Macros enabled but will not run in excel 2007

Randy

Nov 18, 2007, 8:35:00 PM11/18/07
I am running Excel 2007 and Windows Vista Business. I have enabled all
macros and checked the trust access to the vba project object module.
Despite this I receive the following error message: 'Because of your
security settings, macros have been disabled. To enable macros you need to
reopen this workbook and then enable macros.' I have done this multiple
times. It does not work. I have done multiple searches on Google and at the
Microsoft website. Nothing is showing up related to this particular problem.
Can someone recommend a solution?

Thank you.
--
Randy

OssieMac

Nov 19, 2007, 12:08:01 AM11/19/07
Hi Randy,

I had a few problems when I first started with xl2007 trying to get the
macros in my xl2002 files to work. I found that the macros security had to be
set prior to the first opening the old workbooks. It appeared that if opened
in xl2007 prior to setting the security to allow them, the macros got
disabled and would not re-enable the next time I opened them even with the
security set correctly. (Luckily I had backups of the workbooks).

I found that if the security was set to allow them before opening for the
first time then they were OK. I then used Save as Macro Enabled Workbook,
closed the file and re-opened and they were fine.
--
Regards,

OssieMac

Randy

Nov 19, 2007, 8:41:01 AM11/19/07
Thanks for writing. Someone else had the exact problem I did which I found
after I wrote you. The problem it turns out was that if any office 2007 file
is password protected, you will not be able to run macros even if you enable
them. I have found no official statements from Microsoft in any of their
materials nor was I able to find this through Google. However, based upon
this person's experience, I removed the password from the file and sure
enough it was able to run macros.

--
Randy

Rao Ratan Singh

Jan 8, 2008, 12:21:00 AM1/8/08
Hi Randy,
I was just searching for same problem what you have faced. I just did as you
did and my UDF is working properly.

Thank you very much.

Andrew B

Jun 1, 2008, 12:01:00 PM6/1/08
I have just encountered this problem for the first time on a
password-protected workbook (originally converted from Excel 2000) where the
macros worked a month ago. Removing the password enabled the macros. I see
there was an update to Office 2007 two weeks ago, which appears to have
introduced the problem, though previous posts are older than this. Perhaps
Microsoft have extended this 'feature' in the recent update?

Vieira@discussions.microsoft.com Joao Vieira

Jun 6, 2008, 2:49:00 PM6/6/08
Same problem here..but different solution.
Yes removing the password protection works.
However one can also select "Personal Macro Workbook" as the place for
storing your macros when you record one.

After saved there it will be available for al your workbooks, as the default
macro storing file opens hidden everytime you open Excel (PERSONAL.XLSB).

Still for the macros to work on your sheet one will have to UNHIDE the macro
workbook (PERSONAL.XLSB by default). Simply open and close the Macros list
(So, yes there is a bug here) and then the macros will be functional on all
workbooks.

This would be a aorkaround if one need to keep the file password protected.

DanielLipkie

Jul 18, 2008, 5:43:01 PM7/18/08
I had the same problem with an 2007 xlsm file. So I saved it as a 97-2003
file, *.xls. And now I have protection and functioning macros inside Excel
2007.

Jeff

Oct 14, 2008, 11:41:02 AM10/14/08
Is there a way like in 2003 to hold down shift key to disable the macro from
running

Susan

Dec 11, 2008, 6:28:05 PM12/11/08
You seem like you have a lot of knowledge on this - so here goes. I recenly
started using xp/2007 office - no netwrk. Since I started - I can't always
download an excel doc from my email service and from other sources where I
want to click a link to open or save a doc.

Everything else opens and saves fine - just not excel docs. Thoughts?
Susan

Jose Reyes

Sep 17, 2009, 11:32:11 AM9/17/09
I try to use the workbook (PERSONAL.XLSB) and I get the following message
"Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording"
and after "Unable to record". I try to lcate this file (unhide folder and
files), and i can not find it. Is there another way to create this file and
where is suppose to be located.

Dave Peterson

Sep 17, 2009, 12:22:41 PM9/17/09
I wonder if excel thinks that your personal.xlsb file is corrupted and
quarantined/disabled it.

In xl2003 menus, you can use:
help|about microsoft excel|disabled items

In xl2007, I _think_ it's under:
Office button|Excel Options|Addins
select disabled items from the dropdown at the bottom of that window.

You can "undisable" it--but if the file is really bad, you may find that you
have to delete it and use a backup version of the file.

--

Dave Peterson

Mg

Oct 5, 2009, 10:19:01 PM10/5/09