

Mar 25, 2011, 11:37:50 AM3/25/11

If I understand what you are describing correcting, try pressing F8 (it is
an on/off toggle).

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Gord Dibben

Mar 25, 2011, 11:44:58 AM3/25/11
If Rick's F8 toggle does not help.........

Another suggestion if using xl2007 which had a bug.

Increase/decrease Zoom level a few points.

I haven't read about the multi-cell selection problem for quite a while.

Could be an update got rid of it?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Aug 14, 2011, 8:12:34 PM8/14/11

This old gem... Such a common problem, so frustrating, and so few websites with the answer:

It happens by double-pressing the wheel on your wheel mouse.

That's how the scroll-lock gets accidentally activated.

Double-press it again.

> On Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:35 PM jh wrote:

> Excel 2007

> Sometimes when editing a spreadsheet Excel gets in a mode where the
> cursor selects 2 cells instead of one. I try moving, escaping, closing

> the file but the mode persists. I do not know how I got in this mode or
> how to get out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jvh

>> On Friday, March 25, 2011 11:37 AM Rick Rothstein wrote:

>> If I understand what you are describing correcting, try pressing F8 (it is
>> an on/off toggle).
>>
>> Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

>>> On Friday, March 25, 2011 11:44 AM Gord Dibben wrote:

>>> If Rick's F8 toggle does not help.........
>>>
>>> Another suggestion if using xl2007 which had a bug.
>>>
>>> Increase/decrease Zoom level a few points.
>>>

>>> I have not read about the multi-cell selection problem for quite a while.

woscar...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2015, 12:36:52 AM2/19/15
in Google sheets you can enter text in a cell outside of the selection and press enter and the selection eventually deselects. Maybe this works for excel as well

annl...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2016, 6:19:49 AM3/2/16
When this happens, I simply click on different spreadsheet tabs at bottom of screen, then return to your the spreadsheet you were working on; and/or switch to "Page layout" view, at bottom right of screen. For some unknown reason, this usually unlocks the multiple-cell-selections.