NOT equal to

Neon520

Jan 14, 2008, 4:43:03 PM1/14/08
How to write the criteria in the formula as NOT EQUAL TO?

For example, =if(A1 is NOT equal to "YES", do something, else do something
else)

Tyro

Jan 14, 2008, 4:48:18 PM1/14/08
Use the not equal operator, <>. IF(A1<>"Yes",True,False)

Tyro

"Neon520" <Neo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)

Jan 14, 2008, 4:48:44 PM1/14/08
=IF(A1<>"YES","A1 is not Yes","A1 equals Yes")

Rick

MartinW

Jan 14, 2008, 4:49:11 PM1/14/08
Hi Neon,

<> is the symbol for not equal to

HTH
Martin

T. Valko

Jan 14, 2008, 4:52:24 PM1/14/08
Like this:

=IF(A1<>"Yes",do_something,do_someting_else)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Neon520

Jan 14, 2008, 5:13:04 PM1/14/08
THANKS FOR THE RAPID REPLY, EVERYONE!!!
YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL!!!

daniel...@velocitycloud.com

Dec 15, 2017, 10:22:35 AM12/15/17
I am trying to use the SUMIF function. And it is not accepting the <> as not equal function. Here is the formula that is giving the error:

=SumIF(D3:D49,<>"*Project Management",(C3:C49))

I am basically trying to sum up the rows for all entries that are not Project Management.

--

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

This email may be confidential and/or protected by privilege. If you are
not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, distribution and/or use
are prohibited; please notify us immediately at cou...@velocitycloud.com and
delete this copy from your system.

Claus Busch

Dec 15, 2017, 12:34:48 PM12/15/17

Am Fri, 15 Dec 2017 07:22:31 -0800 (PST) schrieb
daniel...@velocitycloud.com:

> I am trying to use the SUMIF function. And it is not accepting the <> as not equal function. Here is the formula that is giving the error:
>
> =SumIF(D3:D49,<>"*Project Management",(C3:C49))
>
> I am basically trying to sum up the rows for all entries that are not Project Management.

the operator must be in quotes.
Try:
=SUMIF(D3:D49,"<>*Project Management",C3:C49)
or
=SUMIF(D3:D49,"<>" &"*Project Management",C3:C49)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016

tb

Dec 15, 2017, 2:07:05 PM12/15/17
Inexperienced Excel user here! :-)

What does the asterisk do in this part of the formula?

"<>" &"*Project Management"

I don't think that it multiplies anything, right?

--
tb

Claus Busch

Dec 15, 2017, 2:38:22 PM12/15/17

Am Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:07:01 +0000 (UTC) schrieb tb:

> What does the asterisk do in this part of the formula?
>
> "<>" &"*Project Management"
>
> I don't think that it multiplies anything, right?

that is a placeholder for other text. The OP looks for cells with
"Project Management" at the end of the text.