Display image thumbnails in Excel cells

Dr. Strangelove

Oct 28, 2009, 1:52:01 PM10/28/09
I want to insert a link in a cell, that points to a jpg image on my disk.

No problem, easily done. I click on the link, and the image comes up in
whatever viewer is my default.

However, I want the thumbnail for this image to be displayed in the cell, or
when I hover over the link.

How can I make this happen? Using Excel 2007.

Doc

Gord Dibben

Oct 28, 2009, 5:37:41 PM10/28/09
Along with the hyperlink in the cell, insert a Comment and add the picture
to the Comment background.

Insert>Comment.

Right-click and Format Comment>Colors and Lines>Color>Fill Effects>Picture

Browse to the image file and "OK"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Dr. Strangelove

Oct 28, 2009, 7:04:07 PM10/28/09
Thanks!

Doc

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> .

jonski

Jan 12, 2010, 2:05:01 PM1/12/10
"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Along with the hyperlink in the cell, insert a Comment and add the picture
> to the Comment background.
>
> Insert>Comment.
>
> Right-click and Format Comment>Colors and Lines>Color>Fill Effects>Picture
>
> Browse to the image file and "OK"

Glad I found that great tip, and thank you, but I'm wondering it there's any
way of actually making the cell background "properly" the image? I also have
Excel 2010 Beta.

Reason being is that I've been given a badly made spreadsheet to sort out,
and one column has images, but even though the box "resize and keep aligned
with cell" (or similar), when I come to sort, it goes all random!

Also, the images must be displayed IN the cell, not in a comment.

Thank you.

Gord Dibben

Jan 12, 2010, 6:33:10 PM1/12/10
The only way to sort images and have them stay with the cells is to reduce
the image size so's it fits within the confines of the cell.

It will then size and move with the cell.

The reason being..........images float on top of cells so if larger than the
cells they will continue to float.

Gord

jonski

Jan 21, 2010, 5:49:01 AM1/21/10
"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> The only way to sort images and have them stay with the cells is to reduce
> the image size so's it fits within the confines of the cell.
>
> It will then size and move with the cell.
>
> The reason being..........images float on top of cells so if larger than the
> cells they will continue to float.

Thank you so much! I'd have thanked you earlier, but I never seem to get
notified of replies (email address IS valid) and the MS interface to
newsgroups is a bit dodgy and I can never find my posts - sometimes they
appear in search, somtimes not. Anyway, thanks!

Xlsaddin

Feb 2, 2010, 3:06:26 PM2/2/10
This add in for Excel can do it...check this site http://www.excel-image-assistant.com