Deselect (Unselect) Cells

gtabmx

Aug 10, 2007, 5:56:01 PM8/10/07
I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Jim Thomlinson

Aug 10, 2007, 6:16:01 PM8/10/07
Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Elkar

Aug 10, 2007, 6:20:01 PM8/10/07
I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

gtabmx

Aug 10, 2007, 6:26:03 PM8/10/07
I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007. Why can I not deselect
non-adjacent cells? Was it to difficult for the fellows at Microsoft to
program or was it not a popular function?

Elkar

Aug 10, 2007, 6:38:03 PM8/10/07
I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.

If you're not aware of it, you can hit SHIFT-F8 to toggle "Add to Selection"
on/off. This allows you to select multiple cells without holding down any
keys. That doesn't solve the problem, but could help to avoid accidentally
clicking on a wrong cell and having to start over.

HTH,
Elkar

Gord Dibben

Aug 10, 2007, 7:46:23 PM8/10/07
I know of no version of Excel that allows you to de-select a cell by re-clicking
in the manner you describe.

Once selected with CTRL + Click, the cells are selected.

Chip Pearson has code to allow de-selecting cells or ranges.

Sub UnSelectActiveCell()
Dim Rng As Range
Dim FullRange As Range
'Chip Pearson
If Selection.Cells.Count > 1 Then
For Each Rng In Selection.Cells
If Rng.Address <> ActiveCell.Address Then
If FullRange Is Nothing Then
Set FullRange = Rng
Else
Set FullRange = Application.Union(FullRange, Rng)
End If
End If
Next Rng

If FullRange.Cells.Count > 0 Then
FullRange.Select
End If
End If

End Sub

Sub UnSelectActiveArea()
'Chip Pearson
Dim Rng As Range
Dim FullRange As Range
Dim Ndx As Integer
If Selection.Areas.Count > 1 Then
For Each Rng In Selection.Areas
If Application.Intersect(ActiveCell, Rng) Is Nothing Then
If FullRange Is Nothing Then
Set FullRange = Rng
Else
Set FullRange = Application.Union(FullRange, Rng)
End If
End If
Next Rng
FullRange.Select
End If

End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:56:01 -0700, gtabmx <gta...@discussions.microsoft.com>

MartinW

Aug 10, 2007, 11:59:44 PM8/10/07
I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although many
is the time that I have wished I could.

Reclicking on a cell just changes it to be the active cell. It turns
to white but is still part of the selection set.

Regards
Martin

"gtabmx" <gta...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jon Peltier

Aug 11, 2007, 9:16:09 AM8/11/07
It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Elkar" <El...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

RagDyeR

Aug 11, 2007, 1:22:57 PM8/11/07
Like some of folks here, I could have sworn that I used to be able to select
and de-select in some earlier version of XL ... that is until just this
morning.

I was working in Windows explorer, *AND * THERE* is where it can be done! !
!

Just got those 2 mixed up in my memory.<bg>
--

HTH,

RD

Peo Sjoblom

Aug 11, 2007, 2:37:59 PM8/11/07
Look like gtabmx got spastic over nothing

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"RagDyeR" <rag...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message

FC

Aug 11, 2007, 8:10:01 PM8/11/07
Maybe this will make sense in some way as our mind can play tricks on us:
After making the selection holding down control, if you click on one of the
cells that was already selected, that cell turns white again ( not light up
or not blue...) and make us think that was de-selected but it's not. However
this feature should be consider for later excel versions (2010?), I'm sure
we'll use it very often.

ashleymattes

Nov 17, 2008, 10:03:36 AM11/17/08
I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you could DEFINITELY deselect cells within a selected entire row/column before in 2003 by holding down CTRL and clicking the cell. I just converted over to 2007 and noticed this is no longer an option. WTF Microsoft! Why would you take this lovely function away! Mike, or anyone else, have you found out how to do this yet???

shg

Nov 17, 2008, 10:16:22 AM11/17/08

Ctrl+click in a selection in Excel 2003 doesn't remove the cell from the
selection; it changes the active cell.

