RPC exception 1726 - DAX 4Sp1

Svein

Jan 11, 2008, 8:23:01 AM1/11/08
One installation have problems with unstable AOS. The AOS will sometimes hang
/ crash, and users experience to be thrown out of the system. 1-2 restarts of
AOS during working order is not popular.

When running a report gatering statistics for custumers / items - it seems
to happen more frequent. The report might 'hang' the local client for a long
while (20-30min), before the AOS crashes, with an error statis it's lost the
connection to the DB server.

Is the same report is started from an Terminalserver or the AOS itself, it
completes in about 2min. Also if client send the output to a file, and not to
screen/printer, it completes in 2min.

I'm abit confused, but the eventlog gives info about AOS and RPC.

Axapta is 4.0 Sp2
AOS server - Windows 2003 SP2 (so the known KB cannot be applied)
DB server MSSQL 2005 (9.00.2047.00), also Windows 2003 SP2 as OS

From eventlog of AOS:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Dynamics Server 02
Event Category: None
Event ID: 180
Date: 11.01.2008
Time: 12:00:48
User: N/A
Computer: AAA-OBJECT01
Object Server 02: RPC error: RPC exception 1726 occurred in session 34

Happy for any ideas
Svein

Amar Nalla [MSFT]

Jan 13, 2008, 10:02:27 PM1/13/08
Hi Svein,
You can troubleshoot RPC messages by running the following command:
net helpmsg <number>

In your case the error is "The remote procedure call failed.". By itself
this is not very useful but what it does indicate is that the server was not
able to process a request.
Do you know if crash dumps have been sent for the crashes that you are
experiencing.

Thank you,
Amar Nalla [MSFT]
PS: This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights or warranties.

"Svein" <Sv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Svein

Jan 14, 2008, 9:41:00 AM1/14/08
Hi!
The customer called me after the crash, I investigated the server and
errorlogs and forund the RPC issue. I do not know if they sendt the report,
I asked, but no answer.

They also had problems running backup of the AOS server from another server
(file backup to tape).

I'm beginning to thonk there is a issue with Windows / RPC rather than the
AOS itself.
br
Svein

Rasheed

Jan 17, 2008, 6:44:47 AM1/17/08
Hi guys,

are you using terminal services (or similar technology) ??
if yes then your problem can be 'ungraceful' closign of ax sessions..
microsoft released a document recently on aos stabilization. i suggest
you go through it.

@ work.. will write again when i get time

Mirjam

Jul 3, 2008, 4:51:01 AM7/3/08
Hello Svein,

Have you been able to sort this out? We have been having the same problem at
the moment at a client running AX4Sp2.

If anybody has tips on how to further troubleshoot, please tell.

Mirjam

Rasheed

Jul 5, 2008, 4:13:14 PM7/5/08
Guys,

i must admit i did not find a fix that would completely resolve the
issue... but there are ways you can minimise its impact.

1. install win03 sp2 (if not already done)... on all servers
2. set the auto logoff (on sysuserInfo or Tools> options) to 20 (this
will kill the ax session if its been idle for 20mins .. (your are free
to set it as you like.. but remember its better if you choose a
smaller time frame).
3. avoid printer mapping view rdp (i am assuming that some of you are
using terminal servers).. use a dedicated print server ...
4. ask the users not to shut down ax using the task manager (some
users do this if their session freezes or if they cant wait for a
process to finish executing).... a users session should only be closed
using the online users form in ax..

hope this helps..

regards,
Mohammed
www.dynamic-ax.co.uk

Mirjam

Jul 9, 2008, 8:52:01 AM7/9/08
"Rasheed" wrote:

Well, we seem to have a fix... The AOS crashes (at least in our case) don't
seem to be related to the RPC issues. We made an error report at
partnersource and received the week27 kernel of SP2. At this moment we didn't
have a crash for over 2 days. The eventlog OTOH is still filled with RPC
errors... We haven't found any side-effects yet, the kernel was sent as-is
and not fully tested, but our customer only uses Financial.

Maybe this will also help others struggeling with the same problems.

