Problem with DirectShow in DxDiag

Ryan

Dec 16, 2007, 4:42:00 PM12/16/07
tWhenever I run DxDiag it crashes then asks me to skip checking DirectShow
the next time. If I don't skip it it crashes again. How can I fix this?

Ryan

Dec 18, 2007, 9:42:02 AM12/18/07
Anyone?

Ryan

Dec 19, 2007, 9:01:01 PM12/19/07
Not to be too sarcastic, but thanks

"Ryan" wrote:

> Anyone?

Niko Suni (MVP)

Dec 20, 2007, 7:03:41 AM12/20/07
There are several hundreds of modules (filters, runtime libraries) working
in conjunction with DirectShow on a typical machine. Therefore, it is
impossible to close in to the fault with the info you have provided.

Can you use a debugger on the machine? If you do, which module does it
report as the crash location? What Windows error code? Have you sent the
crash info to Microsoft for analysis?

Regards,
-Niko
MVP, Windows/DirectX

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ryan

Dec 20, 2007, 10:17:00 AM12/20/07
What is the name of the debugger program, I'd be happy to run it. I do have
the report from Vista's Problem Reports and Solutions.

Product
Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Problem
Stopped working

Date
12/17/2007 9:38 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dxdiag.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.17052
Application Timestamp: 474fe7c1
Fault Module Name: StackHash_7502
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.17052
Fault Module Timestamp: 474ffcc8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000b00b8
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7502
Additional Information 2: ee84ab255c7e3e8cb623ad91528d1b6e
Additional Information 3: 111f
Additional Information 4: 67f44b82ab5e652627a38ea1bd66e775

Niko Suni (MVP)

Dec 21, 2007, 5:28:40 AM12/21/07
The data you have provided strongly suggests that the crash happens due to a
broken DShow filter initialization routine.

The error code in your report signifies heap corruption, which is caused by
incorrect memory handling. "StackHash" module name means that the exception
occurs in either the stack memory of the calling object, or an unloaded
module (latter of which can also be the bug source itself).

I have not seen or heard reports that the core DShow filters would have bugs
like this, so it is probably safe to assume the crash is caused by a
third-party filter module that has bugs with its memory management.

Try to uninstall possible "filter packs" you might have installed, and see
if the problem goes away. If it does, you can try to re-install newer
versions of the said filter packs. That said, I recommend installing the
FFDSHOW runtime library that implements a vast array of different codecs.

In case you do need a debugger later, I recommend Visual Studio. However, if
you are not a developer, you don't get much more meaningful info about the
crash than you already have.

HTH,
-Niko

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ryan

Dec 21, 2007, 9:56:00 AM12/21/07
I was using the K-lite codec pack, but I've uninstalled that as you
suggested. I'm still getting the same crash:

Product
Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Problem
Stopped working

Date
12/21/2007 6:39 AM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dxdiag.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.17052
Application Timestamp: 474fe7c1

Fault Module Name: StackHash_7aee

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.17052
Fault Module Timestamp: 474ffcc8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000b00b8
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 7aee
Additional Information 2: 68799a9091770047212654d1710f1dcf
Additional Information 3: 51ce
Additional Information 4: 38d620d1ad66d42ce8d715655c9591a4

I'm going to install FFDSHOW as you recommended and try again.

Ryan

Dec 21, 2007, 10:01:00 AM12/21/07
Yup, still crashing. I don't really have any programming experience. Would
running Visual Studio help others find out the cause for this, or does
Vista's crash report show as much as Studio?
And thank you Niko for your help, I really appreciate it.

Niko Suni (MVP)

Dec 23, 2007, 7:43:27 AM12/23/07
Visual Studio is just a developer's toolkit that happens to include a
debugger (very common for development environments).

Usage of VS requires expertise in the discipline of programming and/or
debugging; it cannot automatically mine the crash data to pinpoint the
error. However, unlike the Vista error reporting tool (which is actually a
rudimentary debugger itself), you get to see all the modules, call stack and
even the current instruction when you use the VS debugger upon app crash.
This info might help a professional developer but it's just "empty calories"
for a layman.

Should you be proficient in programming, you could enumerate all DShow
filters, try to initialize each of them, and take note where things go wrong
in this process.

I still think the issue is due to a third-party codec, but apart from
re-installing your OS, I cannot provide any workarounds for non-developers.

Anyway, wishing you happy holidays,
-Niko

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ryan

Dec 23, 2007, 2:45:01 PM12/23/07
Alright, thank you for all the help. Well short of the DxDiag crash is there
really anything this affects? I mean, is it worth doing something as extreme
as an complete OS reinstall?

Enjoy the holidays

Niko Suni (MVP)

Dec 24, 2007, 2:49:49 PM12/24/07
If your system works fine otherwise, I would not advise a re-install over
this issue. DXDiag is just an utility program that isn't vital for most of
the tasks you probably do on the computer.

Generally speaking, if you can view videos and hear music from your computer
using Windows Media Player, the DShow core is working as it should.

DShow and Windows in general are very modular, so even though one part fails
in one specific scenario, that failure doesn't usually bring down the whole
system (unless it's a kernel-level issue, which - with very high
probability - this is not).

-Niko