SOLVED - Excel slow open and close

Jeff

Dec 13, 2001, 4:31:37 PM12/13/01
I saw other messages posted about emptying the
c:\windows\temp directory, but that was for windows 98
apparently. I went to the c:\winnt\temp directory and it
was empty... i thought that maybe windows 2000 stores temp
files in a different directory, so i went to check it out
and apparently it stores them under a user profile like so:

c:\documents and settings\<user>\local settings\temp

I had 4000 junk files and when i deleted them, it ran like
a champ. i assume these files were left over by the
numerous crashes I get in excel and outlook.

fixes
>it. I would like to know what my problem could be. I
>have tried many different workbooks and they all have
this
>problem, as long as they have macros. Our macros are
VERY
>simple. Plus, no macros are run on startup. We have a
>total of maybe 10 buttons and drop-down menus on some of
>these workbooks. That is it. No other controls. No
>links to external files in any way.
>
>Even if I disable macros it takes over 5 minutes to
load.
>On a PC without this problem it takes 2 seconds. They
are

>Please Help!!!! Respond via email if you could...
>
>.

EarlK

Dec 13, 2001, 9:29:39 PM12/13/01
Jeff,

Crash? You must be mistaken. Never ever happens. Leave huge amounts of files
on the disk? No way. It'd never do such a thing.

Well, maybe Outlook Express leaves every single last newsgroup posting
you've ever downloaded on the disk, even after you've unsubscribed to the
group. Maybe just a little. Other'n that...

Even though it doesn't ever ever leave junk files on disk, ever, I have a
batch file that runs at bootup and clears every temp, cookies, history, etc.
folder I know of.

Regards from Virginia Beach,

EarlK

"Jeff" <jh...@Integpg.com> wrote in message

David McRitchie

Dec 14, 2001, 9:24:20 AM12/14/01
Hi Jeff,
Finding out for yourself works best is usually the best
approach, but of interest may be...

Windows 98 has a utility that will help with many of the
above it is called Disk CleanUp and can be found in
Programs, Accessories, Utilities from your Windows START button.

Like much of MS software it does not tell you what it
is going to do before it starts. Fortunately it just
initially calculates how much space you would save by
checking certain lines to delete files and only deletes
those types of files when you give it permission to delete
all of them.

Don't know if that utiliy exists in Windows 2000 or not.

For more information on Slow Response see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

BTW, thanks for answering your own question and more
importantly with the information. Some people think that
"nevermind, I've solved my problem" is the only answer
they need to provide.

HTH,
My Excel Macros: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

Myrna Larson

Dec 14, 2001, 11:35:42 AM12/14/01
>Well, maybe Outlook Express leaves every single last newsgroup posting
>you've ever downloaded on the disk, even after you've unsubscribed to the
>group. Maybe just a little. Other'n that...

Just a comment on the above. If you go to the Tools menu, select Options, then
the Maintenance tab, you can specify what to delete and when. If you click on
the Clean Up Now button, you can delete all message bodies, all bodies and
headers, or reset so old messages will be downloaded again. If you delete
things from here, you also have to compact the file to get the space back.