Saunier@discussions.microsoft.com stephane Saunier

Jul 11, 2008, 9:07:01 AM7/11/08
I have excatly the same pb
where can I download this kernel SP2 ?

Mirjam

Jul 11, 2008, 9:12:05 AM7/11/08
It's not publically downloadable - it was made available to us by Microsoft
through an issue at partnersource. You have to contact them to get it.

Good luck,

Mirjam Kroonder

stephane

Jul 11, 2008, 9:43:01 AM7/11/08
what is build numbers of this patch

Mirjam

Jul 11, 2008, 9:51:01 AM7/11/08
Build number of the kernel is 4.0.2503.316
Build of the application is 4.0.2501.116

vinceperta

Nov 21, 2008, 1:58:10 PM11/21/08
I've found that this error occurs (in DAX40SP2) in cases where the client process has been closed unexpectedly.

My scenario is as follows...

The BOM Lines report's "Select" screen has two criteria lines for Item Number, one for the Items table, another for the Item Criteria table. If the user places the item number in the Item Criteria table, the client hangs/locks up as the report runs (I presume the report is trying to pull for all items).

During this time, the Ax32serv.exe process on the AOS will use a good amount of CPU, but that will depend on how many CPU/cores the AOS has. No error messages yet.

When the user gets tired of waiting, they will either ctrl-alt-del and end the Ax32.exe client process, or will attempt to close the AX window which pops up and Not Responding screen with an End Now button. This basically crashes the client process.

The server is unaware that the client is no longer there, so it continues processing, but because it no longer can connect to the client, the RPC exception 1726 error start popping up (a lot of them, and fast). During the time these errors are popping up, the memory used by the Ax32serv.exe process on the AOS skyrockets.

Eventually, clients (both already connected, and new attempts to connect) begin getting the following error:
------Communication Error--------
"The Server need to free resources. Your session has been terminated".
---------------------------------
In the case of load balanced AOS's, matters are made worse, since the affected AOS is dropping users and not allowing new ones, it will have less online users, making it the choice for any new connections. So all users are directed to the AOS which will immediately boot them. But don't worry, the user who caused the problem on that AOS, probably logged in again and tried to do the same thing on other AOS's as well, so they are likely on the same path to failure.

The session indicated in the error message can still be seen in the Administration>Online Users form since the AOS is not aware the client is no longer active due to the way it was terminated. If you End Session (might as well, the client isn't connected anymore), the RPC error messages, the CPU usage, and the memory growth all cease.

I am actively monitoring the event log on all my AOS's for such messages. I'm doing this archaically via the following vbs script, which will popup a message on the computer it is run on whenever it encounters a 180 event code/id message on the AOS (The RPC messages are under this code/id):

-----------monitoraos1.vbs---------
strComputer = "ax-aos1"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{(Security)}\\" & _
strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colMonitoredEvents = objWMIService.ExecNotificationQuery _
("Select * from __InstanceCreationEvent Where " _
& "TargetInstance ISA 'Win32_NTLogEvent' " _
& "and TargetInstance.EventCode = '180' ")

Do
Set objLatestEvent = colMonitoredEvents.NextEvent
Wscript.Echo _
"Computer:" & strComputer & _
",User:" & objLatestEvent.TargetInstance.User & _
",Time:" & objLatestEvent.TargetInstance.TimeWritten & _
",Msg:" & objLatestEvent.TargetInstance.Message
Loop

This allows me to see when the error first occurs, and let me know the session causing it. When the popups repeat indefinitely, it is likely that the server resources are being chewed up by a client that is no longer connected. Occasionally, the RPC error pops up just once or twice for a session. I believe this is when the server finishes whatever it was waiting on and realizes the client is gone and ends the session itself.

Otherwise, by checking the Online Users form and finding the session in the error, you can see which user it was and question them as to what they were doing when their client locked up to find the true source (in my case, the BOM report).

I know the ctrl-alt-del can be disabled, but if anyone has a good way to prevent the user's from getting the "End Now" option, I would love to hear it.

I wish the best to everyone dealing with such memory issues and hope that this information is helpful.

vinceperta