--
shg
shg's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=13

Chip Pearson

Nov 17, 2008, 12:24:06 PM11/17/08
I don't believe that any version of Excel, 2007, 2003 or anything
else, ever allowed you to unselect a cell, removing it from the
current selection. Holding down the CTRL key changes which cell within
the selected cells is the Active Cell, but it does not and never did
allow you to remove the cell from the Selection. I have code on my
web site at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.aspx that allows
you to unselect the active cell or the active area, removing it from
the current Selection.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

Bob I

Nov 17, 2008, 1:42:19 PM11/17/08
I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

adrienmel

Jan 5, 2010, 4:36:53 AM1/5/10
By the way, when you make multiple selection while holding ctrl on Word 2007 you can of course unselect by re-clicking...

So keep your lousy explication (like "I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel") for yourself, thank you.

Bob I wrote:

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

17-Nov-08

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

Ashley wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 5:56 PM
gtabm wrote:

Deselect (Unselect) Cells

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:16 PM
James_Thomlinso wrote:

Not too sure what you are talking about.
Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:20 PM
Elka wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel.
I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:26 PM
gtabm wrote:

I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007.
I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007. Why can I not deselect
non-adjacent cells? Was it to difficult for the fellows at Microsoft to
program or was it not a popular function?

"Elkar" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:38 PM
Elka wrote:

I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.
I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.

If you're not aware of it, you can hit SHIFT-F8 to toggle "Add to Selection"
on/off. This allows you to select multiple cells without holding down any
keys. That doesn't solve the problem, but could help to avoid accidentally
clicking on a wrong cell and having to start over.

HTH,
Elkar

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 7:46 PM
Gord Dibben wrote:

End Sub

End Sub

On Friday, August 10, 2007 11:59 PM
MartinW wrote:

I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although manyis the time
I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although many
is the time that I have wished I could.

Reclicking on a cell just changes it to be the active cell. It turns
to white but is still part of the selection set.

Regards
Martin

"gtabmx" <gta...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:16 AM
Jon Peltier wrote:

It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.
It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 1:22 PM
RagDyeR wrote:

HTH,

End Sub

End Sub

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 2:37 PM
Peo Sjoblom wrote:

Look like gtabmx got spastic over nothing-- Regards,Peo Sjoblom"RagDyeR"
Look like gtabmx got spastic over nothing

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:10 PM
F wrote:

Re: Deselect (Unselect) Cells

Maybe this will make sense in some way as our mind can play tricks on us:
After making the selection holding down control, if you click on one of the
cells that was already selected, that cell turns white again ( not light up
or not blue...) and make us think that was de-selected but it's not. However
this feature should be consider for later excel versions (2010?), I'm sure
we'll use it very often.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

On Monday, November 17, 2008 10:03 AM
Ashley Mattes wrote:

I agree with Mike

I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you could DEFINITELY deselect cells within a selected entire row/column before in 2003 by holding down CTRL and clicking the cell. I just converted over to 2007 and noticed this is no longer an option. WTF Microsoft! Why would you take this lovely function away! Mike, or anyone else, have you found out how to do this yet???

On Monday, November 17, 2008 10:16 AM
shg wrote:

On Monday, November 17, 2008 12:24 PM
Chip Pearson wrote:

I don't believe that any version of Excel, 2007, 2003 or anythingelse, ever
I don't believe that any version of Excel, 2007, 2003 or anything
else, ever allowed you to unselect a cell, removing it from the
current selection. Holding down the CTRL key changes which cell within
the selected cells is the Active Cell, but it does not and never did
allow you to remove the cell from the Selection. I have code on my
web site at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.aspx that allows
you to unselect the active cell or the active area, removing it from
the current Selection.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:03:36 -0800, Ashley Mattes wrote:

On Monday, November 17, 2008 1:42 PM
Bob I wrote:

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.
I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

Ashley wrote:

EIS Pcode Training Samples
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5931a436-79b4-426d-943e-00c77035998b/eis-pcode-training-sample.aspx

Bob Umlas

Jan 5, 2010, 4:04:14 PM1/5/10
This was never possible in Excel -- not be re-clicking it.

