Auto Sum not working correctly

swalzy

Jul 19, 2012, 10:33:57 AM7/19/12

I have been conducting a payroll for a company for over a year now. Part
of the process is developing an excel worksheet outlining the hours
worked and the total gross pay for each employee. The total of this
spreadsheet has to balance to my ADP register. Last week the totals
would not balance. When I added the excel numbers up manually however,
the totals matched. I looked again and noticed that when I selected all
of the totals for the employees the sum in the bottom right corner was
the same number as my total in ADP and that I calculated manually. Does
anyone know why my Auto Sum Cell was not calculating correctly? All of
the relevant cells were included in the formula so I am not sure why it
would not work. Any suggestions are helpful.

--
swalzy

Vacuum Sealed

Jul 20, 2012, 8:00:51 AM7/20/12
Hi

Just a though, someone may have opened a file that has Auto Calculation
set to manual when opened and does not have it set back to Auto when
closing.

To check this, depending on the version you are using.

2000 - 2007.
Tools | Options | Calculation
Select Automatic.

2010
File | Options | Formulas | Calculation Options
Select Automatic.

Or if you want to keep the sheet as manual, just hit F9 to do an instant
auto-calc.

HTH
Mick.