Pls Help! ADODB.Connection error '800a0cb3' on BeginTrans

Tom Bates

Mar 3, 2003, 4:01:48 PM3/3/03
I had this working under Windows 2000 Workstation, then I had to
install Windows 2000 Server SP3 for other reasons. I'm sure I then
tested this stuff successfully here at my office, but now with the
machine at the customer's site, I can read and write data but can't
initiate any transactional processing.

set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.Open Application("dbConnection")
set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
conn.BeginTrans <-- error happens here

The error is:
ADODB.Connection error '800a0cb3'
The operation requested by the application is not supported by the
provider.

I used a software sniffer to look at the HTTP conversation, and
nowhere do I see that error message come across, nor do any of the
response headers indicate an error. All are OK.

I have tried looking at event logs, services currently running, and a
lot of other stuff that I don't really know what I'm looking at. I've
not yet succeeded in fixing it. Meanwhile, the customer's site is not
working fully, as any operation requiring transaction processing is
broken.

I'm also having a problem with a non-paged pool memory leak that uses
up all of memory in a little over a day, but I don't think that's
related.

Any pointers on where to look? What needs to be running? I've hit a
brick wall and I'm ready to give up and go into farming.

TIA
Tom

Ramesh

Mar 3, 2003, 4:49:17 PM3/3/03
What backend database are you connecting to? which provider do you use?

Thanks

Ramesh Thyagarajan, MCSD,MCDBA
Microsoft Developer support

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Tom Bates

Mar 3, 2003, 6:59:59 PM3/3/03

Sorry, I thought I put that in there. Please excuse possible line breaks in what follows; there are several very long lines.

Also, please excuse the length of the post, but I did want to provide as much information as I thought relevant, so as to not waste others' time.

(1) The database is Access 97. One .mdb contains code and links to the other .mdb with the data; both are in the same directory on one machine. The web server and database are on separate machines.

(2a) The connection string in my ASP VBScript is generally:

conn.Open Application("dbConnection")

(2b) where Application("dbConnection") is defined in global.asa in the Application_OnStart function as:

Application("dbServer") = "http://xx.xx.xx.xx:ppp"
Application("dbSource") = "ProductionDatabase"
Application("dbConnection") = "PROVIDER=MS Remote;REMOTE SERVER=" & Application("dbServer") & ";DATA SOURCE=" & Application("dbSource") & ";HANDLER=MSDFMAP.Handler"

(2c) and the msdfmap.ini file is as follows:

[connect default]
;If we want to disable unknown connect values, we set Access to NoAccess
Access=NoAccess

;[sql default]
;If we want to disable unknown sql values, we set Sql to an invalid query.
;Sql=" "

[connect ProductionDatabase]
Access=ReadWrite
Connect="DSN=CcDSN;Handler=MSDFMap.Handler"

(2d) and the ODBC DSN is a System DSN:

Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
path to database file specified and valid
no system database
no login name or password listed
not exclusive or read-only
ExtendedAnsiSQL: 0
FIL: MS Access
MaxBufferSize: 2048
MaxScanRows: 8
PageTimeout: 5
ReadOnly: 0
SafeTransactions: 0
Threads: 3
UserCommitSync: Yes

(3a) Reading from and writing to the database is working fine.
Transactions are working internally; that is, on the intranet where the database server resides, workstations are running Access 97 and the system is in working order.
Of course, they're not using the web server, just accessing the database across the network with Access 97 forms, macros, modules and queries.
I would think this means IIS, OLEDB, etc are not involved for internal users. But MSDTC is still involved.

(4a) The error page returned contains:

Error Type:
ADODB.Connection (0x800A0CB3)
Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation.

(4b) and the line that's failing is:

conn.BeginTrans

(5) Is the non-paged pool leak relevant?

---------------
Also, I'm absolutely NOT asserting that there's a bug. Rather, what am I fairly certain of is that I don't have things set up properly to get transactions to work...
...although I thought I had this working in the MS REMOTE environment when the client's machine was here in my office!

Thanks, I appreciate your time and consideration.
Tom

Tom Bates

Mar 3, 2003, 8:46:09 PM3/3/03
I'm beginning to doubt whether I actually tested with MS Remote and
transactions using conn.BeginTrans. I have another machine here in my
office running Windows 2000 Professional, and it doesn't seem to support
the transaction logic on the connection either. Am I trying to do
something that won't work?

Tom