Non Plug & Play ISA Driver support in Windows XP and Windows 7 ?

dsrking

Aug 9, 2010, 9:00:25 AM8/9/10

I need to write a driver for Non Plug & Play ISA supported CAN
Controller in Windows XP and 7. From net and wdk, i got some
information and i have some doubts on it.

1. Windows 7 supports Non Plug & Play ISA driver? I got this doubt
from the below link,
"http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/pci/isa-bus.mspx".

2. portio sample in WDK (WDF based driver) is enough for my
requirement. (especially for windows 7)? But there is no support for
interrupt handler. Is it possible to add interrupt handler from some
other pci driver? and also it does not mention any vendor/device id in
genport.inf file. For my device, it is possible to add this Id portion
to .inf file.

3. "WinDDK\7600.16385.1\src\general\amcc5933" sample is well suited
for my requirement? This is for only IO based. I want to access Memory
based driver. Is it also possible to add this support from some other
pci driver.
This driver is loaded as virtual one (i.e., using ADD hardware
wizard). How this .inf file gets loaded for my device (i.e., for
specific vendor/device ID) even though it is loaded as virtual driver?

Awaiting for your response.

Best Regards,
Dsrking.

Don Burn

Aug 9, 2010, 9:24:08 AM8/9/10
Your driver will need to be plug and play even if the device is not.
Starting with XP old NT style drivers became problematical on real
hardware.

Personally, I would not use either sample you list below, but instead
develop a KMDF driver for your device. Since your device does not
really support plug and play, KMDF will handle all the work in that
area. Since KMDF also simplifies the rest of the driver you will speed
your development.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

signature
> database 5351 (20100809) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Maxim S. Shatskih

Aug 9, 2010, 9:43:30 AM8/9/10
> I need to write a driver for Non Plug & Play ISA supported CAN

I think PnP ISA drivers are the same as non-PnP ones, the difference is in INF file and installation only.

The INF for non-PnP must list the possible port IO ranges in LogConfig, the device is installed manually in Add New Hardware+select from list, and there the admin must choose the port IO ranges from the ones in LogConfig.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

dsrking

dsrking

Aug 9, 2010, 10:05:17 AM8/9/10
Thanks Don & maxim,

could you please answer my first question,

"1. Windows 7 supports Non Plug & Play ISA driver? I got this doubt
from the below link,
"http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/pci/isa-bus.mspx". "

Thanks for your great support.

Regards,
dsrking.

dsrking

Aug 9, 2010, 10:07:21 AM8/9/10
Thanks Don & maxim,

The above mentioned 2 samples are in KMDF based. and also please guide
me for my first doubt.

Don Burn

Aug 9, 2010, 10:11:11 AM8/9/10
No, Windows 7 does not support a Non Plug and Play driver, but you can
support a Non Plug and Play device with a Plug and Play driver.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Windows 7 ?
> Subject: Re: Non Plug & Play ISA Driver support in Windows XP and
Windows 7 ?

signature

> database 5352 (20100809) __________

dsrking

Aug 9, 2010, 10:28:30 AM8/9/10
thanks Don,

What about ISA support in Windows 7?

-- D.

Don Burn

Aug 9, 2010, 10:40:06 AM8/9/10
This should be the same as any other legacy device such as a COM port.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

dsrking

Aug 9, 2010, 10:56:08 AM8/9/10
Basically shall i continue my driver development with some KMDF based
PCI driver samples for both xp and win 7?

Thanks a lot Don. I shall check with my hardware and let u know.

--D.

Maxim S. Shatskih

Aug 9, 2010, 11:55:19 AM8/9/10
> Basically shall i continue my driver development with some KMDF based
> PCI driver samples for both xp and win 7?

Yes, just do not touch the config space and remember that ISA interrupts are Latched and not LevelSensitive.

dsrking

Aug 10, 2010, 10:01:28 AM8/10/10
Hi to all

thanks for your valuable inputs.

i have loaded the driver for my ISA device with IO mapped and able to
get base address. I have one doubt regarding this,

Shall I directly access the base address from .inf file
( IoConfig=40@300-33f%ff00(3ff::) ) and proceed read/write without any
special API conversion like, "MmMapIoSpace"?

Is it right or we should use this type conversion!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
D.

Maxim S. Shatskih

Aug 10, 2010, 10:20:30 AM8/10/10
> special API conversion like, "MmMapIoSpace"?

MmMapIoSpace is for memory-mapped IO, not for IO ports.

dsrking

Aug 10, 2010, 11:49:08 AM8/10/10
So i can directly access bass address from .inf file IoConfig region?

thanks,
D.

Maxim S. Shatskih

Aug 10, 2010, 2:53:03 PM8/10/10
> So i can directly access bass address from .inf file IoConfig region?

No.

To be proper, you should leave the PnP installer (which interprets your INF) to put these config values to some PnP registry.

Then your driver will get MJ_START_DEVICE with .AllocatedResourcesTranslated, where you will see your port numbers. Save them to the devext and then use READ/WRITE_PORT_UCHAR/USHORT to access the hardware.

This is the proper way.

But yes, it will be the same address :-)

dsrking

Aug 11, 2010, 11:01:11 AM8/11/10
hi maxim,

>>remember that ISA interrupts are Latched and not LevelSensitive.

It will affect the interrupt handler routine in my driver or i need to
change any settings in interrupt handler routines.

Thanks for your quick response.

Regards,

Maxim S. Shatskih

Aug 11, 2010, 12:07:16 PM8/11/10
> It will affect the interrupt handler routine in my driver or i need to
> change any settings in interrupt handler routines.

Register your interrupt as Latched.

James M. Evans

Aug 31, 2010, 7:38:15 AM8/31/10
Good Morning, I am receiving Microsoft internal emails on my home computer,
Why?

On 8/9/10 11:55 AM, in article #mD3Ft9N...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "Maxim