Runtime Error 3151 connection failed

P Singh

Nov 8, 2001, 1:46:21 PM11/8/01
Hi fellows,

I have an Access 2000 database with tables linked to DB2
database, database is used for generating reports.

I have 11 reports and when I try to open all the reports,
after opening about 5 or 6 reports ODBC connection is
disconnected (that’s what my understanding is), and I get
the message box where I have to enter my ID and password.
Message pops up once for every sub-report and some times
it works and sometimes I get the runtime error message
3151 connection failed. Any help will be appreciated

Is there any limit on the number of reports access can
open at an instance or is there a limit on sub-reports.

You can respond directly to me as well as on the forum.

Your help will be much appreciated.

P Singh

Parmind...@wcb.ab.ca

Steven Bras [MS]

Nov 12, 2001, 1:01:02 PM11/12/01
I think the best place to look for a resolution to this is an update to
your Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). If you are using an older
version, there are similar issues with linked tables in our case histories.

If you are using a version earlier than 2.5 sp2, I would recommend updating
your system. You can determine the version of MDAC installed as follows:

1. Open the ODBC Administrator control panel application;
2. Click on the About tab (farthest to the right);
3. Note the version of all the DLLs listed (they should all be the same);
4. Use the following list to determine the version of MDAC installed:

MDAC Version File Version
2.0 3.510.3002.13
2.0 sp1 3.510.3002.23
2.0 sp2 3.510.3002.23
2.1 sp1 3.510.3711.0
2.1 sp2 3.510.4202.0
2.5 3.520.4403.2
2.5 sp1 3.520.5303.2
2.5 sp2 3.520.6019.0
2.6 3.520.6526.0
2.6 sp1 3.520.7326.0
2.7 3.520.7713.0

5. If using any version prior to 2.5 sp2, download and upgrade to 2.5 sp2.
The update is available at http://www.microsoft.data/data.
6. If you wish, you may then update to 2.7.

This problem may also be a server-side one; it is possible that your
network or DB2 itself is failing to hold your connection open. To cover
that possibility, I would recommend that you ensure your DB2 client
installation is the most current, with all fixpacks offered by IBM for that
version.

Good luck!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

P Singh

Nov 14, 2001, 12:16:54 PM11/14/01
Thanks for the quick response, it is working fine and I
hope it will keep that way. Thanks once again.

>.

Steven Bras [MS]

Nov 15, 2001, 5:07:58 PM11/15/01
My pleasure!