InstallUtil.exe error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid...

Matt Standing

Dec 5, 2002, 11:38:42 AM12/5/02
When attempting to use the InstallUtil.exe utility on a service assembly in
Win2K advanced server I get the following error.

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The account name is invalid or does
not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified

This error occurs regardless of logging in as Administrator or not and
seeing that InstallUtil does not have options for user and password I am at
a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Felix Wu(MS)

Dec 9, 2002, 2:49:42 AM12/9/02
Hi Matt,

Check the values for both the Username and Password properties of your
ServiceProcessInstaller instance. If the ServiceProcessInstaller.Account is
set to User,
make sure the user you specify in the Username does exist in the system and
the Password is correct. If this does not work, check the the Local
Security Policy under Administrative Tools to see if the user has "Log on
as a service" right.

Alternatively, you can set the ServiceProcessInstaller.Account to
ServiceAccount.LocalSystem to run this service under LocalSystem:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix Wu