What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

Rat@discussions.microsoft.com Desert Rat

Feb 11, 2006, 7:01:27 AM2/11/06
I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the symbol ^ when using
calculations in Excel. Can anyone help me?

flummi

Feb 11, 2006, 7:12:37 AM2/11/06
3^3 = 27 which means 3 raised to the power of 3

Hans

Max

Feb 11, 2006, 7:13:45 AM2/11/06
Caret: "^" means "to the power of"

Eg: entering in say, A1: =3^4
means to evaluate 3 to the power of 4
i.e: =3x3x3x3=81

Likewise =2^3 = 2x2x2=8
--
Max
Singapore
"Desert Rat" <Desert R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

bigwheel

Feb 11, 2006, 7:16:27 AM2/11/06
It means "raise to the power of" so that 2^3 means 2 raised to the power of 3
(or 2 cubed) which equals 8

joeu2004h...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 11, 2006, 2:05:27 PM2/11/06

For future reference, use the key phrase "calculation operators"
in a Help search, and see the Help page "about calculation
operators".

Bernard Liengme

Feb 11, 2006, 2:07:12 PM2/11/06
You got lots of good answers but if you need another:
The one-word name for the ^ operator is "exponentiation"
just as + is addition, × is multiplication.....
For confirmation of this lovely geek work, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

ravikan...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2013, 9:43:21 AM9/23/13
On Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:31:27 PM UTC+5:30, Desert Rat wrote:
> I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the symbol ^ when using
> calculations in Excel. Can anyone help me?

GOOD

ravindrab...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2015, 8:26:12 AM9/19/15
"--" means