Gord Dibben

Jan 5, 2010, 5:45:50 PM1/5/10
That's why I posted Chip's code but someone has chosen to ignore all the
selection"

Then Adrien pops in with a reference to Word which has no bearing on Excel.

Gord

Bob I

Jan 6, 2010, 9:13:05 AM1/6/10
Just what part of "This can't be done in Excel" escapes you?

christopherrobinson

Jan 9, 2010, 2:48:37 PM1/9/10
Double click. Works in every version of Excel up to 2003. I haven't tried it in 2007, but can later today. (I don't like office 2007 for various reasons, so wouldn't be surprised if they removed the easy deselect function).

cheers,
chris

Adrien Mel wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was possible
05-Jan-10

By the way, when you make multiple selection while holding ctrl on Word 2007 you can of course unselect by re-clicking...

So keep your lousy explication (like "I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel") for yourself, thank you.

Run an ASP Page with parameters from SQL Server
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/1c387dc4-875b-4392-80b5-687cb5e039d6/run-an-asp-page-with-para.aspx

Gord Dibben

Jan 9, 2010, 3:04:30 PM1/9/10
Would be a great trick if it actually worked in any version of Excel.

Unfortunately, it does not.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Bud Barthlome

Oct 21, 2010, 7:49:13 PM10/21/10
I don't want to be facetious but you throw that MVP thing around like it really means something.

I don't want to burst your bubble, BUT, the deselect function was one time part of MICROSOFT EXCEL. And yes it was a popular function, and they should put it back.

> On Friday, August 10, 2007 5:56 PM gtabm wrote:

> I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
> was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
> then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
> CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
> deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
> someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
> an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.
>
> Mike

>> On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:16 PM James_Thomlinso wrote:

>> Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
>> never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
>> --
>> HTH...
>>
>> Jim Thomlinson
>>

>> "gtabmx" wrote:

>>> On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:20 PM Elka wrote:

>>> I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
>>> using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
>>> 2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:
>>>
>>> "[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
>>> nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."
>>>
>>> HTH,

Randall Bell

Dec 24, 2010, 9:42:42 AM12/24/10
For what it's worth. I found this thread because I'm trying to do several fairly complex multiple selections, and, am being driven mad because I keep making a mistake half way through (90% through on one occasion). What unbelievably stupid functionality.

Anyway, again, for what its worth: Open Office works the sensible way but won't let me perform the copy and save on the multiple selection. However: if you open the file in OO; make the selection; save it, and, re-open it in excel: the selection is still highlighted and you can copy and paste (as long as the selection is essentially oblong e.g. A1-A6, C1-C6, E1-E6 etc.).

Of course you lose any formatting of graphs and things so you need to know you're going to need to do all this before you get too far down the road.

Well there you go, word is terrible when compared to OO, but, Excel is still the best spread sheet... just.

> On Friday, August 10, 2007 5:56 PM gtabm wrote:

> I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
> was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
> then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
> CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
> deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
> someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
> an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.
>
> Mike

>> On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:16 PM James_Thomlinso wrote:

>> Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
>> never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
>> --
>> HTH...
>>
>> Jim Thomlinson
>>

>> "gtabmx" wrote:

>>> On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:20 PM Elka wrote:

>>> I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
>>> using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
>>> 2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:
>>>
>>> "[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
>>> nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."
>>>
>>> HTH,

Gord Dibben

Dec 24, 2010, 12:16:33 PM12/24/10
Sounds like you need this functionality often.

Assign the two macros to buttons on a Toolbar and use them when you need to
correct a selection.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Sammy Layla

Jun 30, 2021, 1:53:05 PM6/30/21